R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to start?  (Read 3147 times)

Tape boy

How to start?
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »

I want to upgrade my home studio from a 4 track to a decent analogue set up.  I have limited funds and it is only for private use so it needs to be basic.
What equiptment to i need???
Tape Boy!!!

isophase

Re: How to start?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 06:25:02 PM »

hello,
is it a cassette 4track? or 1/4"? or 1/2"?
to upgrade your studio, you might need:
1. more mics
2. decent cablage
3. decent audio path (mixer)
4. accesptable recorder (4 track is fine)
5. decent room acoustic (this actualy comes first)
to me, this seams like a great update
what do you want to do?
jon,

Tape boy

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:36:05 AM »

It's a Tascam cassette 4 track, Portastudio 424 MkIII.  I don't really need many tracks at this point, 4 - 8 tracks is fine for my music, I just want a better recording facility.
Tape Boy!!!

scottoliphant

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 10:40:17 AM »

budget? i think people need more info from you

Tape boy

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 04:01:37 PM »

Basically I want to take things a bit further.  I don't want to build a top of the range studio straight away, I just wanna know what I'd need to start with.
Steve
Tape Boy!!!

Oh! My Sea Captain!

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »

Decent analog setup with limited funds?

Get a computer.

Or a lot more money.
Tell her she's beautiful, roll the world over...

scottoliphant

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:03:24 PM »

my intro to the world of analog was the otari 5050 8 track. you can find theme in good condition for fairly cheap, maybe $500. buy an old 8 channel mixer with a couple of buss options (i had an old soundcraft 200 series, also fairly affordable). grab a couple of pieces of outboard effects, a pair of decent monitors, build a few snakes, etc. You'll also need an MRL tape (another several hundred dollars), cleaner and supplies, a couple of tweakers, possibly a degausser, a manual, a tone generator, an oscilloscope, a good multimeter, and of course, tape. Be willing to get used to the ins and outs of a real tape machin, aligning it, maintaining it, etc. you could improve the quality by stepping up to a 1" 8 track, or larger machine, but the price goes up substantially. hope this helps!

wwittman

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 11:41:43 PM »

Oh! My Sea Captain! wrote on Fri, 02 February 2007 16:39

Get a computer.

that's neither decent nor an analogue set-up.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Curve Dominant

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 12:37:51 AM »

wwittman wrote on Sat, 03 February 2007 04:41

Oh! My Sea Captain! wrote on Fri, 02 February 2007 16:39

Get a computer.

that's neither decent nor an analogue set-up.

Perhaps, but it's realistic.

scottoliphant

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 12:49:24 AM »

Quote:

Perhaps, but it's realistic.

if he really went out and legally purchased the software / plugins / hardware he needed to get started, not to mention build a computer, it would be fairly pricey. i applaud anyone who wants to learn how to record to tape.

Tape boy

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 05:20:22 AM »

ARGH!!! sounds like i'm taking on a big task.  My other option was to get a hard disc digital thingy, I have a computer but its not that modern, only windows 98 etc, what software would i need and where would i buy or download it???
Tape Boy!!!

darkhorseporter

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 02:54:51 PM »

Start simple -

Do you have a mixer?
If not, get a cheap 8 or 16 channel mixer as budget allows.  The pros here might harp on Mackie or Behringer, but they do the job for a beginner with a limited budget.

What do you have for mics?
Try to (eventually) get enough to record an entire band at once.  Get a variety of inexpensive (but quality) mics.  Several dynamics, large diaphragm condensers, etc...  Here are some cheap mics that I like:
Shure SM57 - get a few for guitars and snare
CAD e100 - 2 for drum overheads, bright but effective.  Usable for vocals and and guitars as well
Studio Projects C1 - decent vocal/utility mic
AKG D112 - standard issue kick drum mic
DI box for bass - not really a mic, but I'll put it here anyways

Cables and mic stands?
These add up quick - I think BSW has package deals 5/$100 or something.

Monitors?
Behringer, M-Audio, Yamaha.  You can get a pair of powered monitors for (easily) less than $400

Outboard gear - compressors, reverbs, eqs, mic pres, etc...
I'd say after you've gotten a decent start on the mics, try to get a couple compressors.  Two or four channels to start.  Then a reverb unit.  For the time being you can use the eq on your mixer.

Lastly, your recording device.
Why last, even though it might is arguably the most important part?  Because everything else can be used with a 4 track cassette/8 track reel to reel/ADAT/DAW/whatever.  Having the other gear in hand will allow decent recordings on your Tascam.  You will be hard pressed to make decent recordings on an Otari 1/2" reel to reel without mics.

All said, what are YOUR needs?  Are you recording a band?  Just solo acoustic music?  The more info you provide, the better advice you will receive.

craig boychuk

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 05:41:13 PM »

darkhorseporter wrote on Sat, 03 February 2007 13:54

Start simple -

...Do you have a mixer?...What do you have for mics?...Cables and mic stands?...Monitors?

First I would look at monitors. What do you use now?

All the gear in the world won't make you a better record if you don't have a reliable reference point that you can trust.

Next, a mixer & more mics would be the place to go. No matter what your recording device is, you will always need these. The better your front end is, the better your recordings will be.

Personally, I would avoid the Behringer stuff entirely in favour of other budget gear. IMHO.

Quote:

All said, what are YOUR needs? Are you recording a band? Just solo acoustic music? The more info you provide, the better advice you will receive.

Couldn't agree more!!

Aside from getting better advice, it's a good exercise to take stock of your position and figure out exactly what you want to do. Then you will have a better idea of what you need for the task, and it will be easier to set goals and prioritize them. Make a list!!

The incredible amount of choices out there can be daunting, so it's best to narrow it down as best you can.

-craig
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.