R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking Notes  (Read 18878 times)

twelfthandvine

Re: Taking Notes
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2007, 09:02:31 PM »

Late to this thread ... always keep notes.  

Used to do paperless and save with session, but now paper faceplate templates and scribbles.

Regards,

Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

carlsaff

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2007, 07:43:17 AM »

Garrett H wrote on Sun, 28 January 2007 16:01

I envy those of you who never have call backs for things.  However, I'm always getting requests to add a track, match a new b-side to the original CD, re-do a song where there is a new guitar player, whatever.  WIthout notes I would be a mess.

There's another situation in my particular case that makes notes essential. I do sample tracks for potential first-time clients. Often, they will take days or weeks to get back to me, as they wait to receive sample tracks from several studios, and by the time they call back, I will have forgotten most of what I did with my analog chain for the sample. Great to have notes about that, as the sample is at least a good jumping off point, if not an outright template, for the full project. Most of the time, if they like the sample, they want the final version of that track (even if the final mix is  slightly different) to sound *exactly* the same as the sample pass.

conficio

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2007, 08:49:09 AM »

Viitalahde wrote on Sun, 28 January 2007 10:20

..And for the PC guys (though I still write down my notes by hand):

http://www.openoffice.org

Certainly a good choice for clear crisp notes.

Has anybody, tried to use a Wiki server? I think it is ideal to structure your notes and have links to the multiple dimensions of Song, Artist, Client, Contact at the Client, Recording, Project, etc.

Phil Demetro

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2007, 01:32:26 AM »

Mark Wilder wrote on Sun, 28 January 2007 18:27

+2@anything at Bernie's or TML relates to nothing on the face of the earth.  Like the pirate's code, "it's only a guideline".

Mark, if you're still reading this thread could you explain this a bit more?

Thanks

bblackwood

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2007, 01:45:36 AM »

Phil Demetro wrote on Tue, 30 January 2007 00:32

+2@anything at Bernie's or TML relates to nothing on the face of the earth.  Like the pirate's code, "it's only a guideline".

I imagine he's referring to the fact that both of those houses use proprietary EQs, not an off-the-shelf model as most folks do, so the EQ notes would only work in their facility...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Mark Wilder

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2007, 12:17:15 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 30 January 2007 01:45

I imagine he's referring to the fact that both of those houses use proprietary EQs, not an off-the-shelf model as most folks do, so the EQ notes would only work in their facility...

In a nutshell.  Now the values might not actually be db, but it never makes sense either way.  Also the chain, machine, everything else plays into this.

I'm remastering a series of fusion records for vinyl release in Japan.  I have the pressing, the master and the notes.  In listening to the master, looking at the notes, comparing to the original vinyl, I cannot figure out how they got to the vinyl from the master with the EQ they've written down.

But you might be able to say the same if you saw my notes and tried to do a recall from them in your room.
Mark Wilder

Phil Demetro

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2007, 12:41:34 PM »

Mark Wilder wrote on Tue, 30 January 2007 12:17

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 30 January 2007 01:45

In a nutshell.  Now the values might not actually be db, but it never makes sense either way.  Also the chain, machine, everything else plays into this.

I'm remastering a series of fusion records for vinyl release in Japan.  I have the pressing, the master and the notes.  In listening to the master, looking at the notes, comparing to the original vinyl, I cannot figure out how they got to the vinyl from the master with the EQ they've written down.

But you might be able to say the same if you saw my notes and tried to do a recall from them in your room.

Thanks,
This kind of stuff is as fascinating as it gets!

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.