R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracking critique?  (Read 2722 times)

sadmachines0

Tracking critique?
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:31:34 AM »

My band recently spent a weekend recording drums at a really great local studio. We got back home and listened to them on a bunch of different playback systems and started to notice a few things we were not all together happy with. We contemplated going back to the studio and paying to have it re-tracked, but ultimately we decided against it.

Still curious, we recently set up the drums in our little project studio, and tracked the drums ourselves. We spent a lot of time on mic placement and were able to get some sounds we liked.

Now here's the catch: After A/Bing the studio recorded drums with the self-recorded drums, we're not real sure which we like better!

So here's my point (finally): I was wondering if I posted links to those two sets of tracks, would you guys be interested in critiquing them? I'm not looking to get them mixed a la IMP, just if you were to get these tracks as mix AE's, which would you prefer?

Adam Miller

Re: Tracking critique?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 07:47:55 AM »

Post away! It might be worth saying what the recordings are for- a demo, something to sell at gigs, a full-blown record... just to give us an idea of what standard you're aiming for.

Adam

Thomas Lester

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:00:09 AM »

Yeah... post away, but don't tell us which one is which, so we have a true blind taste test.

-Tom

sadmachines0

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:57:48 AM »

It's for a full blown record, but we're still a smaller sized, newish band. We're going to do some more tracking tonight, and I'll throw the tracks up on ftp once I'm done.

I'll definitely keep it blind. I'll also not comment on the mics used, preamps, etc.

Thanks guys!

dconstruction

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 11:06:56 AM »

If you can, try to match levels, too.  I'm constantly fooled by things that sound "better," only to realize they're just louder.

sadmachines0

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »

My initial thought was to simply provide the multi tracks of both tracking sessions. 24/48 rar compressed. I don't want my mix to mislead, either. =]

sadmachines0

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 10:27:22 PM »

Sorry to let everyone down, but the band decided to go with the tracks we paid for. ;] If I get the chance, I'll still upload both, but we didn't do any more tracking, unfortunately.

Sorry guys!

Scott

ScotcH

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 11:15:41 PM »

I'd be curious to hear the difference, since I'm in the middle of tracking right now.  If nothing else, it'll give me raw tracks to compare to, which is always worth while!
Arek Wojciechowski - Laundry Room, Basement, Garage, Bedroom, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 19 queries.