R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: For those who appreciate a FAST car  (Read 25425 times)

ssltech

Re: For those who appreciate a FAST car
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/images/avatars/47013505745aa9a610e410.gif
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

ssltech

« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2009, 11:09:10 AM »

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...

This is beyond deceptive, it is outright FRAUDULENT.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090811/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gm_volt_m ileage

They're claiming 230MPG for the new Volt.

...and that's IF they get the bloody thing working reliably... but -assuming that they do- consider this:

GM Saying that the Volt gets 230 miles from a gallon of gasoline is like me saying that my Porsche gets 1,000 miles from a gallon of washer fluid.

But of course, people will protest that my Porsche doesn't use washer fluid as the fundamental origin of its motive propulsion... to which I say 'Precisely!'

The VOLT doesn't use gasoline as the fundamental origin of is motive propulsion either.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. It's beyond specious; -it's disingenuous, it's misleading, it's deceptive, it's deceitful, it's underhanded, it's imposturous.

It's WRONG.

And someone ought to tell GM that people out there are going to be mighty pissed off when they buy something which doesn't do what they were misled to believe.

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

bblackwood

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »

New Volt owner says "why is my electrical bill 9x what it was last month?"
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Barry Hufker

« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2009, 01:53:46 PM »

Keith,

You don't have to worry about Volt owners being upset.  It has been announced the car will not reach its shipping date and has been pushed back with the statement (to the effect) it may well be outdated by the time it is ready to ship.

Barry

ssltech

« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »

As much as anything, I'm dismayed... (wait, that doesn't even begin to describe my apoplexy... no, -better make that 'outraged') that Fritz Henderson is continuing the bullshit rhetoric of his predecessor.

See, -the thing is that I actually liked Rick Wagoner on a personal level. -My only face-to-face (my wife and I actually shared breakfast with him almost exactly a decade ago) was shortly BEFORE he became the chairman of GM... I think he was the CEO at the time. -He was talking all sorts of sense and making all kinds of nice noises about how the Europeans were making cars to be proud of, and the world was a shifting market, etc. -the NEXT thing, he's chairman, and nothing is changing. -Gone is the 'lets improve the breed' approach, and in its place is a "the US makes the best cars in the WORLD, -you don't change a winning formula!" declaration.

Then a couple of years ago, I remember hearing him on the radio pulling the sheets off the Volt and announcing that this plug-in-hybrid was going to get 'more than a hundred miles to the gallon'.

-It was at THAT precise moment that he lost ALL of my respect.

-And if Fritz can allow himself to preside over an organization which continues to make the same disingenuous, deceptive, misrepresentative, FRAUDULENT claims, I cannot respect him either.

It's bullshit.

...And I had hopes that this country might be able to turn things around. -Looks like he's going to get his ass kicked by the Koreans, who are making 'cost-minimized-functional-transportation-devices' which are more cost-effective and more reliable with a better warranty.

Watch out, Fritz... -That's how you get your ass kicked. -It happened to Rover, and it'll happen to you.

Keith

KB_S1

« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »

Whilst GM get all smoke and mirrors over leccy car tech, Toyota MAY have just silently pulled off a genius stroke that will see them succeed from an alternative model.

They have registered the IPR for a process that will add odour to hydrogen gas.
This makes it safer to deliver and store the product (much like domestic gas). This coincides with a commitment from the Japanese Government to roll out the infrastructure necessary for hydrogen fuel cars to become as easy to use as oil fuel cars are now.

If it becomes the main fuel source for future cars then no matter what marque of car you drive, Toyota will make money from it.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

compasspnt

« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »

The LIES about the Volt are the downside...sure.

Well, that and the higher electricity bills.

But remember the huge upsides:

*The car costs only $40,000.

*The car is a Chevrolet.

What could be better?

How about a new MPD figure (Miles Per Dollar)?

Barry Hufker

« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2009, 11:31:15 PM »

And $40k is only slightly higher than the original estimated selling price of $25k.  So it's really a bargain all the way around.

Barry

KB_S1

« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2009, 05:43:33 AM »

For the equivalent of $40k I could buy a brand new Lotus Elise here.
The comparison would never even occur to me.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

bblackwood

« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 16:29

But remember the huge upsides:

*The car costs only $40,000.

*The car is a Chevrolet.

What could be better?

Hahahaha, well said.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ssltech

« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2009, 12:04:21 AM »

...It's also built by GM employees who haven't done too well with the fit-&-finish on the Camaro... (when I get time, I'll post a list with the sheer number of issues which owners are reporting) though the direct-injection motor is a definite step forward for Detroit.

I appreciate that people are marveling at the optimistically-claimed fuel efficiency of the new Camaro motor for a 300HP mill, but at such a high compression ratio, there's NO tune-ability in that motor, which the old Detroit-Iron motorheads probably haven't realized just yet...

Keith

ssltech

« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2009, 12:05:25 AM »

C'mon now...

-Just one more post!!!

Barry Hufker

« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2009, 12:17:53 AM »

index.php/fa/13154/0/

There.  I've gotten us off that page.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.