R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speck ASC-T and Toft AFC-2 EQ comparisons?  (Read 8742 times)

zakco

Speck ASC-T and Toft AFC-2 EQ comparisons?
« on: January 25, 2007, 04:29:26 PM »

Hi There,

I'm looking for 2 channels of mid priced EQ for tracking applications with acoustic piano being the primary focus. Mainly midrange cuts and subtle HF boosts. A good HPF is also a bonus. I' m looking for clarity and detail rather than vibe or mojo. Having said that, brittle/hardness in the top end is a no-no.

Both the Speck ASC-T and the Toft AFC fit my budget requirements. I can order either through my local dealer but I won't be able to order both and return one, so I'm looking for opinions from people who have used both units. also, the preamps in the toft are irrelevant to me as I have plenty of great pres already.

The AFC being half the price, my question is...can it hang with the speck in the application I've described?

Thanks,

-Z-

danickstr

Re: Speck ASC-T and Toft AFC-2 EQ comparisons?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:26:38 AM »

Just because I am a trouble-maker (not really, I believe that in buying high-end gear you should be able to hear stuff you want to buy), I would talk directly to Toft Audio and Speck electronics and tell them that you are willing to pay shipping to your dealer with the understanding that they are to participate in your shoot-out.  

I would bet 5 bucks that they will both be amenable to this idea and send a unit to your dealer.  They are small companies and they do this sort of thing because good engineers demand it.

Good luck.  

There will be a sound to both of these units, but I bet that when you hear them, you will decide that you don't mind the bit of sheen.

I think Mercenary sells these too and while I cannot speak for them I would not be surprised if you could pay for both and send back the one you didn't like for a credit, minus shipping.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Kris

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:52:21 AM »

To me the Speck works well as a 'surgical' eq for precise cuts... with also a bit of a hard high end in comparison to the toft which is a very nice sweetener... You probably need both.

zakco

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 01:29:50 PM »

danickstr wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 21:26

I think Mercenary sells these too and while I cannot speak for them I would not be surprised if you could pay for both and send back the one you didn't like for a credit, minus shipping.

I've done this in the past but I'm really trying to keep all my purchases inside of canada from now on. Buying from US dealers in no problem until I need warranty service. I recently spent almost $200 on "free" warranty repair from API. Between international shipping 2 ways and brokerage fees at the border, it's brutal. I know it's supposed to be covered under NAFTA, but no matter how much paperwork gets filled out, Purolator, Fedex and UPS still charge brokerage based on the insured value regardless if it's a warranty repair. I've been through this over and over and I just can't deal with it anymore, way too much of a headache...

When I buy from a local dealer, I simply return the item. They cover shipping and their is no brokerage/duties. I don't mind paying a bit more for the product up front to get this kind of service.

-Z-

zakco

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 01:35:24 PM »

Kris wrote on Fri, 26 January 2007 08:52

To me the Speck works well as a 'surgical' eq for precise cuts... with also a bit of a hard high end in comparison to the toft which is a very nice sweetener... You probably need both.

both...for a minute there, I thought I was on gearslutz...haha.
In the end you're probably right, but for now I'll be getting one pair only...

I just noticed that the Toft has a fixed Q for the midrange bands, which depending on the width, may be a bit of a problem. How wide are they? The speck definitely looks more versatile...

-Z-

PookyNMR

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 12:13:32 AM »

zakco wrote on Fri, 26 January 2007 11:29

I've done this in the past but I'm really trying to keep all my purchases inside of canada from now on. Buying from US dealers in no problem until I need warranty service. I recently spent almost $200 on "free" warranty repair from API. Between international shipping 2 ways and brokerage fees at the border, it's brutal. I know it's supposed to be covered under NAFTA, but no matter how much paperwork gets filled out, Purolator, Fedex and UPS still charge brokerage based on the insured value regardless if it's a warranty repair. I've been through this over and over and I just can't deal with it anymore, way too much of a headache...

When I buy from a local dealer, I simply return the item. They cover shipping and their is no brokerage/duties. I don't mind paying a bit more for the product up front to get this kind of service.

I hear you on that one!!  Our border has become such a pain.........

L&M carries both those lines.  Are you in or near Victoria or somewhere more remote on the Island?  They have an L&M store in Victoria.  They've been good to me with borrowing gear for shootouts.

Nathan Rousu

zakco

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 02:40:33 PM »

Actually L&M is my local dealer and yes, they are generally really good about letting me demo gear that they stock. They have the toft EQ in stock, but apparently they don't stock Speck products. They WILL order one in for me, but it would be a special order situation only with no option to return it other than for repair...

I called Speck directly and they don't have ANY canadian dealers that keep an inventory of their products. Bummer.

I'm going to rent the Toft unit for a week and see how it works for me, but I'd really love to hear the Speck too...

-Z-

PookyNMR

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 11:29:13 PM »

Bummer indeed.  Will Speck deal direct?  Will they do a direct demo?

Nathan Rousu

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 08:17:45 AM »

I'm almost positive that Vince [Speck] will be more than happy to send you units for trial... give him a call at +1 760-723-4281 or pop out an email to: sales@speck.com

As for the border thing, the box should be clearly marked "return from repair" and the transit invoice should reflect the "repair bill".  FedEx is usually the best for 'return for repair' shipments... they seem to have the customs thing way more together than UPS or Purolator [and way fucking better than the morons at DHeLl]
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 29 January 2007 08:17

FedEx is usually the best for 'return for repair' shipments... they seem to have the customs thing way more together than UPS or Purolator...{or DHL}...

You can engrave this in brass and mount it above the doorway  of your office.

PookyNMR

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 02:03:33 PM »

Things can get pretty screwy with the Canadian border.  Things have become silly post 9-11 to appased American concerns.  

Even with FedEx I had a warranty repair get refused entry back into Canada 3 times.  No explanation given why it was refused and why it was suddenly accepted on try #4.
Nathan Rousu

Fletcher

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 02:29:25 PM »

Sound, being a highly subjective event, leads the advice back to trying all involved... with that said... the EQ in the Toft ATC-2 [which is more closely based on the Trident "80 Series" EQ than the AFC-2's EQ] is a wonderfully musical event [at least in my world] and should perhaps be considered for your application... or, if you can squeeze a pair of the Portico 5033's into your budget then that would really be a lovely road to travel.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

zakco

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »

The porticos are a little out of my budget at this time, but I'll contact Speck directly and see if I can arrange a demo. I'll also have a listen to the ATC-2 as well. I can get a demo unit of that fairly easily.

Thanks,

-Z-

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 08:31:58 AM »

It is a surprisingly good box... hell, they're all pretty good boxes.  Best of luck with the search.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.