R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The old 32bit float question  (Read 4721 times)

Elf

• Real Full Name: Elfed Dowler-Jones
The old 32bit float question
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »

Hi folks!  :)

I came across PSW via searching for some answers.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/5115/0/64/0/

I've just got my first Samplitude Pro, and I'm an arty type, rather than a technician type. My understanding has increased slowly, through the GS, SOS, Reaper and Sonar forums, and of course, from setting out to record my own songs - I got a DAV BG 1U on GS/SOS advice and; more recently, Mastering Audio by Bob Katz to set me on my way. I've also spent time with Cubase SX 3.2, Reaper 3.75 and Sonar X1 Essential recording my songs.

I'm also now a member of the Samplitude/Sequoia support forum.

2 years or more from when I set out, I'm trying to get my head around the relevance of 32bit FP in a 24bit system - amongst a constantly shifting array of other things. By what I've read so far, it appears that it is to accommodate word lengths of plugins which has an overall effect on audio quality. I can also see that it's a very high-brow subject that I might not grasp too quickly.

That's my first quest as a new member of the forum - Do I need to make choices; as I can do in Samplitude, to use 32bit at any point in the recording process. Or, do I simply carry on recording straight 24bit/48k and dithering down to CD and other formats.

I look forward to any replies.

Thanks
QX6700 quad 3.2GHz
4G DDR II
Audiophile 192
8800GT
Win 7 32bit
Samplitude 11 Pro - 11.2.1

Fletcher

Re: The old 32bit float question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:03 AM »

From my somewhat limited understanding... 32 bit floating is an efficient way to get the best resolution from the audio.  I could be wrong... but I don't believe I am [then again... who does?]
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Graham Duncan

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »

You are fine recording 24bit.  Samplitude's engine is 32bit float.  Dither when exporting to 24bit, 16bit or mp3, etc.  For the most part Samplitude handles this automatically.

Graham

Elf

• Real Full Name: Elfed Dowler-Jones
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 02:04:28 PM »

Ok, thanks, it looks like I don't need to concern myself for the time being.

Perhaps it might be interesting over time to see if there are any specific instances where a choice of 32bit Float is might be worth considering.

:)
QX6700 quad 3.2GHz
4G DDR II
Audiophile 192
8800GT
Win 7 32bit
Samplitude 11 Pro - 11.2.1

Tim Halligan

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »

It may be worth noting that I have seen at least one mastering website which specifically says that they will NOT accept 32bit float files.

And of course...now that I've mentioned it, I can't remember which one...

Typical.  :o

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »

I'll second that, because D/A converters that feed the mastering chain are limited to 24 bits (AES/EBU limit).  For a mastering engineer who is all analog, like me, a properly dithered 24 bit mix is preferred.

Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

jamesp

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:41:59 AM »

It may be worth noting that I have seen at least one mastering website which specifically says that they will NOT accept 32bit float files.

Possibly because they're using Protools which doesn't accept 32 bit files (although this may have changed for the latest version).

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music
http://www.jrpmusic.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 24 queries.