R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Requisite Audio L2M mk. III -- who's in?  (Read 18555 times)

Greg Reierson

Re: Requisite Audio L2M mk. III -- who's in?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 06:43:32 PM »

All I can say is hrrrrumph! I've had my mkII for less than a year and Danny goes and one-ups me!

I can't tell from the photo...has he learned to spell s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e ?? javascript: insertTag(document.post_form.msg_body, '', ' Very Happy ');

Love the mkII. Don't dare try the mkIII...

GR

carlsaff

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 06:52:21 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 17:43

has he learned to spell s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e

Apparently not!

Andy Krehm

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 07:51:29 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 18:43

All I can say is hrrrrumph! I've had my mkII for less than a year and Danny goes and one-ups me!

I can't tell from the photo...has he learned to spell s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e ?? javascript: insertTag(document.post_form.msg_body, '', ' Very Happy ');

Love the mkII. Don't dare try the mkIII...

GR

As a Mark II owner, this describes my feeling exactly! Actually I had a Mark I and traded up to my current unit.

He did mention to us a year ago that he was going to search the internet to see if anyone else spelled separate like he does (seperate) so maybe he found some dictionary where this is an alternate spelling (just kidding, Danny!).

Actually, Danny is one of the kindest, most helpful individuals that I've ever talked with and if you need advice or suggestions on how one might best utilize his gear (and probably just about anything else in your studio), he always seems to have time to talk.

bblackwood

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 17:52

Greg Reierson wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 17:43

has he learned to spell s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e

Apparently not!

Oof!

I gotta admit, if the designer won't/can't even make the time to spell-check, it does make me wonder about the deisgn...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jason goz

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 08:19:16 AM »

mastermind wrote on Sat, 17 February 2007 06:05

carlsaff wrote on Fri, 16 February 2007 15:16

Tho I've never used an L2M, I've heard what it can do (via Trevor Sadler's fine work)..

Carl you are way too kind.   Thank you.

I LOVE my L2M.... you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead, hands. I actually bought mine used from a guy and I considered it a total score.... it freaking rocks.

I'm interested in seeing what the new version is about... but after buying a Crookwood, a used Avalon 2077, and a downstroke on a Shadow Hills.... the mastermind bank account is pretty freaking depleted.

I'm fortunate that someone has loaned me his shadow hills comp (a guy here in town who bought one on the pre-order list) for an extended period... and I gotta tell you.. even though I hate the "overly retro" styling of the thing... it freaking rocks. You can bang the opto comp into TOMRROW with good results and then follow up with a little bump-bump-kiss-kiss with the discrete comp and it's all smiles.... I've been meaning to write a more detailed report......  but you get the idea....

t

If you could only have one or the other(L2M or Shadow hills comp)
Which one would it be.
Jason

mastermind

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 10:39:58 AM »

Jason Goz wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 07:19

If you could only have one or the other(L2M or Shadow hills comp)
Which one would it be.
Jason

Well... I have both. As of late I've been using the SH more, but that could just be because it's the new kid on the block.

I will say this, I'm not going to sell the requisite any time soon.

t

trevor sadler

Greg Reierson

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 02:08:07 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 19:32

Oof!

I gotta admit, if the designer won't/can't even make the time to spell-check, it does make me wonder about the deisgn...

You've got to meet Danny (and peek inside the L2M chassis) to appreciate his flair. If he thought fixing the spelling would improve the sound I'm sure he'd jump on it.

GR

bblackwood

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 08:38:28 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 13:08

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 19:32

Oof!

You've got to meet Danny (and peek inside the L2M chassis) to appreciate his flair. If he thought fixing the spelling would improve the sound I'm sure he'd jump on it.

Oh, yah, I'm just joking. I don't have to believe in everything the designer does - if the box sounds good, that's all that matters. This is one of the few boxes I'm actually interested in hearing.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

carlsaff

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2007, 04:41:09 PM »

Here's a much nicer pic Danny sent me with the optional tube power supply underneath. The tube power supply is probably overkill, but it certainly looks cool.

I love what this thing does for "hard" digital mids. It's a similar effect to tape bouncing.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/carlsaff/L2M_with_Tube_Supply.jpg

bblackwood

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2007, 04:47:47 PM »

You sure that's a PSU underneath it? Looks like a tube amp....
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

carlsaff

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 05:01:03 PM »

Sorry -- meant to include this note from Danny's email:

"The photo actually shows a studio power amp, but the tube supply looks identical to that amps front panel."

Helge Sten

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 05:12:40 PM »

It probably is an amp, but the new PSU uses the same chassis, so I guess it is for illustration purposes.  It might be overkill with a tube PSU, but his work and craftmanship is very special.  Most people would probably consider the normal PSU overkill!  He has always shared his knowledge withouth promoting his own gear and I would be very surprised if he made such a PSU if it would not improve the sound in his range of gear.  I would love to hear his new speaker system...
Helge Sten
Audio Virus LAB
Oslo, Norway

carlsaff

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 05:21:53 PM »

Helge Sten wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 16:12

Most people would probably consider the normal PSU overkill!

It is certainly substantial!

Quote:

I would love to hear his new speaker system...

He shared with me a sketch of his EQ design (has been in development for ages) -- the Program Tone Control. Interesting concept. A simple, 10-band fixed frequency sweetening EQ. I'd try it out.

livingstone

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2007, 04:09:08 AM »

Hi Carl,

so what are your feelings about the L2M mkII after a week of use ?
you still seduced ?
frederic alstadt
www.angstrom-mastering.com

__________no time_______no sound_________

carlsaff

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2007, 07:05:09 AM »

Mk. III you mean.  Smile

Yep. It's really something else. I'm repeating myself at this point, but... it does subtly nice things to the mids just by being in path (that nice softening of "hard" digital mids that tape bouncing can sometimes accomplish) and one or two clicks of the limiter feedback control is a really cool trick to have in the bag. It adds a nice presence, richness and thickness to the tone (due to added harmonics, I believe?). You do have to be careful not to abuse it, though. Depending on the material, even one click is sometimes too much, and I haven't gone past 2 clicks yet. Doubt I will. It goes all the way to 10, which sounds quite distorted. For tracking, the extreme settings are probably useful as an effect.

I have only used it once as the sole compressor in a chain, and it worked very well. Usually, it is in path for tone (no GR) or doing 1-2b of limiting after my STC-8 or 2500 and before my AD.

I have yet to swap out the Sovtek tubes for Telefunkens, but I've heard it's a smart move, so I will eventually.

Definitely done buying compressors for a long while! Gonna start saving for Forssell's EQ I think...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.