R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Gallup: Nearly 100 Million Muslims Believe 9/11 was 'Justified'  (Read 14589 times)

organica

Gallup: Nearly 100 Million Muslims Believe 9/11 was 'Justified'
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:55:09 AM »

edit : fascinating

index.php/fa/4372/0/

The Times
February 21, 2007
Anti-American feelings soar among Muslims, study finds

Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent
The War on Terror has radicalised Muslims around the world to unprecedented levels of anti-American feeling, according to the largest survey of Muslims ever to be conducted.

Seven per cent believe that the events of 9/11 were ?completely justified?. In Saudi Arabia, 79 per cent had an ?unfavourable view? of the US.

Gallup?s Centre for Muslim Studies in New York carried out surveys of 10,000 Muslims in ten predominantly Muslim countries. One finding was that the wealthier and better-educated the Muslim was, the more likely he was to be radicalised.

The surveys were carried out in 2005 and 2006. Along with an earlier Gallup survey in nine other countries in 2001, they represent the views of more than 90 per cent of the world?s Muslims. A further 1,500 Muslims in London, Paris and Berlin are involved in a separate poll to be published in April.

Background
John Humphrys: The real battle is for the heart of an Arab child
The enemy within
Comment: Rod Liddle: Too much tolerance can hurt a country
Kelly launches fund to fight Islamic extremism
Minette Marrin: Oppose America and you are at war with yourself
The findings come in a climate of growing mistrust between Islam and the West. Another recent survey in the US found that 39 per cent of Americans felt some prejudice towards Muslims.

The Gallup findings indicate that, in terms of spiritual values and the emphasis on the family and the future, Americans have more in common with Muslims than they do with their Western counterparts in Europe.

A large number of Muslims supported the Western ideal of democratic government. Fifty per cent of radicals supported democracy, compared with 35 per cent of moderates.

Religion was found to have little to do with radicalisation or antipathy towards Western culture. Muslims were condemnatory of promiscuity and a sense of moral decay. What they admired most was liberty, its democratic system, technology and freedom of speech.

While there was widespread support for Sharia, or Islamic law, only a minority wanted religious leaders to be making laws. Most women in the predominantly Muslim countries believed that Sharia should be the source of a nation?s laws, but they strongly believed in equal rights for women.

This finding indicates the complexity of the struggle ahead for Western understanding. Few Western commentators can see how women could embrace the veil, Sharia and equal rights at the same time.

Researchers set out to examine the truth behind the stock response in the West to the question of when it will know it is winning the war on terror. Foreign policy experts tend to believe that victory will come when the Islamic world rejects radicalism. ?Every politician has a theory: radicals are religious fundamentalists; they are poor; they are full of hopeless-ness and hate. But those theories are wrong,? the researchers reported.

?We find that Muslim radicals have more in common with their moderate brethren than is often assumed. If the West wants to reach the extremists, and empower the moderate majority, it must first recognise who it?s up against.?

Gallup says that because terrorists often hijack Islamic precepts for their own ends, pundits and politicians in the West sometimes portray Islam as a religion of terrorism.

?They often charge that religious fervour triggers radical and violent views,? said John Esposito, a religion professor, and Dalia Mogahed, Gallup?s Muslim studies director, in one analysis. ?But the data say otherwise. There is no significant difference in religiosity between moderates and radicals. In fact, radicals are no more likely to attend religious services regularly than are moderates.?

They continue: ?It?s no secret that many in the Muslim world suffer from crippling poverty and lack of education. But are radicals any poorer than their fellow Muslims? We found the opposite: there is indeed a key difference between radicals and moderates when it comes to income and education, but it is the radicals who earn more and stay in school longer.?

In fact, the surveys found that the radicals were more satisfied with their finances and quality of life than moderates.

Genieve Abdo, a senior Gallup analyst and author of Mecca and Main Street: Muslim Life in America After 9/11, said that the findings of a high level of religious belief among both moderate and radical Muslims had ?huge implications? for Western governments.

She said: ?We have to assume that these Islamic parties and movements that are coming to power are popular and have a large constituency. People are not just voting for a party, they are voting for a religion, a way of life.?

She said that the Gallup findings countered the argument that, for example, a vote for Hamas was a vote against the former Palestinian government of Arafat rather than a vote for the extreme religious position of the new government.

Looking west

Percentage with unfavourable view of US in 2005 (all increased since 9/11 except where indicated:

79%

Saudi Arabia

65%

Jordan

49%

Morocco

52%

Iran (down from 63 in 2001)

65%

Pakistan (down from 69 in 2001)
     http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/ article1415550.ece

Jon Hodgson

Re: Gallup: Nearly 100 Million Muslims Believe 9/11 was 'Justified'
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:02:04 AM »

I wonder what the numbers would have been before the invasion of Iraq.

