R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: video of the new tonelux compressor in action  (Read 2603 times)

u b k

video of the new tonelux compressor in action
« on: January 29, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »

well, i'm an old hound at gearslutz but this is my first post to psw, here's hoping this is an appropriate forum for this.

i did a big blog of namm out in anaheim, took a ton of photos and captured some cool video.  this is one of my favorite moments from the show (the other is when i heard the anamod tape modeler and realized i may have found the replacement for my studer); i asked paul wolff (tonelux's designer) to give a rundown of his new compressor module for the folks that couldn't be there in person.  not only did i get some sweet compressor action, i actually got a good mix lesson as well, which i wasn't expecting.

in particular, i was fascinated by paul's bravery with the high shelf, and just how low he set it.  notice on the guits, it's down somewhere around 500-1k and it is CRANKED, like 12 or 15db.  he couples it with a lowmid push around 200 to restore some body, but it's cool how much midrange space this approach reserved, while making the instruments very present in a way that sounded more natural than a hi freq bell or a shelf up closer to the air.

as far as the comp is concerned, what can i say... it's punchy as all get-out, can go really fast on the attack (50 microseconds), and has that delicious tonelux vibe(kinda api, more open) i love the 2500, and this one kinda takes that piece and runs with it.  whatever is switch selectable on the 2500 has a full sweep knob on the tonelux.  so you can, e.g., choose an action that is 1/3 feedback and 2/3 feedforward.  there's also a mix knob for wet/dry, something every compressor should have always had imo.  some did, but most don't, maybe that'll change soon.

enjoy the vid, maybe you'll learn a trick or two, i know i did!

gregory scott

ubk.mix

http://www.youtube.com/v/82U7zY-dmO8
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 16 queries.