R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AD/DA continuity  (Read 1464 times)

zakco

AD/DA continuity
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:01:51 AM »

When you have multiple AD/DA converters for processed and unprocessed signal paths, how important (if at all) is it that the converters be of the same type? Does ADDA continuity offer any advantage over mixing and matching?

I currently have a Lavry Blue DA unit that is my main monitor path from the DAW. I've just purchased an avocet and I plan to use it's DA as the unprocessed monitor path. My Lavry frame has several empty spaces and I planned on adding an A/D module to use with my existing D/A for a processed chain. This got me thinking about replacinging the Lavry with a Hedd. Both for the hedd processing and for the idea of continuity with my other monitor chain.

Am I overthinking this?

-Z-

bigaudioblowhard

Re: AD/DA continuity
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 04:08:56 AM »

I can see arguing either way on this. I think the best AB setup would be two identical DA's locked to the same clock. But unmatched units would be okay as long as the unprocessed monitor was not junk. As to how important it is? Well, how important is it to you? If it is, fine, proceed not worrying about it while you're working on processed tracks. This may be enough less of a distraction to do a better job focused on what you're actually mastering. You'll relax, and when you relax, you hear better, you're more confident about what to do, you make the best decision, relaxed and informed. Then you pull back and check where you're coming from (unprocessed) and reassure yourself that you did the right thing, maybe spot something...ah ha... back in...  are you confident that what you hear is a fair representation of the source when you press that "A" button? Its really up to you. I mean, if ya wanna get weird about it (and I do) "WHAT IS?" the source. I would like to press the "B" button and be teleported to any car, hotel room, Wave radio I can imagine. In that case, totally unmatched environments where I can hear if it sounds good in any of them. I'm rambling...

bab

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:14:45 AM »

I don't think it matters at all if the converters used are of sufficient quality, which both of the ones you are using are...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

zakco

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
I'm going to try to get a Hedd on trial to see whether the processing is something that is worth the extra $ to me, otherwise I may just stick with the Lavry and get an AD module for it.

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Sun, 25 March 2007 01:08

think the best AB setup would be two identical DA's locked to the same clock.

I'm a bit confused on that....out of the dedicated D/A units I've used, none of them had wordclock i/o (including my lavry blue). It was my understanding that wordclock sync was only a condsideration for A/D. Am I wrong about that?

-Z-
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.