R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple, Beatles Settle Trademark Suit  (Read 1623 times)

Bob Boyd

Apple, Beatles Settle Trademark Suit
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »

OK, not mastering, but music related...

--------

From Associated Press
February 05, 2007 9:37 AM EST

CUPERTINO, Calif. - IPod maker Apple and the manager of The Beatles' Apple Corps resolved their long-simmering dispute on Monday about who has the right to the Apple trademark.

The settlement offered greater hope to fans of George, Paul, John and Ringo that the two sides could now focus on permitting downloads of the band's music through the iPod maker's iTunes online music service. The catalog of all Beatles songs, including "Let it Be," "Get Back" and "She Loves You," is the largest holdout from iTunes and other online music services.

The new settlement replaces the companies' 1991 agreement and gives Apple Inc. ownership of all the trademarks related to "Apple," meaning it will continue using its name and logos on iTunes. In addition, Apple Inc. will license certain of those trademarks back to Apple Corps for their continued use.

This settlement ends the ongoing trademark lawsuit between the companies, with each paying its own legal costs. Further terms weren't disclosed.

"We love the Beatles, and it has been painful being at odds with them over these trademarks," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "It feels great to resolve this in a positive manner, and in a way that should remove the potential of further disagreements in the future."

Neil Aspinall, manager of Apple Corps, said the company was glad to resolve the dispute.

"The years ahead are going to be very exciting times for us. We wish Apple Inc. every success and look forward to many years of peaceful co-operation with them," he said.

The joint announcement from Apple Inc. and Apple Corps, however, was silent on the prospects of Beatles downloads.

Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

bigaudioblowhard

Re: Apple, Beatles Settle Trademark Suit
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 11:17:41 AM »

Apparently the next Battle For The Beatles is ownership of digital (dowloads). I've not read it anywhere, but "have heard through my sources". Could be heresay though.

Anyone shed any light here?

bab

cerberus

Re: Apple, Beatles Settle Trademark Suit
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 04:17:21 PM »

i suspect that jobsy endeavors to acquire the atv/sony catalog from jacko. thus no announcement on downloads, yet.  otherwise, every day he is wasting now means money down the drain.  

jobs had already renamed his company a month ago, ostensibly for completely unrelated reasons.  this settlement would have been needed to legalize that name change.  so i think that this deal was done long ago.  

i think that the staggered announcements were planned  to give wall street time to asses each news item separately, and in a particular sequence.  so i think there will be a third act; and that it will be more dramatic than just: "we are finally offering the catalog for download ".

jeff dinces
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.