R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drums in a small room..  (Read 6832 times)

vegas4ever

Drums in a small room..
« on: February 07, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »

Ok so the room is about 12/12/8 walls:sheetrock,  floor is wood, any adviced with a room that small??

-before I get wise comments, Changing to another room is not a option!! I have to do it there!

What do I need to watch out for?

I will be recording rock-blues-jazz Any particular set up for smaller room work the best??

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent

Steve Hudson

Re: Drums in a small room..
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:12:09 PM »

Put some 2" 703 (or similar product) on the ceiling to keep reflections from the ceiling from messing with your OHs. It's like extending the ceiling acoustically. Also try micing the kit from the front instead of using OHs. Add bass traps (4" 703) in as many corners as possible to tighten up the low end.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

d gauss

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:48:20 PM »

12x12x8 is small?  i wish i had that!

my drum room in a ny city brownstone basement is 5.5 ft tall! x 6ft x 7ft.  i can't stand up in it, but i've done 5 blues albums there. (one artist is up for a handy award this year)

for me, i use small drums, and as few mics as possible. glyn johns style works with low ceilings, or a single mono OH, then i just deal with it Smile

vegas4ever

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 07:42:17 AM »

Thanks guys!
"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent

rankus

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 02:04:23 PM »

Carpeting the floor will help ... a small room needs to be little deader than large rooms... I find leaving the door open helps as well... Sometimes we stick a mic down the hall for that "big room sound"
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

floodstage

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 02:24:32 PM »

d gauss wrote on Wed, 07 February 2007 16:48

my drum room in a ny city brownstone basement is 5.5 ft tall! x 6ft x 7ft.  i can't stand up in it, but i've done 5 blues albums there. (one artist is up for a handy award this year)

for me, i use small drums, and as few mics as possible. glyn johns style works with low ceilings, or a single mono OH, then i just deal with it Smile

Holy sh** that is one small room!
Bet it gets hot in there.

James Duncan

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 06:50:32 AM »

The "squareness" of the room could prove to be problematic as well (12x12). That type of symmetry is not usually optimal.

I would echo the comments from above, but also add that you should see if you can get some of those office dividers to reduce one of the dimensions by a foot or two. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to *reduce* the size of the room, but a square room will develop standing waves like nobody's business.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

d gauss

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 09:27:30 AM »

floodstage wrote on Thu, 08 February 2007 14:24

d gauss wrote on Wed, 07 February 2007 16:48

Holy sh** that is one small room!
Bet it gets hot in there.

well... its  DOES have AC at least. Smile

hrasco

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 08:05:19 PM »

James Duncan wrote on Fri, 09 February 2007 03:50

The "squareness" of the room could prove to be problematic as well (12x12). That type of symmetry is not usually optimal.

I would echo the comments from above, but also add that you should see if you can get some of those office dividers to reduce one of the dimensions by a foot or two. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to *reduce* the size of the room, but a square room will develop standing waves like nobody's business.

Great suggestion.

Put those office dividers at a slight angle to the wall to further reduce the "squareness" of the room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/tarmadilo/TeamInterstate2.gif " border=0 alt=" http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/tarmadilo/TeamInterstate2.gif ">

Synth Tuba Tech

Asagaai

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 08:28:43 AM »

[quote title=d gauss wrote on Wed, 07 February 2007 21:48]12x12x8 is small?  i wish i had that!

Did you take the lease on that in between floor used on the set of "being John Malkovich"!

Love your thread-cool to see how people innovate and make silk purses from sows ears.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

danickstr

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 02:22:45 PM »

That "being John M" room must have been someone's dream.  That is dream logic made into a film.

I would think you would benefit from getting the reflections to not flutter, by adding just about anything to the walls that make them not parallel.

There are a ton of solutions that you can make, and the acoustics forum would have more suggestions I am sure.

Masonite  3-d triangles could be made very cheaply and would at least bounce the stuff in different ways.

edit: and you could stuff them with batting...not bats, batting.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Calfee Jones

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 04:27:44 PM »

Maybe instead of carpeting the floor just use a thin rug under the drums. And make sure you treat the ceiling to make it dead. You will get reflections from the floor, but here's the idea - Whether you are in a room with high ceilings or a room with low ceilings you are the same distance from the floor. Both rooms will reflect the same way off the floor. So if you kill the ceiling you take away that difference between a high ceiling and a low ceiling. And the floor can still give you some good room sound.
 - Calfee

John Ivan

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 01:41:32 PM »

I had a small drum room a long time ago .. It was all Concrete walls and floor. I ended up using 4" of Acoustic foam over the kit, not the whole ceiling , {it's what I had at the time. 703 is much better}, and I set office dividers in 2 of the corners, from bottom to top with pink wall insulation behind them.I left the other wall's and corners bare. I loved that room. It was very live but the nasty slap/flutter was killed off. The only rug was a small one for the kit so it wouldn't slide. .. Small room's can be nice.. I would also play things back through a PA speaker in there and mic the room for a reverb sound.

Ivan.............................

EDT: It's worth pointing out that before I treated the room, I used it for some drum sounds and they were, interesting?. They didn't suck. It's just that I was forced into a "Reverb" sound that didn't work for everything. After treatment {of the room I mean Confused } I could get a deader sound...ie. the room was more versatile..
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.