R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a Second Eq. Suggestions up to U$3500 range? Analog M-s or expand ST  (Read 9820 times)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

• Real Full Name: Alécio T. Costa

Hi,

I have been using the following chain for some time:

Pre EQ PSP MAster Q >> DAW AES OUT Digidesign 192 IO Digital >> Hedd 192 d/a >> Crane Song Ibis EQ >> Pendulum OCL2 (with physical sidechain) >> Crane Song STC8 >> Hedd 192 a/d >> Pro Tools HD Digidesign 192 Digital AES In> Daw ( PSP Neon HR M-S Mode > PSP Master Q > PSP Xenon > TC BW Limiter II from MD3 Suite).

I have considered two ideas:
a) Doing M-S in analog chain, thus the need to add a second analog EQ;

b) Adding a second Eq in stereo mode after the STC8, prior to Hedd a/d stage;

I am still not sure which idea would provide me better results.

I am more than satisfied with the present chain, but we are always trying to improve a bit.

As a second EQ, I have considered buying:

1) another Ibis EQ ( already accustomed to it).. although seems weird picking same brand/mode/sound...

2) Millenia NSEQ unmodded. No logistics to buy, send to FF, wait and so...

3) Avalon 2055 ( People have pointed me in the past as sounding hifi, pillowed low end).

I would like to buy something fancier like the Buzz Audio EQ or a GM EQ, but are out of my budget!

Any ideas are greatly welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

lowland

Hi Alécio,

A nice little problem to have!

How fixed is that budget? I see the Great River MAQ-2NV is $4350 at Mercenary and Sweetwater, so presumably you could find one second hand more in your range (they do come up from time to time) if you couldn't stretch to new.

I can't praise this EQ highly enough, and am continually surprised it's not much more prevalent in mastering than it is - it has little in the way of a downside and much to recommend it, such as being all-switched, having a stereo link mode and, most importantly, a lovely sound that also somehow manages to be neutral. Although I haven't used the Ibis personally, from what I hear I would imagine the two would complement each other well - if you liked the MAQ I imagine you'd then be set EQ-wise for some time to come.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

Laarsø

• Real Full Name: Laars Oglethorpe, V

How about you hire Jaakko to make a Barry Porter clone?  With two different irons switchable?  Then add Dangerous Sum Difference.  Patch and hard bypass, as needed.  I'd rather see you have two analog eq's in the chain than two compressors.  But, with High Passed side-chain, is less compromise and more solution.

Cheersø,
     Laarsø
Laars Oglethorpe, V
Space Camp CD Premastering
Pivot dub lab vinyl products and consulting

Alécio Costa - Brazil

Thanks, Laarso.
In fact I rarely take more than 1db of gain reduction with each compressor.

Barry Porter EQ clone could be great!

And what is your opinion about my question II, the second EQ doing M-s in analog world x  additional  ST EQ after Stc8, prior to Hedd a/d?

I guess you have already answered it, mentioning the M-S Matrix...
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hi, Nigel
Millenia Nseq-2 , Avalon 2055 or even a second Ibis EQ could be great and are under the U$3500 ceiling!

Brad, what is your opinion considering the second EQ doing Analog M-S xthis same  Stereo EQ after the STC8, prior to Hedd a/d?
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

lowland

Hi, Nigel
Millenia Nseq-2 , Avalon 2055 or even a second Ibis EQ could be great and are under the U$3500 ceiling!

I'm sure you're right, Alécio, though I don't know those EQs. I guess the MAQ will just have to remain 'my' little secret a while longer (Mwahahaha! etc.).

All that said, second hand can help reduce outlay for a good return - all the best with your search.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

dietrich

• Real Full Name: ds

Used market could bring you a Massive Passive which would be a much different flavor in your chain.

bblackwood

The Ibis is a beast in M/S mode - just look for a good stereo EQ and strap the M/S box around the Ibis...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hi, Brad

You mean puting Ibis to M-S mode and picking another EQ for the regular Stereo Processing?
Ibis doing the analog lift at stereo here has been great too.
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

Ed Littman

• Real Full Name: Ed Littman

This is what I do. nothing like a little color on the sides to focus some crunchy panned guitars. Or pushing 104hz in the center to bring out the kick.
Ed
Hi,

I have been using the following chain for some time:

Pre EQ PSP MAster Q >> DAW AES OUT Digidesign 192 IO Digital >> Hedd 192 d/a >> Crane Song Ibis EQ >> Pendulum OCL2 (with physical sidechain) >> Crane Song STC8 >> Hedd 192 a/d >> Pro Tools HD Digidesign 192 Digital AES In> Daw ( PSP Neon HR M-S Mode > PSP Master Q > PSP Xenon > TC BW Limiter II from MD3 Suite).

I have considered two ideas:
a) Doing M-S in analog chain, thus the need to add a second analog EQ;

b) Adding a second Eq in stereo mode after the STC8, prior to Hedd a/d stage;

I am still not sure which idea would provide me better results.

I am more than satisfied with the present chain, but we are always trying to improve a bit.

As a second EQ, I have considered buying:

1) another Ibis EQ ( already accustomed to it).. although seems weird picking same brand/mode/sound...

2) Millenia NSEQ unmodded. No logistics to buy, send to FF, wait and so...

3) Avalon 2055 ( People have pointed me in the past as sounding hifi, pillowed low end).

I would like to buy something fancier like the Buzz Audio EQ or a GM EQ, but are out of my budget!

Any ideas are greatly welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
The Ibis is a beast in M/S mode - just look for a good stereo EQ and strap the M/S box around the Ibis...

Alécio Costa - Brazil

HUn??
104?

:)
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

bblackwood

Hi, Brad

You mean puting Ibis to M-S mode and picking another EQ for the regular Stereo Processing?
Yep, exactly.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering

I am just about to do exactly this - as soon as my son lets me get in enough time to finish soldering.....
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack

It is a tricky price point IMO, at least in UK where there is more choice a little higher up in price. I was incredibly underwhelmed by eq's I heard in this category. Seemingly shining in 1 particular band or being of dubious build quality. I appreciate good eq is hard to do right. Have fun choosing your eq.

I would have thought the Gyraf G14 would have been something to look at for a colourful choice.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

Mastertone

Jaakko turned me on to this one a while back, anyone played with it?

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/hammer.html
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.