R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing under a pseudonym or "stage name"  (Read 2074 times)

PaulyD

Writing under a pseudonym or "stage name"
« on: February 12, 2007, 05:25:14 AM »

Does anyone here know if a pseudonym or "stage name" can be trademarked or protected in any fashion?

Conversely, if someone started releasing music under a fictitious name and later found out that someone else in the music or entertainment industry is using the same (or a very similar) fictitious name, could there be any liabilities beyond one of the parties having to stop using the name?

It seems like there should be some legal way of documenting the date upon which someone starts releasing music or written works under a pseudonym. That way, if a dispute ever arose, one of the parties could at least establish when they began using the pseudonym.

Maybe this works the same as a band name?

tia for any replies,

Paul

p.mento

Re: Writing under a pseudonym or "stage name"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »

you can write your name on a piece of paper, put it in a envelope, place the stamp over the closing latch and send it to you.

the date on the stamp will tell when you came up with the idea. (you might ask in the post office to do a nice readable postmark.)

you're not supposed to open the thing unless for legal matters under the supervision of an attorney.

however, i'm sure this is also easy to fake and i don't know how much this will do for you in a legal war.
Fi Real!

resolectric

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 08:57:10 AM »

Artistic rights protection services, the ones where you register your music, lyrics, paintings, novels, etc. here in Europe allow you to include "artistic pseudonyms" to your member description.

You can use you band's name or your stage name as a author's name as long as they're aware of its existence. Music that gets played on the radio and is identified as belonging to "pseudonym/stage name" is subject th authoring rights (airplay royalties) and the money thus collected is delivered to the author that has the original register for the pseudonym.

I believe the system is international since most performance rights companies cooperate with each other, worldwide. Therefore, pseudonym registry is valid worldwide.

Careful Collapse

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 11:55:38 AM »

The mailing-it-to-yourself trick will not hold up in anyway.

A trademark is what you're looking for.  Here's a decent read I found on The Google! http://www.musicbizacademy.com/articles/klovetrademark.htm
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

el duderino

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 04:19:20 PM »

trademarking is the best bet.

Don't know if you've heard about Puffy's problems in the UK. Apparently it all started when he changed his name to just diddy. There was a british guy who was also a record producer (albeit not as famous, but he has had a couple hits apparently)with the same name and he's been using it since the 80's or something much earlier than puffy. End result, puffy lost and cant use the name diddy there. BUT, there is now another suit going on because of his myspace page and some other online stuff because its worldwide and violates the agreement to the previous lawsuit. I realize the odds of this happening to anyone are slim as hell but a trademark would solve the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.