R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Disc Makers  (Read 7939 times)

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
Disc Makers
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »

Normally I like to work with Disc Makers. They have really nice people working there and produce a very nice product. I sent them a DDP of a project on Monday and somehow some of the files "disappeared" from the down load location. I resent the files and they too disappeared. The last time I sent a Master CD to them they lost the CD. I guess they are just getting too big and have too many jobs going at one time. They also asked me to .ZIP the audio files from the DDP but I have had problems in the past with doing that so I sent them uncompressed.

Anyone else have similar "stories"?
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

Allen Corneau

• Real Full Name: Allen Corneau
Re: Disc Makers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:27:49 PM »

About 10-15% of my clients use DM, and I've been using their DDP upload service for several jobs now.

I always make the DDP, run the MD-5 checksum (automatically included via Sadie), zip the file and then send it. No problems so far.

Not sure why you wouldn't zip the file, Thomas, it's kind of a no-brainer.
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering
http://allencorneau.com/

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

• Real Full Name: John Scrip
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:00:19 AM »

ZIP'd DDP's to DM often -- Never had an issue.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Laarsų

• Real Full Name: Laars Oglethorpe, V
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:05:28 AM »

No need to trip.   Please, just do the .zip.   Don't give me no lip, Sri.   Ask for Brian Lipski.   

Brian Lipski
The SoundLAB@Disc Makers
1-800-468-9353

-Laarsų
Laars Oglethorpe, V
Space Camp CD Premastering
Pivot dub lab vinyl products and consulting

Cass Anawaty

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »

ZIP'd DDP's to DM often -- Never had an issue.
Same here. 

Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

rossn

• Real Full Name: Ross Nyberg
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »

We have a number of clients coming in for sessions that have already decided to use D*sc M*kers or Oasis. They both have good packaged products. The "name brands" of CD/DVD replication, I'm glad they're there as a standard of measure.

We always tell our clients about our local and regional CD/DVD replicators, like these guys:

http://www.anyandallmedia.com/who_we_are.html

Great people, friendly service, and they're musicians as well.

JT

Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

jdg

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »

pretty sure oasis just brokers to DM
John McCaig
-the caption captain

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 01:33:42 PM »

I think Disc Makers bought Oasis a couple of years ago.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »

I was told by my mentor NEVER to .ZIP an audio file. Is that no longer true? He said zipping an audio file can lead to unrecoverable errors at the other end.

I would be interested in knowing what the real truth is.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Allen Corneau

• Real Full Name: Allen Corneau
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »

I was told by my mentor NEVER to .ZIP an audio file. Is that no longer true? He said zipping an audio file can lead to unrecoverable errors at the other end.

I don't know if this the case with your mentor's thinking, but I've come across many people who confuse data compression (Zip/StuffIt/etc.) with audio format compression (MP3/AAC/etc.).

I could see that if he thought that "Zipping" was reducing it down to an MP3 then he would be correct in his recommendation.

To be clear, zipping a file (audio or otherwise) won't damage the files in any way. If something becomes corrupted along the transmission process then the un-zipping will fail and you'll know something has gone wrong.
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering
http://allencorneau.com/

Ruairi O Flaherty

• Real Full Name: Ruairi O'Flaherty
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 03:55:38 PM »

What Allen said.  A zipped file is more robust than an unzipped file in that if there's an error it will fail to open.  I've had experiences in the distant past of sending unzipped audio files that opened at the other end with audio errors.  Add in the MD5 checksum for a belt and braces approach.

blip01

• Real Full Name: Brian Lipski
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »

Normally I like to work with Disc Makers. They have really nice people working there and produce a very nice product. I sent them a DDP of a project on Monday and somehow some of the files "disappeared" from the down load location. I resent the files and they too disappeared. The last time I sent a Master CD to them they lost the CD. I guess they are just getting too big and have too many jobs going at one time. They also asked me to .ZIP the audio files from the DDP but I have had problems in the past with doing that so I sent them uncompressed.

Anyone else have similar "stories"?

Hi Thomas, sorry for the hiccups with your uploads. Unfortunately it does happen from time to time that some files do not make it through during the upload process. It's hard to say the exact cause. It could be your ISP, something along the route the data is traveling, our ISP, or our servers getting hit with traffic at that particular time. I am confident in saying that "most" of the time uploads are successful though. For the year we're in the neighborhood of 2000 DDPs uploaded to us by studios/engineers. I do realize me saying that doesn't make your particular situation any less frustrating.

As far as zipping/stuffing the DDP file set we actually do recommend that for DDPs. The "What is this?" link on our upload page takes you to an FAQ where we mention that.

It has already been mentioned, zipping is an extra layer of security. Typically if the zipped folder opens on our end successfully we can be reasonably certain that the data inside is fine. We do occasionally receive a zip that won't open for us, but it's pretty rare.

A checksum, either a CRC32 or MD5, of the entire zip folder, or one for each individual file really makes it a 100% secure process. Myself or one of the other two engineers who handle uploads for DM(Doug or Eric for the record!) verify every checksum if present. If the checksum fails for one of the files we will reject that file set and request a new upload.

And as Laarsų mentioned, I'm pretty accessible. If you're having any audio/upload issues at Disc Makers feel free to call me and I will do whatever I can to help.

I may put this on my biz cards:

No need to trip.   Please, just do the .zip.   Don't give me no lip, Sri.   Ask for Brian Lipski.   

Brian Lipski
The SoundLAB@Disc Makers
1-800-468-9353

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:13:21 AM »

Hi Thomas, sorry for the hiccups with your uploads. Unfortunately it does happen from time to time that some files do not make it through during the upload process. It's hard to say the exact cause. It could be your ISP, something along the route the data is traveling, our ISP, or our servers getting hit with traffic at that particular time. I am confident in saying that "most" of the time uploads are successful though. For the year we're in the neighborhood of 2000 DDPs uploaded to us by studios/engineers. I do realize me saying that doesn't make your particular situation any less frustrating.

As far as zipping/stuffing the DDP file set we actually do recommend that for DDPs. The "What is this?" link on our upload page takes you to an FAQ where we mention that.

It has already been mentioned, zipping is an extra layer of security. Typically if the zipped folder opens on our end successfully we can be reasonably certain that the data inside is fine. We do occasionally receive a zip that won't open for us, but it's pretty rare.

A checksum, either a CRC32 or MD5, of the entire zip folder, or one for each individual file really makes it a 100% secure process. Myself or one of the other two engineers who handle uploads for DM(Doug or Eric for the record!) verify every checksum if present. If the checksum fails for one of the files we will reject that file set and request a new upload.

And as Laarsų mentioned, I'm pretty accessible. If you're having any audio/upload issues at Disc Makers feel free to call me and I will do whatever I can to help.

I may put this on my biz cards:

Brian Lipski
The SoundLAB@Disc Makers
1-800-468-9353

Thanks Brian...

I have been talking to Tom Barrett of your company and he has been very helpful. Great team...Keep up the good work and I will .ZIP all my files from now on.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Treelady

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »

A zipped file is more robust than an unzipped file in that if there's an error it will fail to open. 

+1
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.