R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: integrating subwoofers... with passive attenuator  (Read 1785 times)

Croger

integrating subwoofers... with passive attenuator
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:24:25 PM »

so,  with my use of the gold point passive attenuator...  if I wanted to integrate a pair of subwoofers what is the recommended way to do so?  I would like to build it into the same box my gold point pot is.  any insight from the forum would be appreciated.  I would think the simple way would be to just split the signal at the outputs of the goldpoint.  but I have done some research and it seems there is a lot of discrepancy regarding how to best integrate a subwoofer(s) into a system.  passive crossovers, active crossovers, etc... I would want to run my main monitors full range.  and utilize a subwoofer with a built in lowpass filter.
____Roger

seriousfun

Re: integrating subwoofers... with passive attenuator
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:32:14 PM »

An active crossover before the power amps for your main speakers and your subwoofers is always the best way to go. The active electronics of course can't be the weak link in your system.

Properly integrated this way, your main speakers will have a tremendous boost in dynamic range, and the transition from subwoofer can be made seamless.

Without high pass filters on the mains, you will have notes in common between the mains and the subwoofer, resulting in unpredictable phase problems in that frequency range.
doug osborne | my day job

Croger

Re: integrating subwoofers... with passive attenuator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:29:51 PM »

unless I have  the subs start at the point where the mains drop off.  there just seems to be so many contradicting methods.

seriousfun wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 16:32

An active crossover before the power amps for your main speakers and your subwoofers is always the best way to go. The active electronics of course can't be the weak link in your system.

Properly integrated this way, your main speakers will have a tremendous boost in dynamic range, and the transition from subwoofer can be made seamless.

Without high pass filters on the mains, you will have notes in common between the mains and the subwoofer, resulting in unpredictable phase problems in that frequency range.

____Roger
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.