R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm losing my effing mind!!!  (Read 9306 times)

archtop

Re: I'm losing my effing mind!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 07:08:27 PM »

iCombs wrote on Fri, 06 April 2007 00:05

(It's like that annoying woman who taps you on the shoulder when you're running the board at some gig and says "You know that you can't hear the vocals...)

Dude that bitch followed me around  half of the 80's.

She's the reason, my live mixes are pretty freakin' hot vocals,...always,
('cause you never know what gig she's gonna be at).

But she was right.

Now she don't have to say that to me anymore.
Richard Williams

Iain Graham

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 08:30:25 PM »

The first thing I was taught about live mixing wass to get the paycheck in the mix, make it nice and loud and leave it there.

Usually works too.
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

Iain Graham

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 08:37:01 PM »

Have you tried a DFA on this guy.

Give him the same mix and see if he notices the difference. Just claim you followed his advice.....
Iain Graham

www . soundart . com

M Carter

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 11:04:04 PM »

Is it me, or do the clients paying the least amount of money have the highest, most ridiculous expectations?
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

rankus

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 01:37:10 PM »

M Carter wrote on Fri, 06 April 2007 20:04

Is it me, or do the clients paying the least amount of money have the highest, most ridiculous expectations?

It's not just you.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

iCombs

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 06:58:35 PM »

Alright, kids...so I think I've got this whole situation figured out...I remixed a track on my own time in my own way...which I think was my mistake in the frist place.  I literally did what they asked me to...which I knew was a bad idea.  So I went back to trusting my increasingly expierienced gut over their neophyte wants...and son of a bitch did I turn out a good mix!

I'm putting my foot down on their bullshit...and I'm putting out good mixes that I'll be comfortable with my name on.  If they don't like it, then they can live with the shit they "produced," and I'll have them take my name off it.  Either way...I'm getting paid for this.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

M Carter

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 07:14:53 PM »

believe it or not, in the record I mentioned before that was draggin on, it really did help to pull the artist in and get him involved in the mixes.

If nothing else it really made him feel like he had given some input to the way his record was coming out and eased a ton of tension.  At the end of the day, it is the artists record, isn't it?

Matt Carter
General Manager
(212) 564 8248

iCombs

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 07:58:22 PM »

I understand that completely...and I'm re-attacking this two ways...one by trusting my gut like I should have the first time around...and two by getting the whole band involved and not just the drummer (whose only focus seems to be drums).
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

M Carter

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 10:56:08 PM »

is there a band leader?  THAT's the guy that should be making the decisions.  

what I ended up doing was telling the rapper "look man, there's no one acting as producer on this record, if you want it your way, then you have to start thinking like a producer and be able to tell me what you want.  otherwise I'm left to make decisions on my own that you might not agree with".

maybe you could tell the band to make notes AS A BAND about what they want, and have them designate one member to guide you.  otherwise you'll run into a celebrity pigf#$@ck.

Matt Carter
General Manager
(212) 564 8248

Iain Graham

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 10:19:02 AM »

I've had 2 band members telling me to do different things on a mix tweak from the same e-mail address.

Once I figured out that's what was going on, I told em to meet up, make the decision together and stop waisting my time by telling me conflicting things to do.
Iain Graham

www . soundart . com

craig boychuk

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2007, 12:12:07 PM »

iCombs wrote on Sat, 07 April 2007 18:58

...and two by getting the whole band involved and not just the drummer (whose only focus seems to be drums).

Yeah man, sometimes it really pays to get everyone in the same room. In fact, now that I do most of my mixing ITB, that is something I miss from the days when we'd just book a block of time at the studio.

Now, it's like "ok, just give me a ref when it's ready" then you had out a bunch of refs & get back several conflicting opinions on things...do a revision & repeat ad nauseum...

It's waaaay easier to just let the band hash things out themselves & give you a consensus instead of pulling you into a sea of weird and conflicting opinions.

Certainly it can also be a pain having that many people around, but sometimes it's a blessing.

-craig
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

rankus

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2007, 01:36:18 PM »

I always ask the band to listen to the refs and make notes on what they like and don't like individually,.. then get together at their next rehearsal and sit down and listen to the CD together. From that make a single list of changes that they all agree on....

Then come into the studio, preferably the whole band, and we go down the list together having them sign off on each tune as we go...

This way they are all on the same page... I will not take direction from any one member individually...  This method actually works really well....

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

iCombs

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2007, 01:42:40 PM »

That's the approach I'm now taking.  I'm hoping that the rest of the band will keep the drummer in line, because he seems to be the most egregious "tweaker" of the bunch.  He's also the biggest ego and the guy who yes/no's most of the decisions, so if there's a "leader," it's him.  The problem is, he only thinks in terms of "my drums aren't loud enough."  So...we're getting there...this project should be in the can by friday...which makes it 2 weeks of hell for $600...but it's also been a huge lesson about process for these sorts of projects, and I've really had to work on my people skills with a VICIOUSLY Minnesota-style passive-agressive dink who doesn't know anything about anything.  
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

mattrussell

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 07:01:34 PM »

one of the best things you can do with bands is provide a plain-english mixing agreement for them to sign.  it won't hold up in court, but this is for bands that can't afford what you're worth let alone what a lawsuit would cost anyway.

i make it really simple.  50% down in case of band disasters and nothing more than a 128kbps mp3's until payment is made in full.  

here's the crucial part:  they get the first mix from me and they listen to it.  i get ONE list of mix changes from ONE predetermined contact person (noted on the agreement).  i then make those changes and await a FINAL SET of tweaks.  these tweak must be found by me to be just that, TWEAKS not changes that require i remix the whole song.  if I AGREE to make the final tweaks, then that's what they are, FINAL TWEAKS.  if the band decides they still don't like what they have (after three mixes i've done that they can now choose from), it's over.  they pay me in full to mix it again or they take their ball and go home.  at that point, i truly don't care either way.  they chose me because they generally like what i do.  if they don't like my take on it, there are lots of other chefs out there to make their soup "better".

with those rules spelled out, i can always go back to the agreement when things get nutty.  they often do.
matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

craig boychuk

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 12:07:21 PM »

Slightly OT here, but I notice a lot of folks talking about handing out only MP3s for refs...

Is this really a good practice? I always find that the sound changes quite a bit, especially at low bitrates - not even taking into consideration the gawd-awful artifacts that get introduced. How can you make an accurate judgment on the mix from a shitty MP3?

I'm sure people will say "well, that's the final format in many cases anyway" but I still don't buy it...Personally, if I was recording with my own band and the engineer handed me MP3s, I would insist on uncompressed PCM files. If they wouldn't do that, then I would take my business elsewhere.

Just curious on people's reasoning...

-craig
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.