R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicianship/Engineering and Weed.  (Read 20358 times)

ryan656

Musicianship/Engineering and Weed.
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:59:35 PM »

I wanted to bring this topic over from the Rap + Hip Hop engineering forum at gearslutz (hope thats not a big deal) because I really wanted to see what you guys thought.

Just from reading both forums you can tell the people here are more experienced and "professional" with their work.  I thought it would be interesting to compare answers.

The main questions were:

So does smoking weed -

a) Make you a better musician/producer/engineer
b) Make you think you are a better musician/producer/engineer
c) Make you a worse musician/producer/engineer
d) Different for everyone
e) All the above

Version

Re: Musicianship/Engineering and Weed.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 07:06:37 PM »

Smoking is ok, I guess it depends on your personal capabilities and comfort level. I may have a puff or two near the end of the evening. It's a foolish to think that any external substance is going to make you a better engineer. If that's what you think, it's kind of sad.

more about drugs in the studio:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/357/2574/1 1690/#msg_2574

jetbase

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:16:23 PM »

Version wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 11:06

It's a foolish to think that any external substance is going to make you a better engineer. If that's what you think, it's kind of sad.

That's just what I was thinking. I don't smoke weed, but I am generally wary of substances which alter your senses when you are making critical decisions. I even stay away from alcohol when pulling sounds or mixing.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:42:50 PM »

answer to all the above;
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown.

lol.
god bless 'im.
Leonardo Valvassori

maxdimario

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:54:48 PM »

the way you FEEL at the moment makes an influence on all your artistic decisions.

I wouldn't trust an engineer who is visibly under the influence because of technical reasons.

Barish

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 07:55:35 PM »

C in my case, and whether I am more (or less) experienced and "professional" than some is irrelevant.

I think that the notion that one needs doping in order to achieve something that he/she normally can't is rather sad.

It's like surrendering to a weakness in order to be superior (???).

Oxymoron to me.

B.
M Ozturk

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 08:17:18 PM »

My answer may not be agreeable to some, but...

No drug, including pot, is helpful in any way.

I am totally against them.

Of course, I don't even drink, and if I could make the laws, no one else would, either.

So maybe I'm biased.

RSettee

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:23:10 PM »

Barish wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 18:55

C in my case, and whether I am more (or less) experienced and "professional" than some is irrelevant.

I think that the notion that one needs doping in order to achieve something that he/she normally can't is rather sad.

It's like surrendering to a weakness in order to be superior (???).

Oxymoron to me.

B.

Yep, I totally agree. I might have an occasional beer here or there when I work on my stuff, but to be wasted or extremely high? I mean, I think that the mix changes enough due to one's  day to day mood or external factors as it is, let alone not remembering why or how you did what. See, when I used to get high, I used to know why I did things, but I think that it's the "how" aspect that intrigues people to smoke the plant and then end up with this creative outburst that they otherwise can't duplicate when sober.

Also, bands that do it before rehearsals or recording--extremely bad idea. I took a toke once did before we did a demo, and the mix turned out horrible, we all agreed that it was good at the time, though. My drummer had started to open up the sound board while I was tracking guitar, and I still don't have an explanation for that, haha. We all laughed about it, but really, it was kinda stupid.

I also left another band because before every rehearsal, they'd have to get high to "create", and then they'd come to the next rehearsal and forget what we did! If this is what they have to do in order to be good, I guess that every pothead out there seeks out the "high" aspect in creativity that I get from sobriety. Like I say, i'm totally for a beer here or there, but getting massively high or drunk before you do anything musically is just totally unprofessional, to me. Even when it's a "for fun" scenario, it's just totally inappropriate to do.

