R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT : Sound Blocking on the cheap  (Read 5029 times)

eightyeightkeys

OT : Sound Blocking on the cheap
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:34 PM »

My elderly Mother has moved into an apartment where each apartment has it's own A/C unit enclosed within a located on the exterior wall. 1/2" drywall and a typical cheap door is the only thing between this A/C unit and the living space. Needless to say, it's driving my Mom nuts !

I was going to purchase 1/8" vinyl sound block :
http://www.markertek.com/Acoustic-Materials/Acoustic-Construction-Products/Sound-Isolation-Company/SOUNDBARRIER.xhtml
which, itself is reasonably priced, but, the shipping to Toronto is $170 !
I cannot locate a vinyl supplier within Toronto. It seems anything with the label "acoustic" and/or "sound-proofing" anywhere, or, anywhere near a music store will automatically increase the price to double.

Any ideas on isolating this A/C unit and making it whisper quiet ?
David Tkaczuk

robmiller

• Real Full Name: Rob Miller
Re: OT : Sound Blocking on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »

I expect the noise is more dominant through the door than through the GWB?  If there is no door undercut required for air return to the unit, I would put seals on the door and in particular a bottom seal with a mating threshold.  If the door is one of those really lightweight hollow core type, it may be worth replacing it too.  You just want to get the door up to the 2 lb/sqft density of the GWB before doing anything else.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 24 queries.