R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ridiculous!  (Read 6588 times)

Keyplayer

Ridiculous!
« on: January 31, 2007, 09:51:21 AM »

So I'm finishing up some work in my office when a popup from McAfee appears on my desktop. It says the latest upgrades are available and would I like to do that now. 'Okay," I thought. It'll only take a minute. So I selected yes and a few minutes later, I had the latest version of McAfee's flagship protection.

The only problem was now, I couldn't get onto the internet!:  Since the ONLY thing that had changed was that upgrade, I went into my services folder and disabled McAfee, since it no loger gave me this option from the application itself. Sure enough, I could now get back onto the web. But now I have no protection! What's wrong with this picture?!!?

"This is stupid." I thought and did a system restore. McAfee had now wiped out drivers that I needed in the old version. So it no longer worked!  

I fooled with it for several hours now spread out over a couple of days trying to resolve this madness before giving in and calling McAfee's product support. Now why didn't I just do that in the first place you ask? because McAfee CHARGES $2.95 PER MINUTE FOR TECHINCAL SUPPORT!!!!

Let's review:
My system worked fine until THEY suggested this upgrade.

I did and now I've got protection with no internet access (thus no longer requiring protection), OR internet access without the protection I paid for.

Now I need help fixing a problem that THEY CAUSED and they're going to extort additional money from me to fix it.
Didn't the feds arrest the mob for this kind of crap?

To be fair, the first 2 minutes are free. But as you'll spend those 2 minutes on hold, it's irrelevant. They suggested that you call back if you're on hold that long without talking to someone, which, of course throws you further back in line.

I got some nice young and clearly knowlegeable lady to help me with the problem. But I was so annoyed about the charge, that it was difficult to focus. I asked if she got many complaints about the this issue, referring to the $2.95 a minute charge. She thought that I meant complaints about this new upgrade and said, "Yeah, we've gotten A LOT OF CALLS ABOUT THIS ONE." Are you kidding me?!!? They have to know this upgrade is worthless? This is a total shake down!

She got me through the process, which was mostly silence, waiting for things to down/upload, install or re-start. I'd spent over $121 bucks for this thrilling conversation!!!!! Since she was sure this fixed the problem, she suggested that I end the call and just wait for the restart. So I eagerly accepted that advice. Six minutes later the process was complete and I STILL COULDN'T GET ON THE INTERNET!!!

There was no way in hell I was going to waste another nickel with this BS. I removed all of their product from my system and promptly went out and purchased Kaspersky's Internet Security. The guys at CompUSA said this was the best out there now. But I was prepared to just by Norton, if for no other reason than FREE PRODUCT SUPPORT.

I just finished an extensive inspection of the Kaspersky website. They had tons of helpful information laid out in a logical manner and, as long as you're a registered subscriber, their product support is FREE (as in no additional charge), just the way it's supposed to be! I am now bak online AND protected.

From here on out, I am a declared 'McAfee Hater." I will not support them or their products. I will take every opportunity to warn other potential customers about their INSANE BUSINESS PRACTICES and i can't wait for that company to go belly up!

Yeah, I know. I'm just a really pissed off, disatisfied consumer right now at the "point of impact." So my rage is quite fresh. But that doesn't make this warning to you any less viable. When it's time, don't renew your subscription with them. Given their practices, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Thomas Lester

Re: Ridiculous!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:29:43 AM »

Whatever you do... don't buy a Mac!  You'll miss out on all the fun you are having now.  Plus... all of us mac folks are crazy zealots.   Razz

I'm just yanking your chain.  I'm sorry you are going through this.   Don't get me wrong...  I'm thrilled that I never have these problems and don't have to buy anti-virus software, buy I do hate to see when someone has to suffer with their "tools".

-Tom

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »

Yes indeedy.

I have nine laptops doing various duties, seven Macs and two PC's.  The PC's have at least 98% of all the problems that come up.

This Symantec/MacAfee/Other thing is both a scam and an outrage...oh, and just stupid.

Harland

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »

Same problem with McCaffee here. I don't have my recording computer online so not to worry there, but I haven't renewed my McCaffee on my internet computer and I'm just running it un-updated til I decide on a different company. (taking a chance there I know, but I'm about to turn that particular computer over to my 4 year old anyway)
Harland

garret

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:00:24 PM »

Indeed, Mcafee's been bad news as long as I can remember, back to 95 or so...  my full time job is computer systems & programming (music is just a side thing).  Norton's stuff is a bit better, especially their enterprise stuff.

For a cheap alternative, try Grisoft AVG... for home or small business use, the free version should be fine.

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 08:21:55 AM »

Whatever you do... don't buy a Mac! You'll miss out on all the fun you are having now. Plus... all of us mac folks are crazy zealots.  

I always use to say: Macs are made for idiots, PC's are made by idiots.

Der Schallfeldwebel
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

djui5

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »

I had McCaffee, and uninstalled that crap last night. What an annoying program.
I installed this instead. It's free, and was given 5 stars by Cnet. Amazing program to say the least.

http://www.avast.com/
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 05:06:41 PM »

McAfee is pure a unmitigated DISASTER on a work machine.  I've found Zone Alarm AV to be one of the most unobtrusive. It doesn't slow the machine to a crawl and there is plenty of under-the-hood tweaking you can do to optimize it further.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

neustation

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 07:14:16 PM »

Hi,

On the PC, I use AVG Free edition and it works better than any of the other (norton,McAfee,etc.) anti-virus software I have tried.

Get AVG Free here,     http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus-free/lng/us/tpl/v 5

I am lucky also, I only use the PC for Counter Strike, and mac for everything else.

Out,

Robert

P.S. Opps! I did not see the above reply with the AVG Free mentioned. Anyway it is the best one to use with the least problems.

ScotcH

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 04:23:32 PM »

neustation wrote on Sun, 11 March 2007 19:14

Hi,

On the PC, I use AVG Free edition and it works better than any of the other (norton,McAfee,etc.) anti-virus software I have tried.

Get AVG Free here,      http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus-free/lng/us/tpl/v 5

I am lucky also, I only use the PC for Counter Strike, and mac for everything else.

Out,

Robert

P.S. Opps! I did not see the above reply with the AVG Free mentioned. Anyway it is the best one to use with the least problems.

Yup, really anyone who is paying for any AV products ... do yourself a favour and try AVG.  It's free, small, updates everyday, and it won't hog your system and install tonnes of unnecessary garbage like all the other "pro" solutions.

DO NOT use Norton products ... they instantly turn your PC into an 5 year old outdated brick.
Arek Wojciechowski - Laundry Room, Basement, Garage, Bedroom, etc.

blaugruen7

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 04:56:36 AM »

wow!
121$ for a phone call that helped nothing.
thats at least 120$ too much.
you could have got a chinese mic for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.