R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: going from PT7.4 (tiger) to PT10(lion)  (Read 11384 times)

j.hall

going from PT7.4 (tiger) to PT10(lion)
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »

this ought to be interesting for me.  a pretty massive update.

ditching an old PPC G5, an intel 8 core arrives in a few days. 

any advice on the OS change over from Tiger to Lion?  seems like a giant leap that i'm nervous about.

clearly migrating my data will yield some things (like PT itself) to not function.  so i won't boot PT until i've fully updated to 10

but just the change over in computers is making me nervous.

Ryan G

• Real Full Name: Ryan Griffin
Re: going from PT7.4 (tiger) to PT10(lion)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »

If haven't already started, I'd stay away from the OS migrate feature. It works great for people that upload photos and use Facebook but often there are issues with "Pro" apps and plugins.  It takes more time, but a fresh install of every app and plugin, then move over the actual file data tends to work better.  Just my .02, hope it all goes well.  Did you go native?  Just curious.

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »

yes, i'll be going native.

Gregory Thompson

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:16:42 AM »

Curious to hear how it goes for you, how you feel your plugin count compares, how responsive the machine performs, and where the pitfalls lie in that kind of cross machine upgrade.

I am currently rocking the last of the PPC G5 with an HD3 system running 8.0.1 on 10.5.8

Don't really have the bread to upgrade yet, but I assume I will go to a Native (non card based) Protools 10 setup. 

-Greg
-Engineering for a living since 1994
-Currently freelancing for ABC Television (and that can change at a moment's notice)

Grant Craig

• Real Full Name: Grant Craig
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »

Curious to hear how it goes for you, how you feel your plugin count compares, how responsive the machine performs, and where the pitfalls lie in that kind of cross machine upgrade.

I am currently rocking the last of the PPC G5 with an HD3 system running 8.0.1 on 10.5.8

Don't really have the bread to upgrade yet, but I assume I will go to a Native (non card based) Protools 10 setup. 

-Greg

Greg
I had a similar system (HD2 on Dual G5), and I went native with PT9HD.  My system is far more stable than it ever was with PT8, and it's far more responsive with CPU intensive processes (BD, EA, etc.)  I went to a Quad-core Intel Xeon 2.66GHZ w/ firewire Aurora.  My plugin count about doubled too, which was surprising.

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »

i have an 8core 3.2ghz machine, running Lion.  still waiting for my HD Native to arrive.

my machine is fully "migrated" and ready for the install.

not too worried about plug-ins. 

raneeya

• Real Full Name: dsfsdfd
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 02:09:18 AM »

some of my old threads were supposed to get migrated over.  i have very few things i think are of major importance.  i'll move over the IMP rules.  is there anything else anyone thinks we need to have around here?
We offer up to date   test-king.com   exam practice questions with self paced test engine to help you pass   ielts exam   exam and complete your ccent course   artinstitutesmiami   you should also find.   Conway School of Landscape Design
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 23 queries.