R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting My Garage  (Read 16026 times)

franman

Re: Converting My Garage
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 06:06:52 PM »

Take it easy Dave... don't want you to get in over your head!! LOL... Twisted Evil

The ratio listed is a good starting point, but as has been pointed out many times, each size calls for individual calculation of room ratios... sounds like this is well underway at this point.. Best of luck Dude and keep us advised!!

Dave Snyder wrote on Tue, 07 August 2007 23:33

1:1.6:2.33 "golden ratio".  I've never used it, but I've read about it.  Any opinions?

Workable CR dimensions for your garage would be 8' ceiling x 12.8' width x 18.64' length.  

Leaves room for the iso.  Good luck!!

Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

el duderino

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »

hey all, i'm back from working like a dog for what feels like eternity.

so most of the electrical is run (some going through the floor and in a wall yet to be built) ceiling beams are up, insulation on the exterior walls are done, vapor barrier, and we started to drywall the ceiling 2 days ago. what a pain in the ass that is! and i swear pics are coming very soon.

Right now, I'm wondering about my room dimensions. Particularly about having air gaps (large ones) behind two walls.

what i'm currently planning on will make the control room 9'8 1/4" High, 15'4 1/2" Long, and 12' 2 1/4" Wide. My question really is in relation to the length of the room. The actual length now is 18' 11.5" so there would be an air gap of a bit under 22" at the front or the back.

does this sound nuts? i've been trying to get a good ratio and this is pretty much it. but, it isn't a big room and 3.5' is kind of alot to lose. will this help much, or should I try to keep the space?

I keep reading as much as I can, but having never done this and reading that sometimes things still don't work out it makes me wonder.

Wish I had the dough for a proper consultation but I need to afford some gear for this thing when its done too! Rolling Eyes

any help is much appreciated as always.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 01:48:48 AM »

My instinct -- and it's nothing more than that, and certainly not supported by any of the science -- is that for "small" rooms I'd err towards a larger room size than any specific set of room ratios.  That is, unless you can find good uses for the chopped up spaces.

el duderino

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 10:13:43 AM »

thats exactly what crossed my mind. it isnt a big space so having as much space as possible would be nice. I'm just concerned about modes and if the walls (with the air gap) will really make a difference. Not bothering neighbors is a concern, but its already pretty damn quite in there.

hmmmmm.......

ps: tried to upload pics last night but I used my fiance's camera and of coarse now the battery charger is mia. Evil or Very Mad

rankus

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 01:35:12 PM »

I too would go for more space.  You can always plug it up later by building say, floor to ceiling lockers/storage etc.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Wes Lachot

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 09:22:19 AM »

el duderino wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 13:50

Right now, I'm wondering about my room dimensions. Particularly about having air gaps (large ones) behind two walls.

what i'm currently planning on will make the control room 9'8 1/4" High, 15'4 1/2" Long, and 12' 2 1/4" Wide. My question really is in relation to the length of the room. The actual length now is 18' 11.5" so there would be an air gap of a bit under 22" at the front or the back.

does this sound nuts? i've been trying to get a good ratio and this is pretty much it. but, it isn't a big room and 3.5' is kind of alot to lose.

Here's a way you can make your room deeper and still maintain good ratios. Check it out -

You are currently using the old 1 : 1.26 : 1.59 ratios, which I like very much and have had good results with. But you can increase your depth to 17'-0 and obtain the ratios 1 : 1.26 : 1.76, which are just as good if not better. That gives you a width to depth ratio of 1 : 1.4, which is about the best ratio out there (an augmented fourth).

--Wes
Wes Lachot Design
weslachot.com

el duderino

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »

Thanks Wes! that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to look into the augmented fourth's as I dont fully understand it, but from what you say it sure sounds good.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

gullfo

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »

here's a couple of good links that will only take, um, a little bit of time to go through Wink Twisted Evil

http://weslachotdesign.com/new/articles_scales_content.html

http://goldennumber.net/
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

el duderino

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »

hello all..

first my apologies for having not kept up with this thread as i had originally intended. life sometimes is full of crazy things that eat up your time, among other things. but the garage is getting veryclose to done. with actual building anyway.

I swear pics are coming in the next couple days, but basically where im at is as follows:

all walls framed, insulated, and drywalled
all wiring done
floor framed and insulated and now has one layer of ply on it

the floor sits on u-boats btw.

basically whats left is the second layer of plywood for the floor,  the iso booth window, hooking up the AC/heater mini split system (electrical already run for it), doors for the iso and the closet, the actual flooring (probably laminate fake wood stuff), the real lighting fixtures, and painting.

the first half of that list will be getting done this weekend. along with smoothing out/fixing any spackling.

it feels good to finally be getting somewhere. the last few months have been filled all sorts of un-fun things....my "foreman" broke his arm real bad and was out of commission for a while (ever seen an external facilitator?), my mom had cancer removed (looking good they say), 2 couples im friends with got divorced, and the majority of my friends helping me were on tour for the last month. not to mention that whole holiday period where everyone is always busy or... well you get the point.

so, things are back on track and now im wondering about acoustic treatment and such. i was going to build things but ive decided to buy most things instead. ive been looking at GIK products. real traps seem great but too much $ for me for the amount i'll probably need to buy

right now im considering putting carpet on the ceiling. in part because im worried about too many reflections but also so i dont have to look at the, lets say, less than perfect spackle job on the ceiling. Very Happy  I'm figuring with hard floors it shouldnt be too much but would like to hear your thoughts on it.

i plan on getting some diffusors, probably the auralex spacearray or the rpg omnifusor but need to check prices. i saw the GIK diffusor but man is that thing ugly. inexpensive, but ugly.

again, sorry to have seemingly abandoned the thread.

gullfo

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 11:33:43 AM »

skip the carpet on the ceiling. its likely a ifre safety/code violation as well as being worse than nothing... put up some GIK 242 or 244 absorbers on the ceiling - space them apart by 18-24" - this will give you enough to hide the spackling Smile and provide a good level of absorption.
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

rankus

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 04:16:49 PM »

Pictures pictures pictures !  Smile

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

el duderino

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »

well nothing happened this weekend since everyone had things to do on sunday for easter and me with the wacky schedule was busy saturday all day. so, excuse the mess Laughing

here is the view when you walk in. the mix position will be a bit in front of where that brown corner desk is.index.php/fa/8263/0/

el duderino

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »

here is the view when you walk in if you look a bit left at the iso,closet, and rear of the control room.

index.php/fa/8264/0/

el duderino

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 08:50:40 PM »

here is the same view but looking up....the lights are temporary until its painted and i get some sort positional/track lighting. which reminds me, any suggestions on dimmers? they can be a pita.

index.php/fa/8265/0/

el duderino

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »

here is the view from the iso windowindex.php/fa/8267/0/
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 17 queries.