R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KRK V8 s2, an upgrade from Alesis Monitor 1's?  (Read 2332 times)

zekmoe

KRK V8 s2, an upgrade from Alesis Monitor 1's?
« on: January 27, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »

I've been hoping to get some new moniters, as an upgrade from my current setup. (Alesis Monitor 1's, driven by a good 205 watt Parasound Amp.) I want the Parasound amp back in my home theater system, and often get recordings that have an excess of bass when played back on other systems, because the M1's don't seem to reproduce those ultra lows. Are the powered KRK V8's an upgrade from this setup? I record for my own fun, in a home studio, and record live 2 guitar, bass, drums, live jams and REM/Plimsouls/Wilco/Romantics/Nada Surf type original music. Looking for good guitar representation primarily. Can't spend thousands. Would these be good sounding AND better for this situation. Soundtracs Topaz 24 mixer. Decent sounding mix room IMHO, separate from the tracking room. If not, what else would be good powered speakers for this? I am hoping to spend less than $1200. Could go a little more if there are something ideal for rock music representation. Opinions greatly sought. Thanks.
Bob
Not a downstroke, fistpicker.

Garrett H

Re: KRK V8 s2, an upgrade from Alesis Monitor 1's?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »

You've got to get speakers in your studio and audition them.  

KRK makes great speakers, but some people can't get with their mid-range.  Others can't work without them.  Some people love ADAMs, others can't deal with the high end.  The list goes on and on with every maker.

Monitors are a very personal decision. Unless there is another engineer you know who always seems to hear things the same way you do, you're sort of on your own.

Best,
GH
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

rankus

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:11:37 PM »

I had the M1's... pure garbage!  Absolute crap!  Can you tell that I hate these speakers?

Anyway, I got a pair of KRK V6's and am as happy as a puppy since... I auditioned the V8's as well , but my beef with 8 inch two way speakers (in general not just the KRK's) is not having enough coverage in the mids, but that may be just my ears....

Things translate very well with the V6's.
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

zekmoe

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 05:40:08 AM »

Thanks. I won't really be able to audition them, outside of listening to them in the stores, and don't know any engineers. My main complaint with the M1's so far has been that I've been surprised by the amound of low bass when I play back stuff on other speakers. That's why I thought V8's as I'd maybe be able to tune the bass better. Remember, it's not a real studio, and I don't do a variety of music. Guitar, bass and drums rock. Mostly jangly guitar sound with a lead. Simple stuff. Never some great vocalists. So acurate reproduction of that stuff is key. I'll listen to the V6's and V8s and see if I like one better. I have some of my own recordings to try out. Plus stuff that was done elswhere in a pro studio which would be my target sound.
Bob
Not a downstroke, fistpicker.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.