R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mobile phone clicks  (Read 2655 times)

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
mobile phone clicks
« on: October 02, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »

Anyone ever had an joy with gsm click removal - I had struggled with the latest file - Sonnox noise was ok and the izotope rx 2 advanced click removal got rid of them but they completely covered vocal frequency range so I was unable to actually extract voice from the file - even trying selecting certain frequency ranges in spectrum mode - any tips or tricks.. this one was a darn hard one - low level crappy vocal, very loud level mobile phone clicks
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

Allen Corneau

• Real Full Name: Allen Corneau
Re: mobile phone clicks
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »

Did you use the automated function? I'm guessing doing each click by hand, while cumbersome, will yield the best results.

Without actually hearing what you're working on it's just an assumption.
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering
http://allencorneau.com/

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »

RX2 spectral repair is probably your best bet, most likely in attenuate mode (although experiment with the other modes too).  Use the time/frequency select tool (or lasso or magic wand) to select the unwanted phone clicks and the "play frequency selection" transport button to make sure your selection is what you want.  Mess with direction, before/after weighting and strength and do lots of comparing to achieve the best results. 

Hard to say for sure without hearing the actual audio but my gut tells me that would be a good starting point for this type of unwanted noise.  I'm still blown away at what can be done in spectral repair mode sometimes. 

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:02:30 PM »

thanks for the tip
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »

If you have a Windows DAW - I've gotten tons of mileage from the very inexpensive Acon Digital Declicker/Decrackler that's part of their "Studio Clean" VST/DX plugin suite -

http://www.acondigital.com/us_StudioClean.html

I always use this just to process effected areas, and then render its processing first and insert this as a replacing region in the track, as I find it sometimes can give different results during different playbacks.
Sometimes for really bad clicks it takes a couple run throughs for best results.   But if these things are taken into account I'd say it can very easily compete with the results achieved with much more expensive systems - and I've used it to remove all kinds of clicks, pops, crackles, and even distortions.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »

+1 for the RX2 spectral repair.

its done unthinkable wonders in the studio for me :-)  as suggested earlier, try the attenuate mode, but also try the replace mode for the most egregious of clicks.

- nick

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.