R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Symetrix 488... of any musical use?  (Read 2610 times)

zekmoe

Symetrix 488... of any musical use?
« on: March 14, 2007, 08:11:27 PM »

I've been looking at some of the unused rack gear I have, and deciding whether to unload it or keep it. The main criteria being will I be able to use it, as I don't think the stuff will fetch much, but I'll keep it if it has a niche use.
Anyway, the first of these I found is a Symetrix 488. It's an 8 channel compressor that was designed to go between an analog board and an adat. It has one set of controls (gain and reduction I think) that affects ALL of the 8 channels. That's it really. Has anyone used one, as a mix down compressor, even for a very mild correction? If so, will it sound musical or even functional? I'm wondering if it accidentally had some decentness in it. My home studio is currently apart, and as I rewire it, I'm thinking to leave a place for the occasional use wierd item. Anyone who's heard or used it...does it have a musical use or should I launch via the 'Bay? Does it do much anymore? I'm not looking for a cash value or anything, just if you think it has a purpose, or is useless. I can devote the one rack space even if I only use it for one of the 8 channels.
Thanks for any opinions on this.
Bob
Not a downstroke, fistpicker.

Chad Sims

Re: Symetrix 488... of any musical use?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:02:16 PM »

I have a couple of Symetrix 501's that I like but I don't think they have anything to do with the piece that you are talking about.  Unless you are really in need of cash why not keep it?  If it is only one rack space it isn't taking up much real estate and who knows you might find one thing that it does really well.  You know just as some kind of special effect.  Plus I don't think your gonna get much, symetrix is not the most in demand brand for resale.

Just try and use it for awhile if you don't ever use it get rid of it.

CHANCE

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:04:21 PM »

You will no doubt find a use for it AFTER you sell it.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Phuckwit

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:12:25 PM »

I would keep it I have a few bits of that manufacturer that I won on ebay at ultra low prices and was very surprised at how good they sounded when I got them hooked up.
They are the SX 204 pre amps I haven't heard the compressor's though. But they might go well infront of an eight channels of AD to keep it from getting clipped.
If the pre's are anything to go by they are very low noise and very transparent.
Even running alongside very well known makes they are quite surprising.
And I am an Audio Snob!
Regards.?:*??*:?. ??.??¯`?.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
http://www.springvalestudios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.