R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sontec  (Read 29469 times)

Ben F

• Real Full Name: Ben Feggans
Re: Sontec MES-432D9 arrived yesterday
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 08:23:48 PM »

Sontec MES-432D9 arrived yesterday faster than expected. Front panel beautiful, Quiet, Sounds great.  I owned several Sontecs before (Including a 432/C9) and I could not be happier with this new one. 

I Called Burgess about 2 weeks ago and he said he can deliver in 2 1/2 weeks and I received it in under that. He was amazing to talk with and extremely generous with his time.

I notice the high frequency shelf switches have been moved to above the HF boost/cut dial. Looks really good there. Best HF shelf in the business!

Bonati

• Real Full Name: Josh Bonati
Re: New Sontec
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2011, 11:52:38 PM »

Hey Andrew - it's been a bit since your last update. Any new Sontec insights recently? How much faster are you finding you can dial in the right setting with this EQ?

phonon

• Real Full Name: Andrew Hamilton
Re: New Sontec
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2011, 07:13:24 AM »

The 482 is doing great, Josh.   Having all those frequencies makes it easy to find places to bite down on a mix and be able to change the character favorably with only 1/4 dB cut or boost.   Also, I was never much of a shelver before working with the Sontec.    Now, it's a go-to solution, on its own, or with a bell.  It's a great tool and I've had only positive reviews from my clients since adding it to the chain.   In fact, I had a guy in Europe call who had me transfer files just so he could hear the eq, which he was considering adding to his chain.   At first, he didn't like the results, complaining about a harshness in the upper mids.   I wasn't  really bothered by what he was saying and figured that he just didn't like the Sontec for some reason - there are those who don't like it, or think they don't, for whatever reason.  So, then he calls back and explains that after he had a chance to listen to the flat transfers I had also sent, which completely bypassed the Sontec ins/outs, he realized that the sound he didn't like was my D/A/D chain!   But by listening again to what the Sontec was doing to that signal, he determined that he did like the eq and has ordered an identical unit (482D7) for his studio.   All's I had was a Weiss DAC and an AD122!   This guy was from Copenhagen and _only_ likes Digital Audio Denmark converters....   So...   The 8-band stays.  Also, just added a Weiss EQ-1 MKII and an SFC-2, so I'm not running an analog-only room.    The 1x sources go to the SFC-2 for upsample to 96k and then to the EQ-1 for M/S and then the DAC-1, still at 96k, for D/A to Massivo and/or Sontec.   I am in eq heaven.   What I can't achieve with these three, I don't need to achieve!   ;)

- Andrew
Serif Sound Mastering / Dingbat Lacquer Sound Disk
www.serifsound.com
www.dingbatlsd.com
1 (513) 542-3555
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 24 queries.