R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interview with Vlado Meller "The Future? Format-Specific Mastering Processes"  (Read 4619 times)

MatteskyK

• Real Full Name: Kevin Mattesky

I'm posting this article as I believe this could start an interesting discussion on mastering for multiple formats.  The article is entitled "The Future?  Format-Specific Mastering Process" by Paul Resnikoff http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/090211mastering#ZF_o_BaJNlfRhF6xB0fQiQ.  In this article he does a quick interview with Vlado Meller based around the new Red Hot Chili Peppers Album and it's multi-format release.  What are your thoughts about this article?  Do you believe mastering for multi-formats will become more common place, or are you more inclined to stick with one master that will be released on multiple formats? 

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/090211mastering#ZF_o_BaJNlfRhF6xB0fQiQ   
Kevin Mattesky

Waltz Mastering

• Real Full Name: Tom Waltz

Whether it's part trying to get a better product out for the listeners or part marketing,... while it seems like a valiant effort, I just don't see it catching on.

I have the cd and the M4a tracks released on itunes and haven't had time to really check them in depth or compare them yet.

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis

Quote from: Digital Music News,  Friday, September 02, 2011
After all, this is being touted as the first rock record specifically mastered for iTunes.

This can't be true ;-P  I did a few last year and some the year before that. . .

Some clients are on a budget not able to have both masters made, but I frequently master for cd and (pre)master for vinyl.  Although, i'm not crazy about the mp3 and aac formats, it would be nice for clients to pay some attention to exactly what format they are going to release for rather than the digital (download) release as an afterthought.  It's a separate format and should have a separate master.  Makes sense to me.

- nick

phonon

• Real Full Name: Andrew Hamilton

One of the sacred elder ME's used to say that the best sounding MP3 was the one made from the best sounding CD premaster.   The implication was that finessing differently for MP3 would be a waste of time or was wagging the dog, somehow.   Anyone using a real-time decimator in the chain?

Andrew
Serif Sound Mastering / Dingbat Lacquer Sound Disk
www.serifsound.com
www.dingbatlsd.com
1 (513) 542-3555

Allen Corneau

• Real Full Name: Allen Corneau

I would guess using something like the Sonnox Fraunhofer Pro-Codec software would make it easier to make these different versions, or at least a good compromise to cover these different versions.

I'd be curious to know how many folks are using the Pro-Codec (or similar) versus just making the best CD version and letting the MP3's fall where they may.
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering
http://allencorneau.com/

Greg Reierson

This can't be true ;-P  I did a few last year and some the year before that. . .

My first thought as well.

Making different masters for different formats has been around as long as there have been different formats.

GR
Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering

Joe_caithness

• Real Full Name: Joseph Caithness

Making different masters for different formats has been around as long as there have been different formats.

GR

Is exactly what I thought when I read the thread title..
http://www.subsequentmastering.com

Online mastering, based in Nottingham, UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.