R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lavry Blue ADC?  (Read 13890 times)

Jerry Tubb

Re: Lavry Blue ADC?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 08:09:16 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 13 July 2008 09:20

I use the Lavry Blue A>D/C every day, and love it.

+1 very happy with my Blue loop. Great value for the required bread.

Sometimes hit the ADC pretty hard as well... dig it.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2008, 09:43:44 PM »

All's I know is the Gold ADC costs about 10x the price of the same manufacturer's "modular" series.  I would assume that, at the very least, the more expensive ADC performs, say, twice as well as the less expensive one...  Maybe more so?  There are a diminishing rate of returns on high end performance wrt price, but 10x:2x is a pretty conservative guess, no?

Now to figure out this Bill Me Later thing. Twisted Evil

Andrew  
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 09:55:01 PM »

Does anybody ever use the Digital Soft Saturation feature?  It's supposed to make it sound more like tape.  

sui-city

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 05:59:06 AM »

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Sun, 20 July 2008 03:43

All's I know is the Gold ADC costs about 10x the price of the same manufacturer's "modular" series.  I would assume that, at the very least, the more expensive ADC performs, say, twice as well as the less expensive one...  Maybe more so?  There are a diminishing rate of returns on high end performance wrt price, but 10x:2x is a pretty conservative guess, no?

Now to figure out this Bill Me Later thing. Twisted Evil

Andrew  

Retail on the Gold ADC is $7,500. So about 5 times the price of the Blue AD.

The Gold DAC is $8,500. About 6 times the price of the Blue DAC.

Bob Boyd

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »

Phil Demetro wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 12:30

The Dream (and 924) seem just to have music and not much else...the sounds are more glued together. All there: tightness, focus & clarity. No floating spurious energy. No veil, no unresolved frequencies. No haze. Maybe huggy in the sense that I don't think I'm distracted by hearing electronics with these converters.

I think this is one of the things I love about the DA924's.  It's able to pull off deep detail while sounding very cohesive.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 11:34:44 AM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Sun, 20 July 2008 16:23

Phil Demetro wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 12:30

The Dream (and 924) seem just to have music and not much else...the sounds are more glued together. All there: tightness, focus & clarity. No floating spurious energy. No veil, no unresolved frequencies. No haze. Maybe huggy in the sense that I don't think I'm distracted by hearing electronics with these converters.

I think this is one of the things I love about the DA924's.  It's able to pull off deep detail while sounding very cohesive.

FWIW, Prism has stated that in order to make the Orpheus they had to redo a great deal of the layout and circuits so it couldn't possibly be the same as the Dream and 924 interfaces.

The Orpheus still obviously sounds awesome, though.

I'm very curious to hear people's experience if they've been able to use one and compared it to Apogee's, Lavry's and so forth. From the recordings I've heard (a friend bought two Orpheus... does that make them Orphei? and I've listened to material recorded through his old converters and the new ones) they are very clean and open but so far I can't detect any "euphemism" or "coloration". Compared to, say, Apogee's which does just that.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 10:23:52 AM »

sui-city wrote on Sun, 20 July 2008 05:59

Retail on the Gold ADC is $7,500. So about 5 times the price of the Blue AD...

Actually, I was referring to the $850 price for the modules for those who already have a frame.  So, the Gold would be about 10x the price for an upgrade at this stage.

Even at 5x the price it might still be 1.61803... times better than the Blue! )}:

Andrew

www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Viitalahde

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 05:32:30 PM »

After taking a week off, I gave (shouldn't it was a vacation!) some thoughts to the Orpheus.

It's probably very good, but I'd still like to keep things in the AES/EBU world. I want standalone converters and a set-up that is easy to upgrade.

Blues still seem good to me, and I'm pretty much set up on them for now..
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.