R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: traveling with mics  (Read 6592 times)

j.hall

Re: traveling with mics
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 03:37:18 PM »

HAHAHAHA, i should have thought of that.  i just smiled and said, "i can't talk about it"

knowing that the CIA training facility (the farm) is only miles away.

Daniel Farris

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 01:52:51 AM »

cymatics wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 17:09

Invest in a solid ATA rated case like this, but hopefully with a more robust lock...

If you check locked luggage, TSA absolutely WILL break it to get it open and inspect it. Period. No apologies or reimbursement.

Locked bags are prohibited.

DF

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 01:28:48 PM »

yeah, my pelican has a hole for a padlock.  don't even own one.......

Andy Simpson

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 11:54:35 AM »

I'm not sure about the 'States, but I've taken mics on the plane a few times. I do get a few 'is that a laser gun or a missile?' looks but I'd never ever put them in luggage that doesn't stay with me!

Andy

Schimpf

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 09:52:45 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 25 January 2008 11:28

yeah, my pelican has a hole for a padlock.  don't even own one.......

Something to keep in mind when packing a case for travel, is that if the case is inspected, you can count on them re-packing it wrong. I have been trying to make my travel containers idiot proof (still not good enough sometimes) so everything has its place. Even re-packing a carry-on can be a total pain after getting through security.

That being said, I have been having great luck shipping lots of very delicate gear (mics, computers, converters, etc.) using airline freight. I just sent 6 boxes totaling 110 lbs. for $85, and it was there in two hours. As long as the flights are direct, things seem to be handled very well.

John Schimpf

T. Mueller

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 02:07:26 PM »

Totally agree about Pelican.  They're seriously the best on the market.  I've tested them.  I have proof.

0dbfs

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »

I have done a number of trade shows involving shipping expensive and delicate audio equipment including consoles and other pieces to customers and remote sites.

I have also done several remote/travel sessions as described in this thread.

It seems that a long term workable and affordable solution is to build a couple heavy duty wooden crates to house your "remote rig" and pack them up with your gear secure inside. Ie; speakers, DAW, mics, stands, cables, snake, hp system, pre's, etc...

You can work with a shipping company for pick up and delivery as well as specifying whether a lift gate is needed on the truck or not. You can insure your shipment too although some pieces may be one-of-a-kind.

Just design your crates as muti-purpose so you can use them as a desk when you set it up onsite. Some black cloth and gaffers tape will make the end setup look very nice and you can even use some cloth covered 703 (or heavy duty packing blankets) as padding/gobo material...

The shipping costs are reasonable and good with timing the arrival so you can schedule the crates to arrive before you do, or when you arrive. They will usually provide a window of a couple hours for delivery.

If you stack your crates on a small pallet you can strap them all together and use black shrink wrap to best hide the contents. Especially if you have a cardboard box or two with obvious labeling on the outside.

Just use drywall screws to seal your crates and check your makita with your checked baggage on both ends.

You can ship everything a day or two ahead and include any last minute items in your checked baggage.

-j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.