R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: spring reverb needed - any suggestions  (Read 16517 times)

Fletcher

Re: spring reverb needed - any suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 09:53:59 AM »

One thing I've found over the years is that spring reverbs can be awesome for drum stuff... but it's usually best to put a really quick peak limiter on the send so the transients don't make the thing go "boing".
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Coco

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 10:44:38 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 02 March 2007 14:53

One thing I've found over the years is that spring reverbs can be awesome for drum stuff... but it's usually best to put a really quick peak limiter on the send so the transients don't make the thing go "boing".

Cool tip. I never thought of that.

I like the Accutronics Accuverb I have. Tubey and springy.
Colin G.

mr jason

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 12:39:49 AM »

The AKG BX20 doesn't go boing on drums, in my experience, but every other spring I've used does without a limiter.

jchristopherhughes

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »

gotta go with fletcher on this one...the DEMETER reverb is freakin GREAT !!!

i have a bunch of boxes...one of my favorites is a sound workshop stereo spring verb that i bought only because 2 of them were in the rack i wanted at a yard sale..

they sat for 5 years till one day i actually plugged em in...holy sh!@ !!!

great on vocals and clean guitar lines...

i have used a few of the orbans, and just did not care for them myself..the ones i tried were REAL BOINGY and NOISY !!!

the DEMETER pretty much rules..

peace..
jchristopherhughes
jchristopherhughes

studilaroche

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 07:38:08 PM »

Here's another recommendation for the AKG BX20E.  Like others have mentioned, it's not too 'boingy'.  Oddly enough, I just wired mine up in my new studio today.  It's also quite a handsome piece of gear.
In a studio I used to work at, we had a Master Room spring.  In my opinion, the BX20 is a few more usable reverb; the MasterRoom is rather 'boingy'.
Ben
Benjamin Price
studilaroche productions. inc.
Atlanta, GA

danickstr

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 05:17:31 AM »

Using Fletcher's trick, you may be able  to take one of those springs listed on "the worst reverb ever" thread and make it into a usable product.

excpet for the mr microphone, welll...hey maybe even that thing...
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 02:16:41 AM »

I have a buddy, a mixer, he said he had something to show me at his place. He acted like it was really . serious, So, I went over had lunch and what he wanted me to see was a technique for tuning a spring reverb.

He had broken open a unit extended the rca drive lines to the actual spring unit and had it set up so the could swap out the springs. Then he showed me how he would tear little pieces of paper and stuff them into the spring coils. We then sat with headphones for like an hour. And I listened as he put newspaper, a Time magazine and bits of index cards INTO the springs. Different papers had different  weight, therefore different effects. Also, he found the middle and each end would make a big difference.. Other people were using different rooms, and they totally tripped out that I sat with him for so long. They had long considered the project worthless, but I was impressed.. When I say small, I mean a quarter of an inch to half an inch.
 The effect seemed a little like it was an adjustment that could only go one way from zero, but should have a second direction! And with enough crap shoved in there it just became too heavy and the output dropped. COOL!
 I'm really getting off on an old Eventide H949, that I think is broken, sure hope so. Anyway the Harminizor just sounds out of tune and oscilates, but the delay is cool. I am thinking about that and a spring if  a reasonable mix opportunity presents itself!
Steve

Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

flanger_folly

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 04:07:31 PM »

New Orleans Steve wrote on Sun, 18 March 2007 01:16

I have a buddy, a mixer, he said he had something to show me at his place. He acted like it was really . serious, So, I went over had lunch and what he wanted me to see was a technique for tuning a spring reverb.

He had broken open a unit extended the rca drive lines to the actual spring unit and had it set up so the could swap out the springs. Then he showed me how he would tear little pieces of paper and stuff them into the spring coils. We then sat with headphones for like an hour. And I listened as he put newspaper, a Time magazine and bits of index cards INTO the springs. Different papers had different  weight, therefore different effects. Also, he found the middle and each end would make a big difference.. Other people were using different rooms, and they totally tripped out that I sat with him for so long. They had long considered the project worthless, but I was impressed.. When I say small, I mean a quarter of an inch to half an inch.
 The effect seemed a little like it was an adjustment that could only go one way from zero, but should have a second direction! And with enough crap shoved in there it just became too heavy and the output dropped. COOL!
 I'm really getting off on an old Eventide H949, that I think is broken, sure hope so. Anyway the Harminizor just sounds out of tune and oscilates, but the delay is cool. I am thinking about that and a spring if  a reasonable mix opportunity presents itself!
Steve

If you eq the send, that is a cool combo for hand percussion, like conga...
George Toledo III
X The Unknown
www.myspace.com/xsongs

Neon Noodle

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 11:16:38 AM »

Regarding the Demeter RV-1: can someone explain the logic behind having a shorter reverb on one channel and a longer 'verb on the other? I traditionally use spring reverb in stereo, and having this sort of configuration leads me to think that it'd sound out-of-balance if i hooked one of these units up that way. I guess having a pair of RV-1's in tandem would solve the problem and then i'd have stereo-short and stereo-long options.
Look upon the Neon Noodle
Coming at you, the great cheese doodle
Amid the keyboards he will tinker
To feed your mind and twist your thinker

Jetblack

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »

-BX 20 is awesome. NEVER goes "boing" on percussive sounds.
-BX 10, although sounding really different is great too.
-Original (not re-issue) Fender reverb tanks (make sure you match the impedance or it sounds weird)
-Vans Amps spring reverb guitar pedal. Fun weird sounds...
-Demeter is on the want list.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 10:15:04 PM »

Grab the spring assemblies out of some Hammond Tone Cabinets, or an early A-100.

Bryson

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 09:03:27 AM »

Doesn't the Orban have a limiter built in, to prevent the boingies?

A friend of mine has an Opamp Labs spring reverb (complete with one of Opamp's limiter modules in the chain) that sounds most excellent

Paul Cavins

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 08:06:50 PM »

Neon Noodle wrote on Mon, 02 April 2007 11:16

Regarding the Demeter RV-1: can someone explain the logic behind having a shorter reverb on one channel and a longer 'verb on the other? I traditionally use spring reverb in stereo, and having this sort of configuration leads me to think that it'd sound out-of-balance if i hooked one of these units up that way. I guess having a pair of RV-1's in tandem would solve the problem and then i'd have stereo-short and stereo-long options.

The Demeter has buttons which allow you to link the inputs and/or outputs. To be honest, I just push the buttons in and out until it sounds good, but you can link the channels.

PC
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.