R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: (M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!  (Read 66193 times)

Stephen Andrew Bright

Re: (M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

Hi Ryan:

It is a murky topic, and even with new mics there are 7 levels of pricing: List, MAP, Discount, Wholesale, Employee, Cost and Blowout. I find it useful to simply ask, how much does a new one cost? The retail price gives you a general idea of the consumer cost of an instant replacement.

Used prices are even more volatile, because nobody is enforcing MAP -- and you can certainly buy a used pair of mics at a bargain price, sell one at the normal price, and keep the other one with $0 as your unit cost.

I agree that you are always buying more than sonics. Especially with vintage gear, there is an emotional component that is very strong, not to mention history, brand name, star power, advertising, and hype. This is usually what the market is selling, and why it is unreliable.

Stephen

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »

Stephen Andrew Bright wrote on Sun, 21 February 2010 19:15

An easy way to calculate the value of a vintage mic is by a percentage of the current replacement model. If the vintage design is superior, than anything under 100% of a new one is undervalued, anything under 50% is a bargain, and anything under 25% is a downright steal.

I am scratching my head: what is the "current replacement model" of an M49, U47 or U67, or a dozen other vintage luminaries to which I could apply your hypothesis?

I have found what I recommend to my customers- to simply tabulate and average used mic prices for a few months in order to assess their current market value- to be a better tool. It also instantly makes apparent what the current and future trends of certain models are, in comparing these prices to prices of, let's say, a few years ago.

Take Neumann's M149: its used price is currently considerably below the current street price of a new one, with a continuing slightly downward trend.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Stephen Andrew Bright

« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »

Hi Klaus:

A new Neumann M149  is 5k, a Wunder CM49 is 6k, so that gives you a ballpark figure on how much it costs to make a new one these days -- and that you are paying about a 100% premium for buying a vintage one.

Ironically, we used to buy used gear because it was the same product at about 50% off retail. Now we are tempted to buy new to get about the same kind of discount!

Stephen

Eric H.

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2010, 03:05:03 PM »

Stephen Andrew Bright wrote on Mon, 22 February 2010 03:15

Here are the most undervalued SDCs in my opinion:

<http://www.schoepsclassics.de/1965_cmmt30.htm>

I have one CMT30 with the supercardio capsule. It is  very nice mic, so very even for a supercardio that you would think it is a cardio. The off axis response if great as well.
Schoeps mics are indeed under rated. Their new mics are the best SDC you can buy new, IMO.
eric harizanos

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.