The worst part though--alot of dopehead musicians (and dopeheads in general) feel the need to articulate or preface/ bookend everything that they say with, "man was I so high" or whatever. Mind you, i've known alot of intelligent people that have used drugs, but I could much rather do without the constant, "whoa I was so high" or "man was that a big joint" or whatever. Especially when they're around someone like me who no longer "uses", and it really comes across as unintelligent. Been there, done it, dropped alot of friends because their life revolved around getting high when I wanted to change and not use anymore. You quickly realize that all you had in common was the stupid "getting high" stories as being the pinnacle in one's life or whatever.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 08:25:36 PM »

If the music is utterly boring and you do not make enough money to be in the studio, by all means open a bottle of wine or down a couple of cold ones.

Then again, if this happens often one should question why you're doing it and how things could be different.

I don't touch drugs, life is weird enough as it is. I am very fond of beer and some assorted liqours however.

Whenever I drink heaps of alcohol I tend to record myself singing foul words. In German.

It's actually become somewhat of an underground following.

As for everything else I do in the studio, I pass on stimulants and such.

Except for coffee. (Waiting for someone in Bahamas to comment any moment now)

Ps. If you do Reggae, dub or minimalistic electronica, please ignore this message and carry on as usual.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Barish

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 08:32:21 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 01:25

As for everything else I do in the studio, I pass on stimulants and such.

Except for coffee. (Waiting for someone in Bahamas to comment any moment now)

Hey, serve a coffee to Terry one afternoon and see for yourself how sobering experience it is.

Been there, done that too.

And if I had the chance, I'd do it again.

And again.

And again.

B.
M Ozturk

Todd Loomis

• Real Full Name: Todd Loomis
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »

I experimented in my early 20s...  enough to feel like it sapped a lot of my motivation and clarity during that period of my life...  and now I'm trying to play catch-up for a lot of mistakes I made back then.  I had some interesting experiences, but in some ways, I almost feel like it caused me to become less of a person - it might have opened my eyes a bit I guess- but opened them to something meaningful?  I don't know about that...

Now, I'm straight edge - no caffiene, no nicotine, alcohol, etc., vegetarian - going vegan again soon (hopefully almost entirely raw).

I prefer "real" things...  even if they're just "real" fantasies, or "real" emotions.

If I'm going to pay an engineer to work with me, I would seriously prefer they be sober - and really "good", and enthusiastic, and generally full of good energy - while sober.

Who wants to take the taxi if the driver is wasted?

CHANCE

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »

Been there done that and I thank God that it is all behind me. I look back and now can see what a waste those days were. I could have done so much more in my lifetime, if I had never "twisted one up", or tipped a bottle. At the time it seemed fun and cool, It seemed fun to run across the Mass pike on acid (LSD or shrooms) and by Gods grace I did it and lived. Yeah, a lot of fun, especially heaving my guts out after being drunk. Loads of fun. (Yeah right) LOL
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

organica

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »

weed doesn't work for me
& I don't smoke anything else either
I'd hate to be flying an HD3 + rig or whatever and be intoxicated
that would really suck for me personally ....... it just wouldn't happen

the only exceptions ( sort of ) would be if I don't have a client and I'm doing something fairly mindless in the evening , I may have a drink or two ...( but that's at my home studio ) or if it's a low key remote recording at a nightclub ( but not much )

Curve Dominant

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 10:19:44 PM »

If i'm producing a recording for a weed-smoker, I tell him/her/them my rule is:

"No recording while stoned. Don't smoke the day of a session. Bring the herb if you want, but we won't take one puff until after all the day's work is done. Then, we'll get high and listen back to what we recorded."

I'm not big on the herb myself, but I'll puff a tad with the client after hours if they want to hang for a bit. It gives us a chance to 'talk deep" about the project, and listen to the tracks with "detached ears."

One local rockstar singer dude I recorded not long ago, is a serious pothead. On the first vocal sessiion, he came in stoned, and the results were rather lame. I pointed this out to him, and laid down my rule: record sober from now on. He did, and we made a dynomite album, and he still thanks me for that.

thedoc

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 10:24:56 PM »

Drugs can only bring negative results in life and in music.
Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.