R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice little mix/master story....  (Read 3413 times)

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
Nice little mix/master story....
« on: September 11, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »

About 5 years ago I recorded a punk band which have been playing since 1977, they were local to me and I recorded them in a sound proofed place I rented which was used as an "arts" base. I was working full time in the week as an engineer professionally and at the weekend what do you do..... more engineering of course....My partner is an artist so she used it in the week and at weekends rock and roll ruled.

I am now going to be mastering the 10 tracks recorded over 2 Saturdays and combining them with some original tapes from the 70's. Cannot wait to start the project. It's just a nice job to be involved with and I think I have had enough time not to be so close as to lose objectivity.. here are some photo's of the studio space I rented and we recorded in. The guys are really friendly and easy to work with.

It's a pretty messsed up space but suited the vibe....

http://www.the-machines.com/html/studio1a.htm
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

jamesp

Re: Nice little mix/master story....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »

I thought the name sounded familiar Barry - and then I found

http://www.the-machines.com/html/discogbt.htm

and realised why!

Nowadays I would have baked the tape which would have made life much easier.

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music
http://www.jrpmusic.net

SafeandSoundMastering

• My analogue rack
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:58:53 AM »

Hi James, it's a small world  ;)

I have been discussed whether tweaks or leaving them "as is" is the way to go with the band, so I am delivering 2 versions and the guys can decide. Time is on our side with this one.

Already sorted an issue out, turns out the files I had been sent had at some stage made their way to Thailand and got converted to MP3, they were subsequently put on audio cd, ripped as .wav and sent back to me and I noticed the steep LPF at 15kHz ! Re-subs on there way.

Another little story is that the studio despite having an iron bar gate over the front got broken into, lucky for me I recorded with my location recording kit so it was not in the place at the time. (Street wise you see, ha.. studio owner 1 - Robbers nil)
Barry Gardner

jamesp

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 05:29:54 AM »

With a project like this it is also worth talking to any potential record labels too. The band are going to appeal to record collectors who often prefer things to sound like it was recorded in a dodgy studio in '77 rather than something that sounds more modern. I've been told off for making things sound too good sometimes!

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music
http://www.jrpmusic.net

SafeandSoundMastering

• My analogue rack
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:45:14 AM »

Hi James, they are releasing on their own new label. I am in favour of leaving it personally....
as a record of a moment. It's easy to forget what a "record" is, as in marking time or recording events I guess.

They were concerned about how they were going to sit with the 10 tracks I recorded for them as they are as you can imagine somewhat "hi fi". Working this morning I think they are fine as is. I will give them the options and cover all bases, it would probably be smallish tweaks anyway, no point adjusting something to much thats so obviously the sound of an era.

Cheers for the comments.

Barry Gardner
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.