R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: session quotes  (Read 37050 times)

M Carter

Re: session quotes
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2007, 11:34:12 AM »

Not to turn this into the 'dumb rapper quotes' thread but here's one I caught wind of the other day.

Rap Hanger-On #1 :  "Yo son, did he just say ratios?"
Rap Hanger-On #2 :  "Yeah son, that's that MATH shit"
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

xpulsar

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2007, 05:06:06 AM »

Rap session , Major label stuff.

Rappers friend: Do it do beats? (pointing at the SSL console.)

Me: Just smiled and said yep.

Rap Session different day.

Rapper: We need to get the sound of a gun cocking in the song.

One of the entourage pulls out a gun and removes the clip and bullet from the chamber. And goes into the booth and we record it. That shit make me nervous,I'm trying to not do rap sessions anymore. I'm pretty sick of the BS that goes with dealing with thugs and how they have no concept of sound at all, But expect you to make them sound amaizing and talented.

-CD

grantis

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2007, 07:55:26 PM »

kudos to all of you who have done rap sessions.  all your stories are freaking me out.  i couldn't do it.

i totally forgot about this one.....

"Can you take that SUCK out of my monitor?"

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

TheViking

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 12:48:06 AM »

oh geez...   you just reminded me of another one like that...

bassist in recording room ready to track some background vocals looks at me through the glass and says...

"hey dude...   is this glass suck-proof?"
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

typek

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »

rollmottle wrote on Fri, 30 March 2007 11:33

Thomas Lester wrote on Fri, 30 March 2007 08:40

During a gangsta' rap session.

Me:  (walk into the control room while taking a break, returning to start vocals)

Me:  (Look through the control room window into the dimmly lit live room to see the rapper behind the U47 with a wide stance and a 9mm pistol in his right hand, with his arms crossed across his chest)

Me:  "Is that a real gun?"

Rapper:  "Yes..."

Me:  "Is it loaded?"

Rapper:  "Yes..."

Me:  "Why are you holding a loaded gun?"

Rapper:  "I'm wrapping about killing people...  I want to feel like I have that power while I lay down the track.  It'll sound authentic."

Me:  "I'm not comfortable with this idea."

Rapper:  "I'm not rapping without the Gun."

Me:  (to the assistant), "get the studio manager to get their manager on the phone".

Me:  "Hold on a sec..."

We ended up agreeing to me keeping the clip and all the bullets.  He got to hold the gun.  Ironically...  the lyrics were about killing white guys.  I was the only white guy in the room....     Even with the bullets, I was feeling a bit uncomfortable...  I've got a picture of me with 9mm bullets lined up across the scribble strip of a VR72 somewhere.  I'll have to post it some time.

They were really great guys and the album turned out good and I did 2 more records with them over the following few years.  It was just that songs lyrics....

Laughing  crazy.

i recently have been workin with some gangster rap guys.. for some reason they feel the need to bring 5 too many people that want to stand there in the booth with them and shake around and such.. they are a bit intimidating but its a good learning experience.. they have gold teeth and shit..  this guy's favortite thing to say once he gets in the booth is "where's my snare", or "i need more snare in my headphones" mocking eminem's famous words..

audio~geek

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2007, 11:20:24 AM »

This thread is hilarious  Laughing

One of my teachers was telling us about a session, browsing the plugin list the artist notices the dither plugin: "Hey! The dither plugin, put that on the vocal!" So they did. "Yeah thats way better."

Also

We (the students) would be mocking Eminem "I need more dither in my headphones!"

marcel

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2007, 01:58:47 PM »

typek wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 08:22

this guy's favortite thing to say once he gets in the booth is "where's my snare", or "i need more snare in my headphones" mocking eminem's famous words..

Eminem was actually mocking Michael Jackson...  A few years ago there was a re-release of Thriller with some bonus material, demos and such.

The demo for (I believe) Billie Jean starts with MJ saying clearly "I need more kick in the phones...  more kick and snare in the phones".

Now we can tell MJ jokes for a while...  LOL

Best, Marcel
Best, Marcel

mattrussell

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2007, 08:50:50 PM »

didn't happen in the studio, but did happen while multitack recording...

so, i get asked to make a live recording in a VERY noisy jazz club/restaurant.  had been there a few times to watch some friends and i'd say the noise floor hovered around 95dB in the place.  really f'n loud euro-money college hang in the boston area.  no one really listend to the GREAT playing that was going on there, they just like to be seen there.

on the phone, i say to the owner (who called me to do the job), "this should be fun.  the playing is spectacular and you have a loud place.  it will be sorta cool to capture the atmosphere of it all in the recording."  he says, "yeah, exactly--that's the idea."  he hires me to record 7 nights, all three sets per night and then pick the best material to mix to be put onto a very long CD.  he's not sure he'll even release it, but has money and likes to spend it and i bet he's love to play it for his friends.  

he finally shows up to see what i'm up to recording the thing on night 6, asks to listen to some of it.  i hand him the headphones and explain "it's not mixed, these are the raw tracks from the last set."  not sure he gets that but...

i kid you not, he says (with his absolutely bizarre long island accent meets joe pesci voice) "sounds great, you just gotta filter out the crowd noise."  

incidentally, the place closed about a year later and the CD was never finished.
matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

unclebubba

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2007, 11:20:44 PM »

Client:
That doesn't look like it will sound good.

Rap Client:
Does this board have animation ?
Engineer:
Yeah, and Bugs Bunny is gonna mix your record.

CCC

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2007, 12:00:08 AM »

Producer: "watch me, I'll show you where to punch ... here it comes, wait for it ... and ... punch HERE! ... NO! WAIT PUNCH HERE INSTEAD!"

M Carter

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2007, 12:58:12 AM »

Assistant to rap hangers on: "Uh.... anybody know where *ARTIST* is?"

Rap hangers on : "I don't even give a fuck, we're just here to smoke weed and watch cable"
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

audio~geek

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2007, 01:01:37 AM »

M Carter wrote on Sun, 22 April 2007 23:58

Assistant to rap hangers on: "Uh.... anybody know where *ARTIST* is?"

Rap hangers on : "I don't even give a fuck, we're just here to smoke weed and watch cable"

Laughing  At least he's honest

RSettee

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2007, 01:10:55 AM »

This thread is hilarious!

studentcouncil

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2007, 12:06:14 PM »

"I like my bass lines monogamous"
"Can I get that warm analog digicle sound?"

mattrussell

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2007, 04:05:48 PM »

Engineer: I thought I asked you to go get me the Reddi D/I from session in studio B if they are not using it?

Intern: Oh, you didn't want me to trade the OH U67's for a U47?

Engineer:  No.  That's a mic and not one that I need right now.  What I needed was to keep my OH's where they were and also, I needed to get a D/I for the bass player.

Intern: Oh...

Engineer: Go home, now.
matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.