R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QuietRock and heavy wood layer  (Read 2728 times)

Brent Handy

QuietRock and heavy wood layer
« on: March 09, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »

I have a friend building a studio with QuietRock.  Any of you guys used that stuff?  Does anyone know if it would be advisable to attach wood planks to the QR?  He wants it to look warm and rustic.  Are there any acoustical or structural issues with fasteners and a heavy wood layer on QR?

franman

Re: QuietRock and heavy wood layer
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »

hmmm, I have very mixed feelings about this Quiet Rock stuff. I've read the lit and looked at the sample. It seems to be a "good" product (hey, it's THX approved, so   Very Happy ), but it's just so damn expensive, that I cannot justify it on our projects as being an advantage over several traditional layers... it's not uncommon for us to use a three layer sandwich with two layers of 5/8" Gyp Bd and some type of wood layer varying from 1/2 plywood to 3/4" MDF (much heavier) in the middle. There is a differential material advantage and the 'whole' is always more than the sum of it's parts in this type of assembly.

If you absolutely cannot do more than one layer (for some reason??) than the middle sized QR seems like an 'upgrade' but at a cost!!

Attaching a wood finish to it?? Why not... glue and screw as always. Some of the different models have lead lagging in the middle, or some other type of material? (can't remember now).. but it should be fine to attach a reasonably heavy wood layer as a lamination to the QR...

is that what you were asking???
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Brent Handy

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:01:24 PM »

This is a one room studio is in the middle of nowhere.  It was a small barn/big garage with cinderblock walls, really nice wood for beams, roof, etc.  A 2x4 wood stud wall was built on the interior of it.  

He is hot on the QuietRock idea, because it will minimize construction time and layers.  He is trying to keep the wall thickness down.  He wants wood to be the finished surface all the way around, with trapping in the appropriate spots.

I didn't know, based on the voodoo of it, if it would fail to perform as specified if it had a heavy, dense layer on top of it.

I suppose Green Glue would work for securing the wood to the QR?

The other thing that concern me is that there is a pitched wood ceiling, and he is anti-cloud.

crna59

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 05:08:08 PM »

Brent Handy wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 11:01

I suppose Green Glue would work for securing the wood to the QR?

Green Glue has no holding properties. It's just a decoupler that will never harden. If you use Green Glue, you will also need to screw in the wood.
I've used 27 cases of it on my project. The stuff is pretty nasty, but it works.
Here is a link to my Mastering room and Post Prod. project.

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

franman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 10:22:41 PM »

There is no voodoo to adding a dense heavy layer on top of a dense heavy isolation lamination... don't worry about it... It will not inhibit the performance of the QR.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Ian Visible

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:59:10 AM »

Quiet Rock just doesn't seem right somehow.

Smooth Jazz I can understand but Quiet Rock?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.