R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: False Wall Suggestions  (Read 1790 times)

dconstruction

False Wall Suggestions
« on: January 26, 2007, 04:34:45 PM »

I've got a control room about 12x16.  Two windows, two doors, and an annoying asymmetrical brick chimney.  See attached picture.  Right now, it's got some home-made panel absorbers, 4" thick, 2x4' in dimension hung about the room.  It's temporary.

But what I want is to get away from temporary.

As you can see in the picture, I've anticipated installing false walls, plus traps in the corners (picture shows just one wall, but likely all corners will be trapped).

The question is: how should I build the false walls to get maximum benefit?  I'm contemplating:
  1. Fabric walls over a bunch of mineral wool (like the panel absorbers, but on a grander scale)
  2. The same as above, but with covered with plywood slats at varying widths - a Helmholtz of sorts (which works well in my vocal booth)
  3. A blend of the two above
  4. Thin drywall over an insulated space
  5. Something else?  

The combinations are nearly endless.  Plus, there's all that space I'll be cutting out.  Should that be air (CHEAP) or packed with insulation?

Or should I not bother with the false walls at all?  I figured they'd be a good way of getting away from the rectangular nature of the room, plus add some large-scale variable-width broad-band absorption.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

L

http://dconstruction.org/dmeter/images/control_room_small.JPG

franman

Re: False Wall Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:26:46 PM »

We like to use a combination of deep porous trapping in corners and at least 4-6" thick on side walls and ceilings at first reflection points..

THe Helmholtz slats are a "classic" and work great in the rear half of the room where they add some small amount of diffusion and some high/mid freq return into the room to keep it from being too dead. (natural sounding control room is ideal... if you walk in and talk and it sounds very natural with no obvious LF resonance and not too dead, but no noticable decay, you're right on the path)...

Hope this helps.. Don't forget to trap the corners as deep as you can afford (to give up space).. This is soooo important!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.