Also if you actually read the content of what you posted you'll see that they actually found no correlation between religiosity and radicalism. Which would indicate that this is really a cultural and political problem, not a religious one.

organica

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:32:19 AM »

Jon Hodgson wrote on Thu, 22 February 2007 11:02

you'll see that they actually found no correlation between religiosity and radicalism. Which would indicate that this is really a cultural and political problem, not a religious one.

agreed
it clearly is a cultural thing

Tidewater

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:03:35 PM »

I don't really care for them either.

I don't mind a nuclear war, if they don't. I am not going to be scared by them.

They could do with a little humility, maybe a great deal of humiliation.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

rankus

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 03:11:27 PM »

"Fuck with the best - Die like the rest" ~ Hells Angels
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Tidewater

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »

Sick of the rhetoric from both sides, and the propaganda... just wanting to thread that needle, and sew this one up.

I don't think God is on my side, but he's not on their's either, and he can't stop physics.

When the time comes, stand back 10 feet, and I'll press the button.

M

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 06:41:11 PM »

Tidewater wrote on Thu, 22 February 2007 20:19

Sick of the rhetoric from both sides, and the propaganda... just wanting to thread that needle, and sew this one up.

I don't think God is on my side, but he's not on their's either, and he can't stop physics.

M

Yup that's realy sensible, nuking the muddle east is going to make you so much safer....

not.

The Romans tried annihilating the Christians... see how successful they were.

Tidewater

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 07:43:22 PM »

Context.

I am prepared to take on all comers. I ain't goin' nowhere.

M

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 07:47:34 PM »

Tidewater wrote on Fri, 23 February 2007 00:43

Context.

I am prepared to take on all comers. I ain't goin' nowhere.

M

Getting all macho about it doesn't do you any good.

You can't fight ideas with bombs.

There are ways to fight, there are ways to win, but with an enemy like this "let's nuke 'em all" is just a messy murderous route to defeat.

Tidewater

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:31:12 PM »

Idea containers expire under undue physical pressure.

Let me make this perfectly clear.. if someone threatens harm to my mother, I will take that at face value, and turn their forever into a bubbly glass plain.

I'm good for whatever they have to offer, and one more.

The NAZI problem was handled, and so will be radical Islam.

M

PRobb

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »

I can't seem to find it (I'll give Google another crack) but I have seen it and the differences are absolutely shocking. 30-40 point swings in most of the world- including Western Europe.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 06:21:35 AM »

PRobb wrote on Fri, 23 February 2007 05:20

I can't seem to find it (I'll give Google another crack) but I have seen it and the differences are absolutely shocking. 30-40 point swings in most of the world- including Western Europe.

Precisely.

I'll bet if you did a survey of people in the UK, you could even exclude all the muslims, and you'd get a figure way over 50% for people who had an "unfavourable view" of the US.

Doesn't measn they hate the US, or want to attack the US or for any US citizens to come to harm, it doesn't even mean that there aren't things about the US that they admire or love, but that they don't like the way the US is conducting itself.

The seven percent who supposedly think the 9/11 attacks were completely justified is more worrying, but I'll bet that number would have been a lot less before the invasion of Iraq. Doesn't make the view right, but it does show that attacking a party that was not previously involved is a good way to make the situation worse.

Tidewater seems to think that there's one group of people threatening his family and his country all bunched together somewhere in a desert where he can drop a nuke on and it'll all be over.

Tidewater

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 07:03:39 AM »

I can't care what you think of me. I have to take care of myself first, and you second.

You can call me Miles, totally won't offend me.

That little Hitler wannabe is about to have an ass shaped hat.

(dood from Iran) Arborneckstretchminijihad..

M

rphilbeck

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 07:33:36 AM »

Jon Hodgson wrote on Thu, 22 February 2007 18:41

Tidewater wrote on Thu, 22 February 2007 20:19

M

Yup that's realy sensible, nuking the muddle east is going to make you so much safer....

not.

The Romans tried annihilating the Christians... see how successful they were.

But the Romans didn't have enough nuclear bombs to kill the world three times over.

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 07:39:43 AM »

Tidewater wrote on Fri, 23 February 2007 12:03

I can't care what you think of me. I have to take care of myself first, and you second.

But your ideas wouldn't take care of you.

They'd destroy a lot of innocent people, and a few guilty ones... and then leave enough really pissed off ones that your demise would be inevitable.

This is in no way like the situation in the second world war, where there was a country that could be engaged and defeated.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.