R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ceiling height  (Read 1958 times)

jetbase

Ceiling height
« on: March 21, 2007, 06:35:11 PM »

Is there an minimum required ceiling height for a control room? I notice that I don't like rooms with lower ceilings in general. I'm guessing that there are many rooms built that are restricted in how high they can go, regardless of what the other dimensions could be, so is there a point at which you would say "this isn't going to work", or at least "this is going to be a big compromise"?
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

franman

Re: Ceiling height
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »

Glenn,

I've had to build functional control rooms in spaces lower than 8'-0"... it's NOT fun! The problem is that at some point, it becomes impractical to properly treat the ceiling to control early first reflections or to install task lighting over the work area.. these are the two major issues.

Of course, rooms lower than 7'-8" or so (finished) start to feel a little squeezed (a lot??).. just not comfortable.

For recording rooms, it's worse, as the mic picks up this very close boundary for anybody performing standing up.. forget about drum overheads!! Ahhhhh.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

jetbase

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:22:42 PM »

I would have thought that even 8' is bit low. What kind of height makes you happy, in terms of being workable for appropriate absorption, lighting & anything else relevent?
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry

franman

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 10:51:31 PM »

I'd like to have 10' inside the isolation shell, which us1ually means 12-13' clear below the lowest obstruction BEFORE we start the shell construction...

Hey, more is better.. With height typically being the limiting factor in modal calculations, the more we have, the more options we can explore. 10' + in a finished control rooms shell (9' finishes in middle of the room) works well.

I have recently done control rooms with 14' high Isolation shells!! Man, we had over 4' deep bass trapping in the rear ceiling soffits. Let me tell you, the bass sounds tight in those rooms!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

jetbase

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »

Cool, thanks for the info Francis.
sleep is not an option

Glenn Santry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.