R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199]   Go Down

Author Topic: HERE WE GO AGAIN (gear group buys)  (Read 528250 times)

Les Ismore

Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN (gear group buys)
« Reply #2970 on: February 12, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »

I think the pres are great even without the eq, and in my purchase a few of the units eqs work which is a nice bonus. The ones that work sound great.
I (as I am sure others as well) would be happy to pay for what it costs to fix the faults in the pres like the 81s eqs etc. A purchasable kit would be great if possible or even just instructions and I'll hire a tech.
Some of the mics are really very nice (310s, 900, 1200, 680 etc.)
Regarding the mics that were doa (3 x 583s, 2 x 200s) it would be great if I could obtain a schematic if possible so I could hire someone to fix them. I don't mind paying to get them working either, but a schematic would be a great help.
I have never doubted your intentions Terry, or those of Chance. It was very generous of you both to donate your time and energy to the group buy. I truly appreciate the plan and efforts underway for some kind of fix for the eqs on the pres, and if it's possible to obtain schematics for the faulty mics that would help me out greatly.
Thanks again and I'm really sorry that it tuned into such a headache for you guys.
Pete
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

crazydoc

« Reply #2971 on: February 14, 2011, 10:21:34 PM »

I spoke with Oliver Archut on the phone today. The preamp fixes are going slowly because (my take on it):

1) He is working on them for nothing, out of friendship for Terry and Chance.

2) He is very busy with his own work, from which he derives his income, particularly the mics, so he tries to do the ACMP stuff in spare moments. He's tried to get help, but no one/wives want to live in Kansas. Crying or Very Sad He could get some help from Europe, but Kansas won't allow work visas due to the high local unemployment.

3) Some parts needed to be bought, and he's been able to use some money from the Bulldog transformer income for this, but the cost of any fixes is still an over-riding concern.

4) As he has stated, the units are/will be going through a long burn in, to make sure the fixes are stable and won't come back to bite him in the ass.

The fixes appear to be a) shielding the power transformer, and b) replacing the bad transistors on the eq boards. The inductors will not be shielded. Although not discussed, I assume the "gain pop" will be fixed, though losing a gain position, by moving a resistor on the board, as previously discussed (oh so far back in this thread and elsewhere.)

My own experience is that he quality control on these was non-existent, so each unit has to be evaluated and treated individually, which takes more time. Of the two preamps I have worked on, I found a cable unconnected (no signal), a jumper pc board not completely plugged in, a fuse jammed at an angle into the holder, a washer trapped under some components on the preamp board, and multiple deteriorating resistors.

I know it's been a long wait for those who sent in their pres to be part of this exploratory phase, but I sent one of mine (and some money) to Steve Hogan two years ago this month as a "guinea-pig" and have yet to receive anything back but a string of empty promises.

If I've got any of this wrong, Terry and Oliver please correct me. Again I commend all concerned for standing behind these. It has certainly taken its toll.

compasspnt

« Reply #2972 on: February 15, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »

Thanks Peter. I think that is basically correct. We will move ahead on repairs as fast as humanly possible, given all of the circumstances you have listed.

This thread will now be locked, in anticipation of the closing of the current forum software in the next few days by REP.

Thanks to all who participated.

We shall see what happens in the new software.

Best regards.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.