R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zero feedback vs feedback in audio power amp design  (Read 29118 times)

maxdimario

Re: Zero feedback vs feedback in audio power amp design
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2007, 11:33:38 AM »

Sahib wrote on Thu, 03 May 2007 01:40

Hi Bruno,

I was just reading Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook by Douglas Self. He states that he carried out serious tests (at 0.0006% level)which includes spectrum analysis of the residual and found no evidence of thermal distortion in discerete power amplifiers (page 153-156).

Are you able to mention your test data to make comparisons?

Regards,

Cemal

SIGNAL DEPENDENT.

Quince

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2007, 01:39:26 PM »

It would make sense that opamps would have the worst thermal memory distortion because of the tiny semiconductor sizes and having the output stages in the same thermal package as the input an VAS.
In another forum I brought up the issue, and someone claimed that it wouldn't matter where the opamps are used in unity gain.  However I'm not sure that is so, since the open loop gain remains high.  What do you guys think?

I'm working on implementing thermal memory models for transistors in SPICE, but I don't know how I could do that for opamps unless simulating a discrete opamp.
Chat with us live at #diyaudio on irc.rizon.net !

"One of the surest signs of Conrad's genius is that women dislike his books." --George Orwell

bruno putzeys

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2007, 04:20:17 PM »

Any error committed by the input stage gets multiplied by noise gain, which equals gain for noninverting ckts and 1+gain for inverting circuits.

Op amp designers have become extremely adept at keeping thermal gradients (or parameter gradients due to processing) across the chip from producing offsets. Tons of papers have been written on how to construct differential amplifiers and current mirrors using multiple parallel transistors laid-out such that the errors cancel out. The result is that it's quite rare to see the input offset wobble with instantaneous power dissipation in the output stage. If we can ignore the effect, that's owing to extremely diligent work from the chip designers.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Quince

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »

The measurement in the Perrot paper is not trivial, so I've been working on SPICE modeling for thermal memory on individual transistors.  I'm not sure how to translate that to opamps, unless I simulate a discrete opamp based on internal schematics as are available in some datasheets.  But how on earth to guess thermal capacitance and conductance values for transistors on a chip...
Chat with us live at #diyaudio on irc.rizon.net !

"One of the surest signs of Conrad's genius is that women dislike his books." --George Orwell
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.