R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: consumer surround system recommendations  (Read 4566 times)

Ed Littman

• Real Full Name: Ed Littman
consumer surround system recommendations
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »

As some of you know. I'm doing a major renovation to my house. Theirs a new family room being built & I want to get a head start on a reasonably priced surround set up while the walls are open. I'm not looking to go nuts but if anyone has some good recommendations for me to look at I'd appreciate that.

Also,
The room is approx 17'x20' & the TV/entertainment area will be located on the left 1/2 of the long side with the entry being the right half of the room.

I would not want to put speakers in the far corners(long way) sacrificing the center image. But if place the speakers somewhat half way, there will be a speaker over the enty & look awkward.
any advice? I can post a simple diagram if needed.
THX,
Ed

bkuijt

Re: consumer surround system recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:20:06 PM »

Hi Ed,
I'd suggest to try to achieve itu setup where all speakers are on a circle.
I'm not used to thinking in feet etc and not sure I have the picture clear but orienting the circle with the center on the short wall far away from the door sounds logical because then you 'walk into' the setup and you can then enjoy the image from across the room when you enter.
If you want I can mail you a spreadsheet to calculate the dimensions given max width of your setup (17' minus distance to walls in your case) and some other variations.

If you post a diagram that would certainly clarify things.

As for speakers I have PMC LB1's that I really like. I'm also listening to small KEF's but I don't like those.
And of course B&W make great speakers.
As far as amps go I tend to go for a simple good (analog) surround (power-)amp and rely on the decoding of your player (who knows what the next format will be?). But bass management is nice to have somehow to take the bass load off the front speakers.

Hope my thoughts make sense.

My bests, Bastiaan

Bastiaan Kuijt  //  BK Audio  //  www.bkaudio.nl

Ed Littman

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »

Thanks Bastiaan,
This layout is a bit awkward for speaker placement. there's no changing that due to all the windows & wood stove location. I need to lay the wires before they close the walls. so any suggestions within the limitations of this layout would be appreciated.

Ed

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:02:20 PM »

have you considered in wall speakers - I heard some of the in wall Tannoys the other day dual drivers, ceiling subs - its was a darn good sound.  Im going to do it in my renos - and kid proof :D
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

Ed Littman

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 08:37:47 PM »

The Contractor suggested in wall speakers & I'll look into The Tannoys. However I'm still not shure of placment due to the TV is on the left side of the long wall.
If I commit to the far sides/corners of the room I'm affraid the center & stereo immage will suffer.
Ed

Waltz Mastering

• Real Full Name: Tom Waltz
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:33:52 AM »

Hi Ed,

For placement, based on the diagram.. I'd think you could put the 2 front speakers 3 or so feet to the left and right of the TV.   These could be mounted in the wall or with wall brackets - ear height. 

Directly across on the back wall you could mount the rear speakers with wall brackets.   Hopefully there would be a surface to mount  the right rear speaker between the window and stove...   if not you could screw the bracket into the window frame.  You could also use floor stands for the rears.    Center channel could be above the TV and sub in a corner or mounted in the wall.    I wouldn't put anything on the far wall to the right of the entrance.  2 cents.

B&W, Genelecs, Tannoy, JBL can cost a lot.

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »

wow, what a tricky placement situation. . .  good luck. . . .

at home, i have a Yamaha receiver (decoder, source switcher, amp) and am very happy with it.  i only wish it had more HDMI I/O.  it powers Polk Audio speakers that i'm also reasonably happy with considering the whole 5.1 setup was around $1k.  then, i added a velodyne sub 10" sub.  gets the job done fine for at home and is a pleasure to unwind and watch movies on the weekend.

- nick

Ed Littman

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:18:56 PM »

Toms sugestion seems to be the way to go.  thanks.
 I'm going to hold off on the actual sytem/speakers but run the wire while I have the chance. Thanks Nick, when the time is right i'll look into those products as thats more the budget.
Ed

Ed Littman

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »

What are some recommendations on inwall/outdoor 14 guage wire. I'm also going to feed some wires outdoor hoping to find one type for both.
thx,
Ed

Tim Boyce

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »

Hey Ed, Contact Dominick Costanzo at Battery studios / Sony. He was selling a boat-load of wire.

Bunches of Mogami, etc ... pretty decent cost. Might be cheaper than buying new.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.