R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sontec  (Read 29468 times)

phonon

• Real Full Name: Andrew Hamilton
Re: New Sontec
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 03:36:32 PM »

Props to Dr. SALT.  Still gotta get up to see that 1" 2-track.    Speaking of which, I wanted to add that the veteran cutter I was
talking to who didn't use much if any low pass was pitching from tape, back then, - not a DAC.   Same for Cat and Bob Welsh cuts, of course. 
There's gotta be some free de-celeration built into a tape recorded chain, compared to a digital capture, in addition to the good eqing those pros got?

Also, he did use a Sontec! Which means he had access to shelves and bells in the cutting room.  I have no room for a Sontec in the SP console.  I have no room for even a 1 RU EEq in the Plan A.
 It's a 2-knife job.  Reminds me of Screen Actors Guild membership.  Can't cut signals without protective eq.   Can't build good protection until you cut just-good records.  Safe records: bad.  Risky but playable records: double plus good.

By the way, how much time/cost/sweat equity would it take to turn a 1/4" A80 2-track into a preview version?

Yes, I will do no "flat cuts" that aren't auditioned and examined from tip to toe.  Even Ricker says not to skip around previewing the material - but to
 look for any spikes in treble across the entire continuously examined tape/hd master.   We in premastering are used to this type of rigor.   
Only I was thinking I wouldn't need to learn anything for mastering, since I'd only have to scratch the surface of this particular Art.  (;

Andrew
Serif Sound Mastering / Dingbat Lacquer Sound Disk
www.serifsound.com
www.dingbatlsd.com
1 (513) 542-3555

Gold

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »

By the way, how much time/cost/sweat equity would it take to turn a 1/4" A80 2-track into a preview version?

Technically it's easy. Practically it's impossible. You would just have to cut a hole in the deck cover to accommodate the preview head stack and plug it in. Finding a preview headstack or having one made would be impractical.

** I have never done it and I don't know whether the holes actually line up or there are other gotchyas
Paul Gold
Salt Mastering

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 10:54:18 PM »

You bought my dream EQ!  Loving my MEP250EX but one day I hope to own a MES-482D7.  1/4dB steps for the first two clicks is amazing.  Enjoy!

David Green

Re: Sontec MES-432D9 arrived yesterday
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 03:33:35 PM »

Sontec MES-432D9 arrived yesterday faster than expected. Front panel beautiful, Quiet, Sounds great.  I owned several Sontecs before (Including a 432/C9) and I could not be happier with this new one. 

I Called Burgess about 2 weeks ago and he said he can deliver in 2 1/2 weeks and I received it in under that. He was amazing to talk with and extremely generous with his time.

bblackwood

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »

Very nice, David - congrats!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Michael Hynes

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »

How does the new sontec sound in direct comparison with the Buzz?
I see you have a req 2.2 below and I have one coming on tuesday, just curious as not many folks
have both side by side.

phonon

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 04:43:31 PM »

Gorgeous, David. 

Andrew

www.serifsound.com
www.dingbatlsd.com
1 (513) 542-3555

hnewman

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »

Andrew, do you mind me asking what the turnaround time was for your unit?  Did it ship with a backup opamp?

David Green

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »

How does the new sontec sound in direct comparison with the Buzz?

Very different.

Table Of Tone

Re: Sontec MES-432D9 arrived yesterday
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »

Sontec MES-432D9 arrived yesterday faster than expected. Front panel beautiful, Quiet, Sounds great.  I owned several Sontecs before (Including a 432/C9) and I could not be happier with this new one. 

I Called Burgess about 2 weeks ago and he said he can deliver in 2 1/2 weeks and I received it in under that. He was amazing to talk with and extremely generous with his time.
How much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?

josh00101

• Real Full Name: Josh Caban
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 06:33:37 PM »

Thank you for the information. Been hearing a lot of great things about the new Sontecs.

Michael Hynes

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 08:34:33 PM »

Very different.

Could you be more specific?

Alécio Costa - Brazil

• Real Full Name: Alécio T. Costa
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 01:48:20 AM »

Congrats, Andrew!
BTW.. I see you have 2 main analog equalizers.
Are both running at stereo mode or one unit is dedicated for M-S tasks?
Or do you prefer to do any M-S ITB before/after the analog loop?

Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

phonon

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »

Andrew, do you mind me asking what the turnaround time was for your unit?  Did it ship with a backup opamp?
My unit took longer than anyone's else in Sontec history, so it's not really a good anecdote to go by. 
Let's just say, Barack Obama was already President when I ordered the unit.  (:   
The faceplate manufacturer had to train a new fabricator.  The circuit, which was for the first ever +/- 7 dB 482 unit had to be tweaked.  Etc... 
I knew going in that it would take some time to get the one I wanted.   It was a near-epic wait.  However, I'd order one all over again, if I only had the Rubles...
One good thing is I only had to put down half the money before it was delivered. 
So, the price isn't really as harsh on the wallet (in one go) as it would be to fork over all at once...  The longer it takes, the less the dollar's worth! (;

Don't order a Sontec if you need one on your desk by yesterday.  They build these models by hand, in batches of no more than about 4 or 6 at a time.  No eq's are stocked.  Components are not stockpiled, either.   

Andrew 
www.serifsound.com
www.dingbatlsd.com
1 (513) 542-3555

phonon

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 08:25:51 AM »

Congrats, Andrew!
BTW.. I see you have 2 main analog equalizers.
Are both running at stereo mode or one unit is dedicated for M-S tasks?
Or do you prefer to do any M-S ITB before/after the analog loop?

Hi Alécio,
     I actually do very little L+R/L-R processing.   Sometimes, ITB before the analog gear, sometimes, after.  But I almost always have  the analog eq's running in L/R mode.
     I tend to think of M/S as a broad stroke and, as such, feel that good plugins can handle this just fine, especially considering the headroom and matrixing issues involved.  How is your mileage with it?

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
www.dingbatlsd.com
1 (513) 542-3555
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 25 queries.