R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KRK V6's Mk2 and...what else as a SECOND set of monitors?  (Read 2177 times)

zekmoe

KRK V6's Mk2 and...what else as a SECOND set of monitors?
« on: March 24, 2007, 10:46:09 PM »

If you had a set of KRK V6's, series 2 as your nearfield monitors, what would you get as a second set of monitors? I've always liked having 2 sets (home studio) to mix on. What would you get as a second set, with the goal being a good translating mix on alot of systems. Nothing too high end, or higher much than the V6's. V4's? Mackies? Something else? Prefer powered over not. What would be a good complimenting set for that goal?

Bob
Not a downstroke, fistpicker.

Tomas Danko

Re: KRK V6's Mk2 and...what else as a SECOND set of monitors?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 06:08:32 AM »

zekmoe wrote on Sun, 25 March 2007 03:46

If you had a set of KRK V6's, series 2 as your nearfield monitors, what would you get as a second set of monitors? I've always liked having 2 sets (home studio) to mix on. What would you get as a second set, with the goal being a good translating mix on alot of systems. Nothing too high end, or higher much than the V6's. V4's? Mackies? Something else? Prefer powered over not. What would be a good complimenting set for that goal?

A pair of Auratone cubes, or the new Avantones.

An alternative would be just one cube.

I'm dead serious, by the way.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

zekmoe

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »

I should have probably stipulated powered, although I do have a high power amp sitting about. Do the avantones come powered?
Would the smaller KRK V4's be too similar to the V6's? Or would something like this be a decent small amp to match:

http://www.si5.com/products.php?pID=4004

I'm dealing with consolodating my space so the self powered speakers appeal to me.
Bob
Not a downstroke, fistpicker.

iCombs

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:05:26 PM »

If I were you, I'd look into something fairly different from the KRK's.  The Auratones/Avantones are a good idea because they have a natural bandwidth limitation, and no crossover, so your focus on the midrange should be fairly clear.  Another good option would be a pair of midfields...something bigger with more low end extension that can get loud and serve as a sort of "mains" function.  Something like Dynaudio BM15A's or Tannoy's bigger stuff (I just got a pair of System 800A's for a pretty good deal as they were demos and the 800A is being discontinued)(FYI, my nearfields are Dynaudio BM6A's).  The Tannoys definitely extend down way further than the Dynaudios, but at low volumes they feel constricted...like they aren't able to handle the subtle dynamics that the Dynaudios can.  I think the Tannoys are damped more heavily so they can handle high-volume transients without sending the concentric tweeter guide flying across the room. Smile

There are two ways to go...a good question to ask yourself at this point is what seems to be a consistent problem with your mixes?  Do you have issues with midrange clashing?  Perhaps the Auratones would be a good choice.  Do you have issues with inconsistent bottom end?  Then a midfield would probably be a good idea.

Hopefully that gives you an idea as to what directions to look.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.