R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: comparing bass traps  (Read 3783 times)

allemande

comparing bass traps
« on: January 22, 2007, 02:38:44 PM »

Hello all,

this is my first posting on this forum- thanks for the opportunity. As I'm contemplating an acoustic upgrade to my 18X28 feet room with a gambrel shaped roof (triangular with an apex point 11' high) I want to choose the best way to improve low frequency issues. After using the room for several years I am aware of a significant buldup around 80 Hz (confirmed with a Mix Reference test tone CD). Since I have the apex in the ceiling (see photo) I may have these options:

-Buy 4" bass traps from GIK, ReadyAcoustics, or RealTraps (how do they compare?);
or
-Build a bass trap along the ceiling by framing it out with 2X4s that are mounted app. 18"  below ceiling, along the slanted walls. Then put a ceiling material (like Celotex 1/2"?) that is mounted to these 2X4s and filling the newly created cavity with batten insulation. A cloth covering could make this look pretty nice...

What do you think?

More info in this regard would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Hansindex.php/fa/4082/0/index.php/fa/4082/0/

franman

Re: comparing bass traps
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:35:27 PM »

First issue is to confirm that there is indeed a high pressure level at 80Hz in the spot you want to put traps! This is important. If you place traps in a pressure null, they will do almost nothing.

All the traps you list a reputable products or you can do a little reading and build some tuned helmholtz resonators *like a ported reflex cabinet, or some membrane traps. Membrane traps tuned in 1/3 octave centers are also available from RPG as well.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

allemande

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:42:39 AM »

Thanks, Francis. Can you point me towards a good resource for building a Helmholtz resonator, or a broadband trap? I have searched around the Net for a while and found fragments here and there, but you probably have a better idea how to research this. As you look at the photo in my message, there is a space between the rafters and the rear wall- perfect for a good size trap, no?

Best wishes,

Hans

franman

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 12:05:09 PM »

Try the master handbook of acoustics.
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Ethan Winer

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 05:28:44 PM »

Fran,

> All the traps you list a reputable products <

I just sent you an email about that. Confused

--Ethan

franman

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »

ah... okay Ethan, I see the reference now... I guess I'm guilty of giving the listed products the benefit of the doubt, although I have actually not used any of these particular products including yours... I see the principals as reputable, not necessarily the vendors.. of course, we feel that real traps come from a reputable concept AS WELL AS vendor!! Very Happy
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Ethan Winer

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »

Fran,

> we feel that real traps come from a reputable concept AS WELL AS vendor!! Very Happy <

If you're willing, I would love to visit you in person some day and bring some of our traps and diffusors etc to show you in person.

--Ethan

franman

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 09:25:48 PM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Thu, 08 February 2007 17:59

Fran,

> we feel that real traps come from a reputable concept AS WELL AS vendor!! Very Happy <

If you're willing, I would love to visit you in person some day and bring some of our traps and diffusors etc to show you in person.

--Ethan

anytime buddy... we're in Mahopac and we have a nice demo setup, but even we can always use more bass trapping!!
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 19 queries.