R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Could I get some advice on my studio plan?  (Read 6325 times)

E.P.

Could I get some advice on my studio plan?
« on: February 21, 2007, 07:20:41 PM »

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice and comments on my studio acoustics plan.

I've drawn out a diagram of what I was planning to do.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/400325526_3e64aae8f9_o.jpg

I'm in a Townhouse with drywall walls, cinder blocks between houses.

The treatment is for the inside acoustics mostly - not to stop sound carrying.

I was thinking about using 2' x 4' x 4" Rock wool covered with burlap. One in each corner, and three on the wall in front of the console, and three on the ceiling above the console.

Some specific questions I'm still tring to solve:

• There is a small bit of back wall behind me, maybe 12 ft back. I was thinking a diffuser would be good there.

• I only have treatment in the wall corners, not the ceiling corners. Do I need to address that?

• I'm wondering if I need three basstraps on the facing wall, and three on the ceiling - would two do?

• The monitors (Mackie HR 824) will be very close to the wall on Sound Anchors. I'm concerned it's too close, but the 38% rule sort of pushes me there.

What do you guys think of this plan?

Quote from Ethan. Smile

matucha

Re: Could I get some advice on my studio plan?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:30:02 PM »

well it is possible that you'll find better positions for speakers more "inside" of the room and you'll move your listening position to 2nd half 38%

tables... a bit too much of them and placed asymetricaly

the treatment behind the speakers does not address the places where you (likely) get your 1st reflection (you have a gap there)

you'll still have to put absorbtion or diffusion on the sidewalls in the back, you have too much of the bare wall and it could "ring".

what are these black curved symbols? doors? if so, why is there the hall? how are you going to use it? if you leave it without treatment it is going to color the room (or reverb characteristics). Why don't you use it as a mashine room or why don't you use it for extending a booth space? well the proportions of the booth then wouldn't be perfect, i know, but it is just a suggestion...

E.P.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »

Ah, I guess one thing I should have said here.

This studio is also use to do design work, so the table to the left is for the Computer -also used in the studio.

The hall leads to a bathroom. The curved things are doors.

Since we'll be moving in a few years I don't want to do any major construction, I'm looking to put up treatment that I can take down.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:37:16 AM »

Honestly, that looks pretty good for limiting yourself to mods that can be "reversed".  I'd recommend some diffusion on the rear wall and the back end of the side walls.  I haven't run the modal frequencies, but I guarantee that low ceiling will bring the low frequency "lumpiness" well up above the lowest bass frequencies, making more bass trapping will be better than less.  (In a room that size, more is almost always better than less.)  There might some "modal pileup" with the other dimensions that will just make things worse, but all in all, it's not a bad size for a room, and I think your layout makes sense.

J.F.Oros

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:21:15 PM »

Just an observation : the way you have now set the absorption panels leaves the front wall and ceiling primary reflection points untreated (they fall between your panels). I should move the front wall panels a bit inwards closer to the center one and also I would  turn a little the ceiling panels so the side from the speaker remains in place above the speaker (to stop flutter) and the listener side come closer to the middle panel, to follow a little the speakers/listener triangle  (sorry, I hope I was able to make myself understood).
[ Flaviu Oros - acoustics engineer ]
[ JF Studio Design - Romania ]

Ethan Winer

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »

Gil,

> three on the wall in front of the console, and three on the ceiling above the console. <

The front wall is not as important a reflection point as the rear wall or the specific reflection points on the side where you have curtains. Curtains are okay in a pinch, but ideally you'd put better absorption there. In this case "better" is defined as absorbing to a low enough frequency to be useful.

> There is a small bit of back wall behind me, maybe 12 ft back. I was thinking a diffuser would be good there. <

Sure.

> I only have treatment in the wall corners, not the ceiling corners. Do I need to address that? <

Yes! It's impossible to make any room perfectly flat and with no modal ringing. So the more bass traps you add, the closer you'll get. This is another reason to consider thicker absorption at the side wall reflection points. If nothing else, it adds yet more bass trapping into the room.

> I'm wondering if I need three basstraps on the facing wall, and three on the ceiling - would two do? <

Two are fine for two channels. If you plan to mix surround you'll need to also cover the center speaker reflection point, plus the additional side wall reflection points.

