R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Readers Abandoning Pitchfork And Gearslutz?  (Read 14335 times)

fossiltooth

• Real Full Name: Justin Colletti
Are Readers Abandoning Pitchfork And Gearslutz?
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »

The short answer: "Kinda looks like it, doesn't it? Hey wow, look at that graph."

The long answer: A few thousand words of investigative journalism. (Don't worry, there are pictures, too.)

Are Pitchfork and Gearslutz Losing Readers?

bigbone

Re: Are Readers Abandoning Pitchfork And Gearslutz?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »

You can't reinvent the wheel i guess, some of the topic has been beaten
to death.Even here it's quiet...........

bigbone

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »

Jim Williams

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »

What is Pitchfork? I have one out in my yard.

Yes, it's been a bit quiet here since the big breakoff earlier in the year. How are the ship jumpers doing over at their new little site?

I went there and posted a couple of things and got berated by the "moderators" for having a different "point of view".

I didn't feel the love so I havn't been back.

Meanwhile, seems Gearslutz has more posts in one day than this site has in a month. If it's just a numbers game, they are way out in front.

DigitMus

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »

It seems like Gearslutz has become the WalMart of recording/audio forums...

fossiltooth

• Real Full Name: Justin Colletti
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »

I think the traffic here on PSW went down significantly because of the migration. There are so many legacy links that point to the old forum, and when would-be users wind up over there, they try to login or register, get frustrated, and never find their way over here. It's kind of an SEO nightmare - but I can think of a few ways to help fix it.

That said, I think activity has gone down not just on GS, but on forums in general. Maybe they've grown to a size where they out-scale their usefulness, and it's due time for a little shrinkage?

I can tell you this much: I've gotten a lot of direct email about this story. Almost more than I can keep up with. One of my sources for next month's "Readers Respond" section is a former moderator from a similarly massive forum. He preferred not to be named, but he did have this to say:

...(maybe) users realize that once you figure out where to aim the microphones and how to use a compressor, there really isn't that much to talk about, at least on a daily basis.

Amen to that. I think forums are best when they're used as what they were intended to be: An accessory to traditional press outlets, and a place where the underrepresented and the basement tinkerers can gain some traction or find some uncommon and esoteric info.

When we ask forums to act as a substitute for authoritative information, maybe we do them, and ourselves, a pretty big disservice? I don't know - What do you think?

bigbone

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »

Yes, it's been a bit quiet here since the big breakoff earlier in the year. How are the ship jumpers doing over at their new little site?

I went there and posted a couple of things and got berated by the "moderators" for having a different "point of view".

I didn't feel the love so I havn't been back.

Agree , same for me.

kats

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »

Another thing to consider fellas is that these forums have been operating for quite some time and there is a search function. I think most of the gold has already been written.

I also believe that the "home recordist" is a much more educated reader these days. I see more and more posts about recording and mix techniques and less of "this gear versus that". The problem being that techniques are very difficult to teach over the internet. It's just one of those things where you have to be there and you have to practice, and I think the "home recordist" is beginning to get that.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

rocksure

• Real Full Name: Tony Koretz
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »

I won't be abandoning Gearslutz any time soon. Even though it is filled with done-to-death topics and and a lot of mis-information written by kids in a bedroom, there is still some good stuff that appears on there from time to time, and a database of good knowledge shared over the years. I sign in periodically still, and even post if I think it is worth it.
Royalty-free Music and Sound Effects
http://rocksuresoundz.com

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »

Its kind of interesting to watch... the misinformation there is absolutely staggering!!  What is more interesting to me is that this misinformation, is continually regurgitated to the point where it becomes "common GS knowledge"... and the moderation staff - either from lack of pay, lack of caring, or perhaps their own serious lack of knowledge permit this bullshit to propagate further. 

I reckon its a sign of the times and a bit of a journalistic trend that has become OK [as its a regular practice at "News Corp"].

...and so it goes.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

rocksure

• Real Full Name: Tony Koretz
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 02:48:43 AM »

Its kind of interesting to watch... the misinformation there is absolutely staggering!!  What is more interesting to me is that this misinformation, is continually regurgitated to the point where it becomes "common GS knowledge"... and the moderation staff - either from lack of pay, lack of caring, or perhaps their own serious lack of knowledge permit this bullshit to propagate further. 

I reckon its a sign of the times and a bit of a journalistic trend that has become OK [as its a regular practice at "News Corp"].

...and so it goes.

Peace

So that's why old hands like you are you still needed over there to clear up the garbage from time to time Fletcher. Not that I have always agreed with you on everything, but at least I respect your opinion, and have to think pretty hard before I ever decide to disagree with you on something because your overall knowledge far exceeds mine!
Royalty-free Music and Sound Effects
http://rocksuresoundz.com

Fletcher

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »

That's why we have this joint... it makes the "bullshit filtering" a little less time consuming [as there is little to know bullshit myth propagation from newbie's here].

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

John Roberts {JR}

• Real Full Name: John Roberts
  • 10,000+
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »

...and so it goes.

Peace

I am not a mod there but I spend too much of my time trying to stamp out BS on at least the geekslutz sub forum. But yes the audiophoolery is persistent. I suspect it is the human condition to gravitate towards mythology to fill the void left by ignorance, when actual knowledge is too much work to attain. 
---
While the perception that news corp is similarly flawed may just reveal personal politics. I find all of the general news outlets similarly flawed, just with different biases based on appealing to their perceived audiences. But lets not stray into politics here, this is just business for the news organizations trying to sell ads, and I suspect for the sundry web fora too.

JR
Circular Science     http://RESOTUNE.COM

"tune it or don't play it..."

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »

I suspect it is the human condition to gravitate towards mythology to fill the void left by ignorance, when actual knowledge is too much work to attain.

Uh-oh... we're on the boarder of discussing "organized religion"... danger Wil Robinson - danger - danger!!
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

John Roberts {JR}

• Real Full Name: John Roberts
  • 10,000+
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »

Who me?  Never.....  ::) 

Dat ist verboten.

JR
Circular Science     http://RESOTUNE.COM

"tune it or don't play it..."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 24 queries.