R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastering Madness  (Read 1690 times)

telefunky

Mastering Madness
« on: March 08, 2007, 11:48:25 PM »

Hi: I'm coming to the end of the recording stage of my latest record.  Completely home recorded.  I want to know what fellow bedroom Beethovens are doing these days about mastering.  My last record I had mastered at a very nice, well known, "pro" place.  All the best gear.  Huge awesome everything.  It cost me close to a grand and I have 498 of the 500 I pressed still in the garage (thanks Mom and Dad).  I'm not saying the mastering wasn't good, it was, it was just more than I needed.  I know one answer is "master it yourself", but I'm kind of way past the objectivity stage ya know? My budget this time is like $250. So what do you guys think?  

j.hall

Re: Mastering Madness
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:46:47 PM »

i haven't a clue.

hit brad's mastering forum and see who's around.

mastering isn't somoething i mess with.  i just tell the bands the three guys i really like and hope they'll actually hire one of them.

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:36:32 PM »

j.hall wrote on Sun, 11 March 2007 22:46

mastering isn't somoething i mess with.  i just tell the bands the three guys i really like and hope they'll actually hire one of them.

Yeah and i always qualify from my experience who i think has a knack for their sort of material.

I'm involved in the process via helping with the selection and hearing the refs (maybe commenting) but once it leaves these doors it's the way i want it plus another room and ear. In my world if the ME can't get it I haven't done my job mixwise or in the direction I've given. Oh, and if the masters come back and the ME has screwed them up just to have a hand in the "mixing" they don't get used again.

Dave, Dave and Brad are my usual suspects and there's one guy who will never touch my mixes again.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »

Fibes wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 22:36

Dave, Dave and Brad are my usual suspects and there's one guy who will never touch my mixes again.

my list is the same.
(in no order)
Dave Collins
Brad Blackwood
Dave McNair

i have a growing list of guys i won't recommend.  i have little control over who actually gets hired......but i can state my opinions strongly

i highly recommend spending some time on the mastering forum.  it's good to get a better understanding of what ME's are concerned about and a bit of insight into what they listen for.

pg666

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »

i used Carl Saff for a small-budget project once and he did a good job. he was all plug-in based at the time.. and while it wasn't quite as good as a $200/hr job, it was surprisingly close (and i've had some pretty shitty mastering projects).

he posts on Brad's forum too!

www.saffmastering.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.