R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP10 discussion thread  (Read 31950 times)

maxim

Re: IMP10 discussion thread
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2007, 06:41:28 AM »

right

sort of like adding a smashed drum submix mult?

i find it interesting that dave then ran both channels into an auxiliary to recombine them

M Carter

« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2007, 10:43:43 AM »

Dave -

O/T, but i was browsing your credits - did you work with Brad Leigh on that Five For Fighting record?

back to the grind...
Matt
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

mcsnare

« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2007, 01:00:20 PM »

I didn't work with Brad, but I know him. I think Brad cut the basics on that record. John is an old friend. I used to do demos with him when he was like 21. I mixed his first album that never came out a fews years after that. We got together on his EMI record and I did about a week of overdubs, strings and misc gtrs. It was fun. I thought the mixes sucked, but many times on major label records there are a lot of polics involved....
Dave

ATOR

« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2007, 02:46:17 PM »

I made a recall:

ATOR IMP10 Recall

Credits go to JHall and McSnare, I tried to copy their sound and there's a big difference between imitation and creation.

I'd still like to make things bigger without them taking up more space in the freq spectrum and in headroom. Dave McSnares snaredrum is a great example of this, it's huge but doesn't seem to take up a lot of space.

Most of the time when I try to make something big I:
- eq the sound fatter and thereby make the mix muddy
- compress harder and make it sound lifeless ('pffft' snare instead of 'PAF')
- turn it up louder but actually end up making the rest softer

Dave could you share your snare treatment/settings, it's simply amazing. It's big but without all the side-effects I mentioned above.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

M Carter

« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2007, 03:49:40 PM »

Dave -
Ah, gotcha.  Brad is a friend of mine/works with me.  The world gets smaller everyday.
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

mcsnare

« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2007, 09:47:22 AM »

ATOR, that recall sounds pretty good.
As far as what I did on the snare, it's just lot's of compression and eq. One of the snare mults got a DynIII gate to clean up a bit of the cymbals that get sucked in to all that compression. Also the overheads and room get compressed and don't forget all the drums go to a buss and get compressed AGAIN. There is also a bit of compression on the whole mix. Some of the sound is the most excellent Chandler EMI comp/limiter plug(a must have IMO), and also the UA 1176, which is KILLER. Those and the Massey CT4 are about 90% of what I use for compression. I could do what I do with just Bomb Factory and Waves stuff, but it's just harder and takes longer. Remember, anything that makes the job harder and take longer is taking away from your overall sense of what is happening with the mix.
Dave

ATOR

« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »

mcsnare wrote on Sat, 10 March 2007 15:47

ATOR, that recall sounds pretty good.
As far as what I did on the snare, it's just lot's of compression and eq. One of the snare mults got a DynIII gate to clean up a bit of the cymbals that get sucked in to all that compression. Also the overheads and room get compressed and don't forget all the drums go to a buss and get compressed AGAIN. There is also a bit of compression on the whole mix. Some of the sound is the most excellent Chandler EMI comp/limiter plug(a must have IMO), and also the UA 1176, which is KILLER. Those and the Massey CT4 are about 90% of what I use for compression. I could do what I do with just Bomb Factory and Waves stuff, but it's just harder and takes longer. Remember, anything that makes the job harder and take longer is taking away from your overall sense of what is happening with the mix.
Dave

Thanks Dave. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a little more  Cool

With all that compression going on, how do you keep the drums so clean and separated. I noticed you still have the snare ghoststrokes so you didn't gate that very heavily. When I tried that I got a lot of ugly spill which ruined the kick and cymbals.

When you route your snare to multiple groups, do you use the different groups for different areas, like one to get the body and one for the snap. Or is one normal with the transients left  and the other crushed to fatten up the first.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

mcsnare

« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2007, 12:44:02 PM »

All I can say is you just have to play around with it. I did not combine the snare on my mix of IMP 10 to a buss, just the original and a duplicate, both with varying amounts of eq and compression. I only gated one of the snares. Yes, the general idea is to have one more dynamic and one more crushed for tone.
Dave

j.hall

« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2007, 10:36:18 PM »

sorry guys, i've been tracking a 5 song EP with a friend of mine.  it's been a rather intense few days of two engineers working our fingers to the bone......although i can say that his charter oak mic is blowing my mind currently........

anyway, i'll catch up on the thread and listen to ATOR's recall.  i'm stoked to see what you came up with.

i'll be pulling doubles mon- wed. then i leave for Memphis on thursday through the weekend.....so i might be a bit absent

going 10 - 8 then 8:30- 2am gets old REAL QUICK.  but i gotta work while the workin is good.

maxim

« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2007, 11:43:12 PM »

dave wrote:

"I did not combine the snare on my mix of IMP 10 to a buss"

dave, i'm still struggling to understand why you did with the vocal

sorry for repeated questioning but i love what you did with it so i'm keen to find out

i gather from your explanations so far that you like to add compression in series and parallel

does the vocal auxilliary receive extra compression as well as the mults along the way?

if yes, what sort and how much?

mcsnare

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2007, 10:53:40 AM »

It's really simple. If I want to do something to 2 or more tracks as a group, I combine them into an aux return. Somtimes I just run out of insert spots on a track and send it to an aux so I can insert more processing. No hard rules.
Dave

briefcasemanx

« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2007, 10:23:02 PM »

Damn I keep seeing these things after the deadline is over. I need to keep my comp connected to the internet more!

UnderTow

« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2007, 11:35:23 AM »

briefcasemanx wrote on Mon, 02 April 2007 04:23

Damn I keep seeing these things after the deadline is over. I need to keep my comp connected to the internet more!

Same problem here. I seem to be very busy when the IMPs come and then when I have a few days off, after a couple of days doing nothing I get bored and start checking the web and this site and then I'm too late. Lol  Very Happy

I'll have to pay better attention...

A pitty. This was a nice track. I'll probably do my own mix just for my own fun.

Alistair

UnderTow

« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2007, 04:07:36 PM »

Damn. I've just been reading through the whole thread and listening to various entries. It seems this was a great educational IMP.

And mcsnare, your mix rocks. Smile You bastard. Wink It isn't just the mix but also the decisions you made on a musical level. Good stuff.

Jason,  about notifying people of a new IMP, you could post an announcement in the " IMP (what it is, and what the rules are)" thread. Anyone subscribed to that thread would get an email notification that a new message is posted. As it is locked, you are the only person that can post there.

Alistair
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 22 queries.