--Ethan

E.P.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 03:44:30 PM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Thu, 22 February 2007 13:36

The front wall is not as important a reflection point as the rear wall or the specific reflection points on the side where you have curtains. Curtains are okay in a pinch, but ideally you'd put better absorption there. In this case "better" is defined as absorbing to a low enough frequency to be useful.

Two are fine for two channels...additional side wall reflection points.

--Ethan

So If I understand what you, Matous and Justinian are saying, I haven't figured out my reflection points properly, bottom line.

The corners are OK, but I need to read up on how to find reflection points and position the front wall, ceiling and side wall absorbtion there. Therefore killing both reflections and providing bass traps.

Then I can use the same broadband absorbers to kill flutter echo in corners, and also increase the bass traping.

BTW, the reason I thought I would use curtains on the right side is because there are curtains on the left over the window, and I thought that would make it even on both sides.

Ethan Winer

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 03:37:07 PM »

Gil,

> I need to read up on how to find reflection points <

Look here:

http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm
http://www.realtraps.com/rfz.htm

> BTW, the reason I thought I would use curtains on the right side is because there are curtains on the left over the window, and I thought that would make it even on both sides. <

Your thinking is correct. Symmetry is very important, But so is absorbing early reflections to a sufficiently low frequency!

--Ethan

E.P.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 04:34:28 PM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Fri, 23 February 2007 14:37

> BTW, the reason I thought I would use curtains on the right side is because there are curtains on the left over the window, and I thought that would make it even on both sides. <

Your thinking is correct. Symmetry is very important, But so is absorbing early reflections to a sufficiently low frequency!

--Ethan

So do you think I would be better off with one side having a trap, and the other curtains, or curtains on both? It could be a problem having both sides with traps, as that is a window we use.

E.P.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 10:48:06 PM »

Here's an update on what I'm thinking, and a 3D drawing I did to show what else is in the studio. I've got the quote from Ethan on the page to remind me what to do. Smile

I think the gear on the console top might be an issue for reflections (it's in a rack in two bins on either side.) I'm wondering if I should move it into the rack space under the console. I would rather not do that if I don't have to, though.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/400325526_3e64aae8f9_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/161/400325516_38f79e0d6b_o.jpg

Ethan Winer

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »

Gil,

> So do you think I would be better off with one side having a trap, and the other curtains, or curtains on both? It could be a problem having both sides with traps, as that is a window we use. <

Another possibility is to make/buy a very thick curtain. If you got a thick stage type curtain and backed it with 1 inch thick cotton batting, that will be good for both sides and will also look nice.

--Ethan

E.P.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 02:38:01 PM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Sat, 24 February 2007 12:52

Gil,

> So do you think I would be better off with one side having a trap, and the other curtains, or curtains on both? It could be a problem having both sides with traps, as that is a window we use. <

Another possibility is to make/buy a very thick curtain. If you got a thick stage type curtain and backed it with 1 inch thick cotton batting, that will be good for both sides and will also look nice.

--Ethan

Thank you!! Excellent idea!

Do you think the gear in racks on top of my table is an issue? I could rack it in the lower racks, but I kind of like having it up top, since I would be twiddling Reverb and compressor settings with my head ducked down.

Tom C

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 04:35:04 PM »

BTW, I've got the same problem with a window like you.
My (so far) best solution is a gobo which I move in front
of the window when needed.

Tom

Tom

.signature failure

E.P.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 09:47:57 PM »

Tom C wrote on Sat, 24 February 2007 15:35

BTW, I've got the same problem with a window like you.
My (so far) best solution is a gobo which I move in front
of the window when needed.

Tom

Cool, Tom, that sounds like a good idea, too.

I think I might try the bulked up curtains first, and go to the gobo if that doesn't work like I would like it to.

Ethan Winer

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 05:50:09 PM »

Gil1 wrote on Sat, 24 February 2007 14:38

Do you think the gear in racks on top of my table is an issue?

Probably. Shocked

Me, I've been totally in the box for 5 years or more, and I've never looked back.

--Ethan
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.