R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: self calibrating monitors... JBl LSR 4300  (Read 3763 times)

brett

self calibrating monitors... JBl LSR 4300
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:57:38 PM »

Did a search and only found one old thread from back in 2004 with no real info on the JBL 4300. I am needing to eq my monitors to compensate for what seems like a -3db dip under 65hz. could it be the room or is just characteristic of a 6 1/2 bass driver.

Started in a 10'x10' room and I moved to a larger 14'Hx17L x 15W room. the neighbors share that wall and it just happened to be their bedroom. I also didn't have good results there as the room required more power and I turned it up loud to get any feel. Knocked a frame off the wall next door and I didn't even think it was that loud. Room was aprox 5000cf with offsets.

So I moved to up in the loft now. 8'Hx10Wx13L. with just a bump of +3db shelf eq at 64hz down the bottom is usable on my 6 1/2 speakers. But I am using the eq in Itunes to figure this out. I have no quality outboard eq to make adjustment and the low cut and boost knobs on the monitors aren't helping.

The monitors are fairly close to the wall to try and get as much bottom as i can and I am tucked in pretty close.

I see monitors like the jbl4326 or 4328 and wonder if they would work. I was wondering if I would be better off getting the 4326 and a sub over the 4328's. Or maybe just buying an outboard eq to adjust the monitors I have now manually. My DS90's just have no real detail. they don't sound articulate unless you start to push them harder and that just doesn't work in my environment.

I have treated the front wall with 8" thick 705 in the corners and bottom of the front wall. Need to treat the top of the front wall. The sides have some 4" 2'x4' panels around the bottoms but I haven't mounted panels up at the celing/wall joints yet. I plan to do this soon. I am sure it will help a little. Since this is a loft. there is an opening that raps around the middle of two walls open to the large 14ft high living room and kitchen. Seems to let the bass breath a little better than the 10x10 room below did.

One question, could it be my roland monitors need a +3 bump at 65 because they just don't make enough energy down there and are just roling off? Would just adding a sub do the trick?

My work around at the moment is to drop the mastr fader in the DAW, and insert and eq on the bus with a bump on the lower shelf from 65hz down. Then when I bounce, I turn off the eq and bring the fadar back up. I would rather have a monitor setup where I can here down to 50hz accurately. I am thinking it is a combination of the room and the need for a sub.

I do rock music, butI also do house and even more breakbeat/bigbeat stuff with very large kicks and unison bass lines. Pretty heavy mixes with a lot of tracks. I think I am answering my own question that of course I need a sub and a lot of detail in my monitors. But do self calibrating speakers the like the JBLs really help in the not so perfect room like mine?

Ethan Winer

Re: self calibrating monitors... JBl LSR 4300
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »

Brett,

> I am needing to eq my monitors to compensate for what seems like a -3db dip under 65hz. could it be the room or is just characteristic of a 6 1/2 bass driver. <

Room EQ doesn't work. Want proof? See this:

http://www.realtraps.com/art_audyssey.htm

> I have treated the front wall with 8" thick 705 in the corners and bottom of the front wall. Need to treat the top of the front wall. The sides have some 4" 2'x4' panels around the bottoms but I haven't mounted panels up at the celing/wall joints yet. I plan to do this soon. <

Yes, that is the right way to approach this.

> One question, could it be my roland monitors need a +3 bump at 65 because they just don't make enough energy down there and are just roling off? <

Maybe.

--Ethan

franman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 07:59:04 PM »

I am sure that you're 6 1/2" woofer is rolling off significanlty below 50Hz.. If you happen to be in a Speaker BOundary Interference location that is active at 65Hz, this will kill everything below there most likely...

1. Try moving your monitors around and see if the LF comes up.

2. Try moving them some more

3. DO NOT try eq'ing little woofers at 65Hz.. You'll just totally trash the respone up to 1K or wherever the crossover is... they will be over excurding in a hurry!!

oh yeah, did I mention to try moving the speakers around (and the listening position as well)>?
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

brett

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:30:46 PM »

franman wrote on Fri, 30 March 2007 00:59

If you happen to be in a Speaker BOundary Interference location that is active at 65Hz, this will kill everything below there most likely...
)>?

what is this you Speaker boundary interference?

I added some serious trapping in my room and hear and feel the low end now.

Ethan Winer

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 03:06:33 PM »

brett wrote on Thu, 10 May 2007 13:30

SBIR is also called comb filtering. It's caused when sound from the speakers - which radiates omnidirectionally at low frequencies - hits the walls and reflects back into the same waves. This creates a series of peaks and deep nulls. Your bass traps will help that.

--Ethan

brett

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 02:46:31 AM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Thu, 10 May 2007 20:06

brett wrote on Thu, 10 May 2007 13:30

SBIR is also called comb filtering. It's caused when sound from the speakers - which radiates omnidirectionally at low frequencies - hits the walls and reflects back into the same waves. This creates a series of peaks and deep nulls. Your bass traps will help that.

--Ethan

Yes, there were nulls to deal with.

franman

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 10:20:19 PM »

so the trapping helped... glad to hear that..

did you try to move things around?? just curious....
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.