R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holy Crap! Goodbye Win MCE - Hello Linux MCE!  (Read 2703 times)

blueboy

Holy Crap! Goodbye Win MCE - Hello Linux MCE!
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:26:09 PM »

It looks like one of the last Windows machines in my house is about to be retired! Windows MCE was one of the only Microsoft products that I actually liked...but if Linux MCE works as advertised, this will blow it away.

Check out the demo video:

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3683/completely_mind-blowi ng_linuxmce

It even includes home automation options!

How the heck does this stuff just show up totally out of the blue...and include every feature you could want...FOR FREE??

God I love Linux!

JL

"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

Vladislavs Korehovs

Re: Holy Crap! Goodbye Win MCE - Hello Linux MCE!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 12:11:30 AM »

if you are skilled i think you can try using linux...
Otherwise Linux is a crap, i'm currently have Linux as Workstation and i miss Windows Quality.. all open source apps are Crap those are not stable amd sometimes  don't have even basic needed functions:)

I think if you want using Linux MCE then you will need manually configure something (hopefully no need to compile:)), something will not work as expected, etc. and in the end it will appear only 50% is working:)

blueboy

Re: Holy Crap! Goodbye Win MCE - Hello Linux MCE!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:48:19 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Mon, 26 March 2007 21:11

if you are skilled i think you can try using linux...

While I agree the using Linux requires a little more computer knowledge than Windows or Mac at this point, the latest desktop distributions are getting very user friendly.

As far as the stability of open source apps...obviously the quality can vary, but seeing as the majority of the world's servers are running open source apps, it really depends on the developers.

Windows XP Pro has been very stable for me, but Windows MCE does have some problems occasionally. All my Linux computers are very reliable though, and as most of the components of Linux MCE seem to be mature, I don't think stability will be an issue.

For reliable "appliance" type functionality, I would definitely rather use Linux than Windows.

"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.