R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 'new' DMM facility?  (Read 9595 times)

EP

'new' DMM facility?
« on: March 28, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »

There was mention on a techno producers list that a 'new' DMM cutting facility is open in France, but no details. I'm just curious, as I hadn't heard of anything.

Anybody know the scoop?

(obviously if a new facility opened that means an existing one shut down as I doubt there were any vms-82's sitting in storage Smile

Cheers,

Erik

TotalSonic

Re: 'new' DMM facility?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 07:05:40 PM »

Interesting.  
fwiw - The only bidder really in the going against the Scientologists for the Europadisk DMM lathes at the auction was in fact a Frenchman - so maybe the same person was able to locate one in Europe.

DMM lathes are kind of like the Rings of Tolkien - afaik there were only 12 made and they have been scattered to the far reaches of the earth as if they were ever in the same room together the Mastering Engineer who resided at this location would transform into the Dark Lord of Metal Mastering!!

In North America I believe:
* K-disc had one - this one was bought up by the Scientologists back in either the early or mid 90's and resides in their California based mastering studio
* Europadisk had two (one wasn't complete though) - these were sold to the Scientologists at the auction in September 2005 and also reside now in California
* Masterdisk had one that was converted to lacquer cutting sometime in either the late 90's or early this decade.
* I believe Sterling had one that was converted also.

In Europe afaik DMM lathes are still in use at:
* GZ in Czech Republic - http://www.gzvinyl.com
* Abbey Road in London - http://www.abbeyroad.com/
* The Exchange in London - http://www.exchangemastering.co.uk/
* Optimal in Germany - http://www.optimal-online.de

I believe the folks at Vinylium also had a DMM lathe that was not in working condition in storeage - http://www.vinylium.ch

So seems there are one or two "missing" based on that list.  Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Gold

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:09:25 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 19:05

So seems there are one or two "missing" based on that list.  Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

Mum is the word.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:24:10 PM »

Kind of slightly OT of the thread - but might as well mention that a Bob Weston's new mastering studio just opened in Chicago also has a VMS-70 lathe - http://www.chicagomasteringservice.com

I'm not sure where the now defunct Master Cutting Room's lathe went - is it here?: http://www.poorsparky.com/

So - there seems to still be some vinyl cutting rooms actually still opening in the USA.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Gold

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 07:36:10 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 19:24

I'm not sure where the now defunct Master Cutting Room's lathe went

It was broken up. The lathe cabinet went to Korea to be used as a turntable. The rack is being rebuilt and the cutterhead is sitting on a shelf.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

Gold

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:42:18 PM »

BTW it looks like the incomplete spare lathe from Europadisk is well on it's way to being resurected. It didn't go to the scientologists. It's in Hamburg, Germany.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 07:48:58 PM »

Gold wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 19:42

BTW it looks like the incomplete spare lathe from Europadisk is well on it's way to being resurected.

Is it being converted to lacquer cutting?  Or is this the one going to the "new" facility?

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

TotalSonic

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:51:50 PM »

Gold wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 19:36

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 19:24

I'm not sure where the now defunct Master Cutting Room's lathe went

It was broken up.

Sacriledge!  Always is a drag to hear these things for some reason, even though I kind of expect it.

Quote:

The lathe cabinet went to Korea to be used as a turntable.

Kind of the equivalent of putting a 57 Strat behind glass instead of having some gifted musician make beautiful sounds with it.

Quote:

The rack is being rebuilt and the cutterhead is sitting on a shelf.

Al is working on the rack?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Gold

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 07:54:33 PM »

I edited the above post because I didn't realize you thought it went with the other one. There was no cutting rack with the spare and only one good cutterhead that was part of the complete package.  The other cutterhead has been converted to a lacquer cutterhead. So I don't know what they plan on doing for a cutting rack and cutterhead. I know they are currently using a grampian. It would be pretty funny to have a grampian on a VMS-82.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

Gold

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 19:51

Al is working on the rack?

There are a bunch of them we are working on. Some of them came from Sony via EP.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

TotalSonic

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 08:05:04 PM »

Gold wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 19:54

I edited the above post because I didn't realize you thought it went with the other one. There was no cutting rack with the spare and only one good cutterhead that was part of the complete package.  The other cutterhead has been converted to a lacquer cutterhead. So I don't know what they plan on doing for a cutting rack and cutterhead. I know they are currently using a grampian. It would be pretty funny to have a grampian on a VMS-82.

Yeah - thanks for the correction - obviously my memory can get fuzzy after a only a  couple of years!

Anyway - putting a Grampian head on a VMS-82 is kind of like putting a Moped motor in the body of a Bentley!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

EP

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »

Gold wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 19:36

The lathe cabinet went to Korea to be used as a turntable.

I was SO happy to sell my complete system to an actual user....there was a moment when I too considered the offer to break mine down for those nutty audiophile types. Glad I waited.

fwiw the lathe at Sony now has was reported to be one of the vms82's 'down-converted' to an '80....

Anyway if there is a new French DMM facility they are not making themselves very easy to find.

Erik

TotalSonic

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 10:24:10 PM »

EP wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 20:55

fwiw the lathe at Sony now has was reported to be one of the vms82's 'down-converted' to an '80....

I think this might be the one that used to be at Sterling. I'm not sure about this though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Gold

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 11:09:37 PM »

As I understand it the VMS80 at Sony was commisioned as such. It was the lathe Bob Ludwig got for Gateway. Then it went to Sony. Unless the story came from Brad Johnson and he did the conversion. Then I believe it.

There was a DMM at Hit Factory which has seemingly dissapeared off the face of the earth. It wasn't used for years before it closed. I have come up empty in my detective work.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

Streaky

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 06:20:23 AM »

We've got one of the lathes. Converted sometime in the 1990s from DMM to lacquer. It''s the lathe-shaped thing in the background in this picture! So how many have we tracked down now?
index.php/fa/4664/0/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 22 queries.