R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Sonic's SoundBlade alive?  (Read 6191 times)

bradsarno

• Real Full Name: Brad Sarno
Is Sonic's SoundBlade alive?
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:38:31 PM »

Just wondering. I have this gut feeling that SoundBlade is not developing and being supported as the company had once promised. Very little word coming from them. Literally years behind now on getting this thing solid. It does a few things real well, and it does indeed sound good, but the glitches and flaws and instabilities are still pretty glaring for me. Bad enough that I really don't enjoy the workflow and the issues and wish I had a better tool. Many of us have a lot of $$ tied up in this thing, and I feel like I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Anyone know what's up with their development team? I think I hear the sound of crickets coming from SS. Website hasn't been updated much at all. No activity or notification of new builds of the software versions. Limited support on the site. Am I missing something, or is Sonic (and SoundBlade) in trouble?

Brad

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
Re: Is Sonic's SoundBlade alive?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:55:03 AM »

You might consider becoming a beta tester.

soundBlade 2.0 (beta) is running really well on my Snow Leopard Mac.

Cheers, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

josh00101

• Real Full Name: Josh Caban
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:58 AM »

I'm also using Beta 2.0 and its working great on Snow Leopard.  Weird sounding recordings with Lion though, so stick with Snow Leopard until things are sorted out.

bradsarno

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »

I AM on V2 Beta, have been for quite a long while now. I still struggle with strange instabilities and terribly slow/glitchy parameter changes on desk-event native plug-ins. That's only one of a good handful of other gripes and wishes and weirdnesses. I've been gung-ho in support for this thing, but it seems like V2 is still sitting at this very same beta build/version for maybe a year or so now without progress.

I've got Snow Leopard, a new 2010 Mac Pro superfast machine, etc. I just feel like the development and refinement of certain aspects of SB is not a very active process over there. Seems like they got more into Amarra or perhaps some of their other products. I guess I need to make a very specific list for them and see how they respond. The tech help guys have been VERY cool and friendly, but my gripes are aimed at the code writing, development team and their pace.

Brad

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »

but it seems like V2 is still sitting at this very same beta build/version for maybe a year or so now without progress.

Hey Brad!

You might check the beta group and newer versions again.
The more recent builds over the last 2-3 months, and particularly the latest build has been giving me excellent results.

Naturally I won't discuss details in public due to the NDA.

I'm not Sonic tech support, but if I can help, send me a PM.

Cheers, JT
Terra Nova Mastering

jdg

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »

when it worked, i loved slingBlade... but for me, this was a rare event

there are things i miss about the workflow, but switching to a pitch/catch (with catch on samp11 (PC) and pitch (OSX) ) two years ago has more then made up for what i miss in sB

i'd consider picking it up again _if_ it ever becomes stable
John McCaig
-the caption captain

bradsarno

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »

Thanks Jerry.

Just minutes ago I got an email from Sonic support with the latest and quite recent builds. I'm not officially a beta tester but due to some plug-in incompatibilities with v1, they've provided me with beta 2. I'm happy to see this. I was just getting the feeling that nothing was stirring over there, and my previous v2 build is fairly old and still buggy. I'll report back in a few days after playing with this new build of v2. I REALLY want SB to work for me. For me it's a pitch/catch setup and I want plug-in implementation to be flawless so I have the best of both worlds as well as an easy workflow. I have been doing pitch/catch in a DAW and then just using SB for DDP and CD-R creation. But I really do want it to be the whole shebang for me.

Now this may be an embarrassingly novice question, but in SB when you have a sequence of songs, markers in place, and then want to make very small adjustments to pause lengths/spacing, what is your favorite method of doing this so that all following tracks retain their relative time info? Some programs automatically let all subsequent files follow any single pause adjustments. Do you simply do a command to select all tracks after the edit point so they follow the pause edit? Is there an automatic way in SB?

Thanks,
B

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »

Do you simply do a command to select all tracks after the edit point so they follow the pause edit? Is there an automatic way in SB?

Yes, it's Command-Shift-Right Arrow!

Use it constantly.

Then the plus or minus keys to nudge the regions left or right.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering

bradsarno

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:48:27 AM »

Thanks Jerry. I need to spend more time in there.

I looked at the build history of the beta V2 since the one I had been using, and there were maybe a dozen or more releases listed since. So apparently I was way behind and lots has been fixed and improved. I'll report back with my findings.

Brad

fractured

• Real Full Name: Andy Bernbaum
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 09:57:25 PM »

I recently purchased SoundBlade and am Beta testing 2.0. Most of my problems are from my own learning curve.  SoundBlade is rock solid stable and easy to use for me so far. My UA dsp and plug ins works great with some extremely minor quirks in metering. I also need to spend more time, but plenty happy.

bradsarno

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »

Fortunately, since I threw my hands up in the air a couple of weeks ago and started this thread and contacted Sonic, I was provided with a MUCH more updated build of V2. I think there were actually more than a dozen build updates since the one I had been so frustrated with. So now, things are pretty good. I need more time to push it, but definitely headed in a great direction for me.

My only basic gripe at the moment is that for some reason, every time I run sB, my audio i/o pref's get reset and I have to start over. I did delete pref's before installation. Any tips there?

But yes, it feels good to know that Sonic is indeed busy and alive as they get ready for a real V2 release.

Brad

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.